Insurance & bike colour change

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm about to swap the tank cover panel & beak to change the colour from black to white. I will be notifying DVLA of the colour change.
Nowhere on my insurance document does it state the colour of the bike. Do I need to inform my insurance company of the colour change?

£25 fee by the any of changes.

Wouldn’t have thought it makes much difference. As long as dvla knows, that is what ins co might refer to

It’s not a change if they didn’t ask for the colour in the first place

You'll be OK with that colour. If you were to paint it red they would up your premium.

Is it not a change from the original specification, which they do ask about - and would probably be listed as 'custom paint'.

Is it not a change from the original specification, which they do ask about - and would probably be listed as 'custom paint'.

Ah yes, but the OP isn't repainting his panels ..... He's replacing like for like, that just happen to be a different colour :green gri

If it were me, then I wouldn't bother telling them. But I would let the DVLA know :thumb2

I change the panels on my sportsbike (BMW HP4 Carbon) every couple of years just to make it look different and always take a picture of the new colour scheme and email it to my insurance company, informing them it is purely cosmetic and has no performance upgrades to the engine brakes etc. My V5 states multi-coloured and I bought the bike brand new.

They have always acknowledged the changes and accept it with no premium change but do tell me that in the event of a claim they would replace any panels with the original coloured ones only.

I do this for piece of mind as a joiner who I work with had his insurance cancelled as his transit van was black but on the V5 it was white, they wouldn't even insure him at a new premium even though he had been with them 20 years and never had a claim.......

I don't understand the ins and outs of the reasons but wouldn't like to give them the chance not to pay out if the worst happens due to non disclosure. Could be the best £25 you'll spend this year, it's not even a tank of fuel.

I'm sure some guys on here work in insurance and can explain what to do for the best.

JimmyMac

I've never been asked what colour my bikes are when getting insurance so would only inform DVLA, and it's a requirement to do so anyway.

However, when my girlfriend's car had been wrapped and colour changed, she asked her insurer about it and they charged her an extra £50 on the premium.

Back
Top Bottom