Africa Twin Adventure Sport

Fitted the Bumot pannier frames today. The screw they supply to fit into the long hex nut under the rear mudguard is a bit short - it only engages by a few threads, so I used the OEM screw (5 mm longer) and put a washer under the head of the allen screw that goes in from underneath. Also, the top crossmember does not have slotted holes, so there is no free play to get the fixing screws lined up perfectly before tightening, so I ground them out a little to get them to line up right. Apart from that, my mistake was dropping one of the small allen screws what holds the rear mudguard in pace, only to hear it rattle its way down the frame tube, so it's off to the dealer for a screw tomorrow before finishing the job. Pics once it's actually finished!

Fitted the Bumot pannier frames today. The screw they supply to fit into the long hex nut under the rear mudguard is a bit short - it only engages by a few threads, so I used the OEM screw (5 mm longer) and put a washer under the head of the allen screw that goes in from underneath. Also, the top crossmember does not have slotted holes, so there is no free play to get the fixing screws lined up perfectly before tightening, so I ground them out a little to get them to line up right. Apart from that, my mistake was dropping one of the small allen screws what holds the rear mudguard in pace, only to hear it rattle its way down the frame tube, so it's off to the dealer for a screw tomorrow before finishing the job. Pics once it's actually finished!

Strange as had no issues fitting mine

e281a5f425a3dd41058892ec97fe0f52.jpg
8d36ce0b742afe193647b63ab54fb62c.jpg

Strange as had no issues fitting mine

e281a5f425a3dd41058892ec97fe0f52.jpg
8d36ce0b742afe193647b63ab54fb62c.jpg

The holes were only a couple of mm out, there is probably some variation when the long nuts are fitted, but no slack in the cross member. They look good fitted in your picture, hope to be there this week.

Collected mine today.. first non-bmw I've owned for 21 years.. bought my first R1100GS back in the day when "adventure" wasn't a "thing".

I was lucky to nab a 30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.. with a very good discount. will be keeping my old tractor until march probably and then see if i can find someone my height to buy it.. 'as is'.

Ive already priced up a pair of Alpina wheels.. for the new year, for me and my purposes that is by far the most obvious if not essential upgrade.

Changed my mind about the Alpinas.. and have ordered a pair of Kineos. order placed on the 20th and they tell me to expect delivery in 10 weeks or less.

A bit more expensive than the Alpinas. but I like the wacky look of them as well as the fact that the rims are solid, with just one hole for the Valve. I went for all black as the bike is more than 'Blingy' enough. Gloss Black rims, hubs, spokes and spoke ends.

Changed my mind about the Alpinas.. and have ordered a pair of Kineos. order placed on the 20th and they tell me to expect delivery in 10 weeks or less.

A bit more expensive than the Alpinas. but I like the wacky look of them as well as the fact that the rims are solid, with just one hole for the Valve. I went for all black as the bike is more than 'Blingy' enough. Gloss Black rims, hubs, spokes and spoke ends.

They certainly are different and very nice but at £2500 not a cheap upgrade as you say .

Had mine 2 months now.. And although it doesn't fit me, that's easily dealt with, it's not painful, just not quite perfect. (6'7 in my boots) I will be lowering the pegs by 2" and fitting Rox risers... Making do at the moment as I'm still in recovery mode after ordering the new wheels. Once they arrive and I can be rid of the tubes then the tweaking can begin. I did fit a shorty screen though as it was cheap. Keeping the original for touring. Screen makes the bike feel almost like a naked, or somewhat like my old 1100 with the MRA lower only, which I find perfectly adequate. Looks cool too.
5 weeks gone on the wheels, 5 more to go.

A fella on another forum has told me that original Tourances will just fit, he has them on his own bike. Happy days.

Had mine 2 months now.. And although it doesn't fit me, that's easily dealt with, it's not painful, just not quite perfect. (6'7 in my boots) I will be lowering the pegs by 2" and fitting Rox risers... Making do at the moment as I'm still in recovery mode after ordering the new wheels. Once they arrive and I can be rid of the tubes then the tweaking can begin. I did fit a shorty screen though as it was cheap. Keeping the original for touring. Screen makes the bike feel almost like a naked, or somewhat like my old 1100 with the MRA lower only, which I find perfectly adequate. Looks cool too.
5 weeks gone on the wheels, 5 more to go.

A fella on another forum has told me that original Tourances will just fit, he has them on his own bike. Happy days.

This guy will make pegs to suit. He has -40 mm as a standard option, these are -30 mm.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/497967-ATAS-Lower-Pegs

To update the thread....

I bought a 2018 GSA Rallye

Glad I did

Post over!

Back
Top Bottom