Africa Twin Adventure Sport

Big Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Saw one in a dealers today, liked it and liked the price, think I’ll get one

Post over!!

I'm fairly sure it'll be my next bike. Hopefully by then they'll have put cruise on it but the rest of the add ons to the standard AT are precisely what I'd want...especially the slightly larger tank. Looks a great travel bike. So; manual or DCT for you then ?

First impressions are important :thumb2 now you need to have a go. Have to say I really like mine it feels very well balanced, comfortable and sounds great.

I assume the back end is the same on the standard AT and the Adventure Sport so pannier racks that fit the AT will also fit the ATAS ? Ta

There are a few tweeks on the rear light/mudguard area, but panniers will fit. Top box will not though, unless an aftermarket company comes up with an adaptor attachment plate.

I did 275 miles on an ATAS DCT a few weekends ago. They look gorgeous and I wanted it to ride well as I'd decided I'd buy one if it did.

My first impression after a few minutes was that I loved it. However, that changed once I got to an 80mph cruising speed. The buffeting on my head was unbelievable. It felt like there was whacker plate attached to my helmet. It was so bad I couldn't even read the number plates of cars I was alongside. I only stopped it by leaning forward to get right behind the screen. I was surprised there is no adjustment on the screen at all, I would've expected at least that option.

This doesn't stop it being a fantastic bike for someone taller or shorter (if the buffeting is height specific). I'm 5' 11" so not unusually short or tall and have never had anything like that before on any bike. My TC GSA is super smooth and quiet.

Shame as I really wanted to like it... :(

I’m 5’11” and I’m on my third replacement screen in the quest to find a good solution to the head bobble. Wearing a TourX, the best screen so far has been an MRA sports screen which is basically the shortest on offer. I’ve now got a medium Touratech rally style screen fitted, but I’ve already cut the top upstand portion off it to see if that helps. It was fine up to 60, but beyond that, the vibration started to make itself noticable again. I haven’t been out on the bike since altering the TT screen.

It seems the ultimate solution is to fit the wind blocker thing to the petrol tank sold by Rugged Roads or similar items by others, but it looks a tad ugly. It beats me how Honda have let this ‘flaw’ through the design process. If they’d added the plastic shield fitted to the bottom yoke like KTM, BM and other manufacturers have done, it’d be a much nicer bike to ride.

I demo'd one the other week and as above the head buffeting was awful but something I'm sure can be overcome. I really liked it, so much so I'm taking it out again tomorrow to make a decision on, bye bye bmw me thinks.

I’m 5’11” and I’m on my third replacement screen in the quest to find a good solution to the head bobble. Wearing a TourX, the best screen so far has been an MRA sports screen which is basically the shortest on offer. I’ve now got a medium Touratech rally style screen fitted, but I’ve already cut the top upstand portion off it to see if that helps. It was fine up to 60, but beyond that, the vibration started to make itself noticable again. I haven’t been out on the bike since altering the TT screen.

It seems the ultimate solution is to fit the wind blocker thing to the petrol tank sold by Rugged Roads or similar items by others, but it looks a tad ugly. It beats me how Honda have let this ‘flaw’ through the design process. If they’d added the plastic shield fitted to the bottom yoke like KTM, BM and other manufacturers have done, it’d be a much nicer bike to ride.

wind blocker thing does not work for me. I'm on my third screen/attachment thing. I get wind up under my chin. The aero dynamics on the AT are not good. But its a nice ride. Manual next time for me though

The aero dynamics on the AT are not good. But its a nice ride. Manual next time for me though

In reality, mine is ok, or at least i’m Ok with it. I don’t expect to be cosseted as it’s not an RT etc. If I was buying another, I’d most likely go with the DCT.

When I rode one, the wind blast up via the forks/clocks and from the screen was awful

So much so it put me off the bike, in this respect the bike is unfinished and not fit for my intended purpose of touring

I've not ridden the ATAS but when I had my AT with tall seat and tall screen it was fine.
Did 5000 miles on it touring all over Hebrides and to the Dolomites and back and I thought the screen was just fine.

wind blocker thing does not work for me. I'm on my third screen/attachment thing. I get wind up under my chin. The aero dynamics on the AT are not good. But its a nice ride. Manual next time for me though
Wind blocker def worked for me! i also bought the powerbronze touring screen and a vrash helmet without a peak all good now. DTC for me love it.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I'm 6ft. I didn't have too much of a problem at motorway speeds with a bog standard AT on a demo ride. Now I run one I replaced the standard with an MRA with the top spoiler. Can't honestly say that it makes a huge difference but I can alter windflow by altering it slightly if I want.
I don't ride at 80plus for sustained lengths of time, unless it is a one off ride to the South Coast for a ferry crossing, so a bit of windblast doesn't bother me. It's a bike and I expect to be hammered by the elements not cosseted in a vacuum.

+1

Tubed Tyres, Off Road Knobblies, peaked helmet, all contribute to a max speed of 80mph anyways.

So I just chill out and enjoy my day.

Took another shot this morning and I was even more impressed with the DCT. In sport 3 the dealer said to me it'll ride to the red line before it changes, seeing as the roads were damp I didn't thrash it but it was just changing as normal, strange I thought, until you rip it back, then it goes to the red line and changes, very impressed, it's a yes from but no cruise control is deffo an oversight.

I own a dct version and stuck the kaiko cruise on control on mine, I would have just put a cheap finger operated one for £12 but the grips are not very wide and I’ve got big hands. The kaiko is a bit fiddly but ok when your on the motorway and just need a break, I’m off to France next week for a few days so hope the weather is nice or I may bottle it and go on my GSA :)

Back
Top Bottom