16500 miles and the clutch is slipping.WTF .

I see more than a few bikes with worn out clutches at under 30k miles and as low as 18k miles. If they're used for commuting in heavy traffic and the rider feathers the clutch or rides the clutch the majority of time it'll wear out. It's a single plate dry clutch, Just use it as a switch to change gear and not to adjust speed/progress in heavy traffic.

And as you've said before, if people had seen the size of the release bearing, they wouldn't sit at lights in gear with the clutch in.

I wonder how the op is getting on with his as he's not come back to reply,

I never did it myself, and had a recommendation from Fin at his shop in Redhill to use Brian and John who have a little workshop in Outwood.
Stripped it, and found nothing wrong.
The flywheel looked like it had burn pits on it.
Plenty of meat on the clutch.
Changed the lot, and the slave.
£1250 later it’s not slipping

Is it possible I an knocking the bejaysus out of it on my commute ?
I see Neil has advised to use it as a switch not to make progress

I managed to knock a clutch out of an 1150GSA in 20,000
Same commute
How good is the clutch in a Hex ?

I never did it myself, and had a recommendation from Fin at his shop in Redhill to use Brian and John who have a little workshop in Outwood.

Same commute

Found nothing wrong but you changed the lot, blimey, there must have been a reason I'd be worried that you didn't find out why it was slipping?

?

£1250 ....... !!!!!!!

Should have bought a Honda slush box bike.

The BMW wearing part costs £100 (unless you chew the flywheel and pressure plate by riding it slipping).

Same commute

Out of gear if waiting at lights Much wiser not to hold teh clutch in if at lights queues etc

AND don't don't slip it all the time in traffic either!

The GSA had an option for a lower bottom gear which has to be good in slow traffic queues. We can’t always filter.
Mine has the standard bottom gear ratio making it hard work on the clutch (and my hand) in walking speed jams.

I’ve got my 09 gs clutch slipping with hard acceleration in 5th and 6th gears at around 5 -6000rpm and mine has only covered 11000 miles. I removed the starter and there doesn’t appear to be any oil on any part of the clutch or housing I can get at .I also checked the fluid level and removed some as a precaution to get the level bang on, checked the lever mechanism wasnt catching on the hand guard or lever/mirror bracket and removed and checked the slave cylinder for signs of leakage. All are good and most of its 11000 miles were covered on open roads or motorways, I’m gutted .

I’ve got my 09 gs clutch slipping with hard acceleration in 5th and 6th gears at around 5 -6000rpm and mine has only covered 11000 miles. I removed the starter and there doesn’t appear to be any oil on any part of the clutch or housing I can get at .I also checked the fluid level and removed some as a precaution to get the level bang on, checked the lever mechanism wasn’t catching on the hand guard or lever/mirror bracket and removed and checked the slave cylinder for signs of leakage. All are good and most of its 11000 miles were covered on open roads or motorways, I’m gutted .

The complete clutch and slave cylinder was £700

You were robbed mate.

When I did my 1200 clutch myself just a few years back, parts were just over £400 from Bahnstormer........

Old clutch was mint on disassembly, new clutch still slips occasionally on the gas in 5th/6th with a mind of its own. Replacing/bleeding the fluid has helped slightly.

Gazzauk, you have the same symptoms as my bike at same mileage.

IMO the standard clutch is barely adequate for the load.

IMO the standard clutch is barely adequate for the load.

The driven plate is virtually identical to an ordinary VW Beetle clutch plate. Also made by Sachs for an engine making 1/2 as much power. Though to be fair more low end torque.

It can be replaced with a (expensive) sintered triple puck clutch plate. But that will wear the flywheel and pressure plate more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom