16500 miles and the clutch is slipping.WTF .

Stuttgartmetal

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any replies
Any comments,at all, appreciated.

2013 GSA TC
16500 miles
Good history
The clutch is now slipping when I give some.
I’d a fort the clutch would last longer

What do I do?
How much to change it ?

Dumbfounded

SGM

Check the oil level, at that mileage/age it's likely to be seal leaking oil onto clutch rather than clutch plate worn.

Contact Steptoe or similar, for price etc.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Could be something as silly as clutch lever touching the handguard

...........or too much fluid in the master cylinder. If it looks too high just decant a couple of teaspoons worth.

Andrs

It won't be worn at that mileage unless you've been brutalising it.
Something else is wrong.
Before you do anything expensive... as above, check reservoir and lever.
Then, pull the starter and have a good look inside the housing for oil.

Mine has done 60k and is half worn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an adjuster knob on the inside of the lever make sure no one has been messing with it and left you with no free play

Also the old favourite of the Ball on the end of the lever catching on the hand guard it only needs to have very slight pressure on it to make the clutch slip

yes it has to a seal that maybe has just leaked a tad ,but before you take it bits,do what has been said above,also take the starter motor of so you can see the clutch rotate the engine ,take a plug out of each side and turn the back wheel put it in a high gear and give the clutch a good squiting with brake and parts cleaner ,i am not saying it is going to work ,but it did on my old 1150gs .

... put it in a high gear and give the clutch a good squiting with brake and parts cleaner ,i am not saying it is going to work ,but it did on my old 1150gs .
Isn't there a danger of the brake cleaner damaging the seal in the process of cleaning the clutch plate? :nenau
Not criticising the idea - as i have the same trouble and am considering that... but on a Guzzi! :D

If this was an 1150, then I'd say leaking clutch slave cylinder, with clutch hydraulic fluid travelling along the input shaft & onto the centre plate - not sure whether the 1200 design is the same. Black fluid in the master is the confirmation.

Take it back and demand a refund!!.

£100 for a new clutch plate. Expect the gearbox top left location dowel to be seized. I tapped mine out (M12 IIRC) and used a turned down bolt to jack the gearbox off the engine. Bolt was turned (or could be filed) to slip inside the engine case threads.

Check clutch oil level in reservoir.
Check clutch lever operation
Expect to need a new oil seal on engine or gearbox.

my 12 plate did this at the same miles after id not used the bike for 2 months -took the pushrod out and cleaned it -bled clutch - it slipped for 3-400 miles and went ok -i think it was a bit of a mix of leaving it on sidestand -maybe a leak on main crank seal or rust- it cleared itself -one thing is not to try and make it slip-i it will glaze the plate - i just tried to ride at 3/4 throttle for a while -i was bike laid up for a bit ??

Reminder - don’t use brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics. You need the BMW specified stuff or possibly Citroen LTM will do it. It’s not normal Dot4 stuff.

If it's not abused the clutch should be good for as much as a 100,000 miles, more if lot is long distance motorway work.

I purchased a brand new Adventure in 2009. Clutch started slipping after 21,000 (mainly motorway) miles, and bike less than two years old. Roy Pidcock said it would be covered under warranty only if the cause was found to be oil contamination - any other cause and I'd have to pay. I couldn't risk a bill of close on 1,000 beer tokens, so did it myself. No sign of oil contamination, but the friction plates were completely worn out.

If it's not abused the clutch should be good for as much as a 100,000 miles, more if lot is long distance motorway work.

I hope so, mine is on 84,000 miles now and the clutch has been fine so far.

I purchased a brand new Adventure in 2009. Clutch started slipping after 21,000 (mainly motorway) miles, and bike less than two years old. Roy Pidcock said it would be covered under warranty only if the cause was found to be oil contamination - any other cause and I'd have to pay. I couldn't risk a bill of close on 1,000 beer tokens, so did it myself. No sign of oil contamination, but the friction plates were completely worn out.

What do you expect for a VW Beetle clutch plate. ;)

Back
Top Bottom