Malaga to the Chunnel

Villanjc

Reaction score
Hi

Hooking up with the bikes in Malaga, early July, then riding back to the tunnel.
We have 2 weeks approx to do this.

We have done Pyrenees, Picos and France before, we book on the fly and are pretty laid back regarding schedule etc...

So anything we MUST see or roads we MUST ride?

Any info welcome!

Cheers

Why not do the coast roads Malaga to Girona, then coast road France to Avignon, then get on the famous RN7 up towards Fontainbleau, then cut across to Brittany and come back round the coast Brittany Normandy to the chunnel.

Why not do the coast roads Malaga to Girona, then coast road France to Avignon, then get on the famous RN7 up towards Fontainbleau, then cut across to Brittany and come back round the coast Brittany Normandy to the chunnel.

Sounds a fine plan, thanks

Hmmm, I dunno. I would advise against riding the east coast road in July. No, really. I'm sure Simon 100 will back me up on this. Whilst, indeed, Girona is a lovely city to visit (if you're a GOT fan then they use it for King's Landing scenes), there are many other routes you can take to it.

We mentioned this all on the thread Travelling North to South of Spain. That coast road is dangerous in July; there's no end of nobends driving on it; pissed tourists and it's slow......sooooooo slow because it goes through every.....single.......village which all have the aforementioned nobends.

Have a read throught the thread because there are some other good suggestions on there, maps and info. It's for the opposite way but that doesn't matter.

Hmmm, I dunno. I would advise against riding the east coast road in July. No, really. I'm sure Simon 100 will back me up on this. Whilst, indeed, Girona is a lovely city to visit (if you're a GOT fan then they use it for King's Landing scenes), there are many other routes you can take to it.

We mentioned this all on the thread Travelling North to South of Spain. That coast road is dangerous in July; there's no end of nobends driving on it; pissed tourists and it's slow......sooooooo slow because it goes through every.....single.......village which all have the aforementioned nobends.

Have a read throught the thread because there are some other good suggestions on there, maps and info. It's for the opposite way but that doesn't matter.

Thanks Buddy, love Game of Thrones!

Ha ha, that's not the first time I've seen a 'plug' for me! (BTW Enginerelight, do you have a name?)

Your man is dead right though, the entire Mediterranean coast in Spain is total c*** as far as biking is concerned as is very dangerous indeed in many places.

So if you're in real hurry take the main roads - 'Autovias' and note that several sections have a brilliant National road running nearby that were replaced by the A roads.

So, based on that your route goes inland from Malaga to Granada,Jaen, Tomelloso, Utiel,then a bendy bit to Teruel, Zaragoza, Huesca and finally cross the Pyrenees at Formigal for Pau in France.

But that really would be boring ... and looking back at the OP it looks like you have a week for Spain and a week for France, is that right?

Regs

Simon

Ha ha, that's not the first time I've seen a 'plug' for me! (BTW Enginerelight, do you have a name?)

Your man is dead right though, the entire Mediterranean coast in Spain is total c*** as far as biking is concerned as is very dangerous indeed in many places.

So if you're in real hurry take the main roads - 'Autovias' and note that several sections have a brilliant National road running nearby that were replaced by the A roads.

So, based on that your route goes inland from Malaga to Granada,Jaen, Tomelloso, Utiel,then a bendy bit to Teruel, Zaragoza, Huesca and finally cross the Pyrenees at Formigal for Pau in France.

But that really would be boring ... and looking back at the OP it looks like you have a week for Spain and a week for France, is that right?

Regs

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply!

We are more keen to stay in Spain longer and whizz through France on the way back. We were quite keen to drop in Barcelona for a day or two, but I am now going off the whole idea of the coast roads.
I lived in Spain for 4 years so my Spanish is a lot better than my French, plus France always looks closed ;)

So funny if you want to avoid pissed Spanish, you have to avoid the whole of Spain, but part of the beauty of the coast road is all the little towns, you can stop at wish, also the coast road is at least 10 degrees cooler than the inland roads, specially in July and August, as for the bends, I thought our bikes go around bends.........:nenau

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply!

We are more keen to stay in Spain longer and whizz through France on the way back. We were quite keen to drop in Barcelona for a day or two, but I am now going off the whole idea of the coast roads.
I lived in Spain for 4 years so my Spanish is a lot better than my French, plus France always looks closed ;)

I'll come up with a few ideas ...

Thanks Simon
Much appreciated!

OK, so my recommendation would be to head north to Galicia following Wapping's Ruta de la Plata, then run down the Cordillera Cantabrica taking in Asturias, Cantabria itself - for the Picos of course - and cross into France over one of the passes in Navarre, St Pier de Martin is the best there.

But as you want to go to Barcelona this is more or less ruled out.

So, a few place names for you to make a route around - roughly in order from Malaga:

Guadix
Tabernas
Albox
Siles*
Yecla
Utiel
Rubielos de Mora*
Albarracin*
Valderrobres
Ulldemolins
Santa Coloma de Queralt
Barcelona
Ripoll*
La Pobla de Segur* - where you can buy me a beer or three! :)
Isaba.

That should keep you busy. You'll note the Rubielos de Mora and Albarracín are very close together. I recommend you stay at either one - both are lovely - for two nights and ride around that area for at least one day - you'll want to come back!

Regs

Simon

OK, so my recommendation would be to head north to Galicia following Wapping's Ruta de la Plata, then run down the Cordillera Cantabrica taking in Asturias, Cantabria itself - for the Picos of course - and cross into France over one of the passes in Navarre, St Pier de Martin is the best there.

But as you want to go to Barcelona this is more or less ruled out.

So, a few place names for you to make a route around - roughly in order from Malaga:

Guadix
Tabernas
Albox
Siles*
Yecla
Utiel
Rubielos de Mora*
Albarracin*
Valderrobres
Ulldemolins
Santa Coloma de Queralt
Barcelona
Ripoll*
La Pobla de Segur* - where you can buy me a beer or three! :)
Isaba.

That should keep you busy. You'll note the Rubielos de Mora and Albarracín are very close together. I recommend you stay at either one - both are lovely - for two nights and ride around that area for at least one day - you'll want to come back!

Regs

Simon

Simon you are a Diamond!
PM your telephone number and I would be happy to buy you a few beers!

Thank you!

Simon you are a Diamond!
PM your telephone number and I would be happy to buy you a few beers!

Thank you!

Cheers, post it here when you get on the road. PM's are s**** on this forum and I have two different phones, both of which I leave in my handbag - so continental :) - for hours/days at a time ...

Simon

PS the asterisks were for places to stay

Thanks Simon, I was wondering about the asterisks ( now i'm wondering more about the handbag :) )

Cheers for your help, hope to meet up when we are out there.

Thanks Simon, I was wondering about the asterisks ( now i'm wondering more about the handbag :) )

Cheers for your help, hope to meet up when we are out there.

Oh, I get it now. After twenty-one years I'm confirmed foreign pooftah, never leave the house without my handbag, and I've forgotten that you roughly-tufty Brits go around microwaving your nuts with it in your jeans pocket! :) But when I'm at home I leave it any old place so never hear the f+++ing phone ...

Simon

Hahaha well even this roughty tufty Brit has been know to carry a Man bag and on occasion a fanny pack :comfort

Another one here. when I came here 14 years ago, I thought that I would never carry a man bag around with me, bag's are for puffs. I changed my mind, when the practicality of carrying papers and documents around sunk in, as you walk every where in Gib, because nowhere is more than a 15 minuets walk away, and in the sun too. So now I'm a committed bag man. They are sooooo handy...:p

Back
Top Bottom