Claymore wax jackets

Mjhb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Team,

Has anyone any recent experience of Claymore wax jackets ? (I note there are half a dozen historical posts on here ...) ?

If so, how do the compare against other textiles with regards to waterproofing, abrasion resistance etc. ?

Thinking about one for Scandinavian & Icelandic summer (with suitable layers underneath) .., any thoughts ?

Grateful as ever,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Team,

Has anyone any recent experience of Claymore wax jackets ? (I note there are half a dozen historical posts on here ...) ?

If so, how do the compare against other textiles with regards to waterproofing, abrasion resistance etc. ?

Thinking about one for Scandinavian & Icelandic summer (with suitable layers underneath) .., any thoughts ?

Grateful as ever,

Matt

No experience of them, but do have kit from these people (I have no affiliation other then wearing their kit) and have found it to be superb. They also have an old fashioned approach to customer service e.g. you are treated as a customer, not an inconvenience......

https://www.speedwear.co.uk

Last edited:

When you say other textiles I guess you mean the more modern crop of textile jackets etc?

In which case they do not compare very well at all. Unless the wax jacket has a more modern waterproof liner (some of the more recent ones do) then, at best, you can only really consider them showerproof. Generally they are not a warm as modern jackets, and certainly nowhere near (not even close) as abrasion resistant as modern textiles - and most dont even have armour.

Dont get me wrong, I love wax jackets (I have waaaay to many of various iterations) and certainly they have "the look", but if it was me I would consider any of the more practical, more weatherproof modern jackets if I was doing a serious trip like you.

Just my 2p

I have a Claymore, made to measure good quality as water resistant as any other wax jacket minor irritation the zip is not full length so make sure your trollies water tight.

I have a claymore (Bought from this forum) but mine is a short waxed bomber style jacket. The quality just oozes out of it, However, if I were looking to go off on a Scandinavian tour I think I'd plump for something Goretex!

Thanks all, very informative ...

Maybe a Claymore for short-ish jaunts but something more technical/GoreTex-ie for major trips is the answer.

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom