SW-Motech Tank Ring

bandytales

Reaction score
As a design engineer, I find a couple of things about it a little hard to live with. I thought I'd ask those of you who have them, what you feel about it.
The rear part (the open ended part) of the horse shoe ring has very sharp edges on it. This is caused by the chamfer in the rear parts. Can you think why that needs to be so sharp?
Secondly there are 5 spacers that lift the tank ring clear of the tank. Do you users feel that these need to be this long?

Cheers.

Not sure about sharp edges, but without the spacers, but the ring needs to sit clear of the tank to stop the bag chaffing on the tank (no one likes a chaffing bag). It also allows the bag to locate fully onto the ring, as I think it would be difficult to get the bag on and off if you had to push the bottom of the bag onto the tank as well as lock it in.

I’ve had mine on two RT LC’s and have the smaller day bag on most of the time, or the larger GS style one when off travelling, got the electric version to provide power to tank bag via the ring, and quite happy with fit and setup.

Amazing, the same question has been asked on 1200RT.com forum, must be a coincidence :) I have the same ring and use it with the daypack. Works well, but hadn't noticed the things you mention, I just installed it, it does work very well. Guess you could smooth off the sharp edges.

Hi Casbar. Yep I asked the same question on 3 forums because there seems to be different 'clientele' on each group, yielding different opinions.
Anyhow, I have now taken the horseshoe ring off, lightly worked the sharp bits with Wet and Dry paper, and it makes a world of difference to the percieved quality.
I think the spacers need to stay. As others have said, the bag will rub the tank - or not engage fully. It is just a shame that the unit seems so 'bitty' with the spacers, the stiffener plate and finally the ring.
It is what it is, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom