Loading Routes Help

buncobooth

Reaction score
I am trying to load some routes from Mapsource into the Nav IV, not many waypoints but they are long routes. Most of them give me an error message "An error occurred while attempting to import data". Does anybody know what the hell this means and how to resolve it ?

Ian

It means an error occurred.

It would help if you explained carefully:

1. How long these 'long' routes are. Are they for instance, 1000 miles each?

2. Whether you created the routes outside of Mapsource (for instance in Tyre or some such third party software) and only used Mapsource as a base platform to get them into your Nav IV?

3. What method are you using to send the routes from Mapsource to the Nav IV?

3. What length are the routes that you have apparently loaded successfully?

4. Are you sending lots of long routes at once, in one file, or are you sending them each separately?

5. From memory, the Nav IV has a limit as to how many routes it can hold at any one time. If my memory as to the limitation is correct, have you exceeded this limit?

6. When in the process does the error message flash up, exactly?

It would help if you explained carefully:

1. How long these 'long' routes are. Are they for instance, 1000 miles each?
Varying from 150 to 1000 miles. The longer routes have maybe 10 waypoints so they are long but don't have a lot of waypoints, some of the shorter routes can have up to 30 waypoints.

2. Whether you created the routes outside of Mapsource (for instance in Tyre or some such third party software) and only used Mapsource as a base platform to get them into your Nav IV?
Created them in Mapsource.

3. What method are you using to send the routes from Mapsource to the Nav IV?
Sending them from Mapsource either to the memory card or the NAV IV unit, getting the same issue from either method.

3. What length are the routes that you have apparently loaded successfully?
Pretty short, less than 200 miles.

4. Are you sending lots of long routes at once, in one file, or are you sending them each separately?
Yes but loading them one at a time.

5. From memory, the Nav IV has a limit as to how many routes it can hold at any one time. If my memory as to the limitation is correct, have you exceeded this limit?
I think this is 10 but no, only have a couple in there.

6. When in the process does the error message flash up, exactly?
Just counts up the % complete (pretty quickly) then flashes up at the end.

I thought it might be a space issue so I removed my gmapsupp file from the unit and still the same issue.

Ian

So after trying a lot of things I resorted to the Garmin standard answer to every problem - factory reset. It seems to have worked ! Something else I noticed now is that if I transfer routes to the Nav rather than the memory card, they appear automatically without having to import them - I didn't know this, is this how it is supposed to work ? Anyway the unit seems far more responsive and allows me to load all the routes. There is a moral in there somewhere ...

Previously, you were exporting the routes to an SD held in the device. You were then importing the routes from the SD into the device itself, a process that requires conversion. A long route of a thousand miles (do you really need unbroken routes that long?) takes a fair amount of conversion power, which your Nav IV simply wasn’t up to. This challenge is made harder as you only had 10 points over the 1000 miles 9a spacing of about 100 miles) between which the device struggled to calculate routes. This problem was made worse still if you possibly selected two or more long routes to import from the SD card to the device at once.

If you can, always break 1000 mile routes up into sensible lengths. Say, a morning’s ride and a separate afternoon or to just one full day’s ride, which are rarely much over 600 miles and often an awful lot less.

Anyway, whatever it was that was wrong and whatever it is you do now, you have found a cure.

The issue was that I now couldn't load what I consider "normal" routes of 200-300 miles, 10 - 30 waypoints. Previous I tried loading to the Nav and the card so was trying to import from both places. Before this auto-import didn't work at all. I guess there must have been some corruption somewhere in the user route files.

I was previously told that the max number of routes was 10, I managed to load more than that and load 5 or 6 at one go which is impressive !

Back
Top Bottom