garmisch to stelvio

Deleted account 220427001

Reaction score
Hello bmw riders going from garmisch to stelvio I know you go across Austria about 97 miles do you still need a vignette ?? any advice would be helpful ,if you do where doyou buy them .

Hello bmw riders going from garmisch to stelvio I know you go across Austria about 97 miles do you still need a vignette ?? any advice would be helpful ,if you do where doyou buy them .

They are only required for motorways. You can buy them near to the border or at any petrol station. They don’t cost much. At some border crossings more so in Switzerland they check every vehicle for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been the other way from Stelvio up through Austria then into Germany without getting a vignette

Didn’t know I needed one, can’t remember if I used a motorway in Austria or not

There's a great route if you go via Innsbruck, A13 South, which then becomes the SS12. Turn right on to the SS508 which takes you over a brilliant road to Bolzano.

I did Stelvio to Munich which passed through Garmisch. I didnt buy any vignettes as it was mainly A roads but it did open up into what I felt was Motorway which went through a few tunnels which saved hours going round the old road not for from Germany. Didnt want to go through the tunnels but missed the exit and was forced to stay on it. Did wonder for a while if I would get a ticket in the post but nothing came :). The ride was awesome, enjoy.

I did Stelvio to Munich which passed through Garmisch.

Took that route years back, got stopped by a bike cop for overtaking in a tunnel. He wanted to fine me but all I had was Italian Lira, he wouldn't touch them so we were stumped.

In the end he gave up and pointed at me and said in his best English "next time do not do it" and we both rode off together.

There is a nice run you can do through a valley to the base of the Umbrail Pass and ride up it to arrive at the top of the Stelvio from "the wrong direction" . This means you then ride down the Stelvio rather than up it but I much preferred riding up the Umbrail anyway. Im told that there are far better passes to ride than the fabled Stelvio but when we went to Garmisch and had one day to spare that's where we went too . Enjoy :thumb

There is a nice run you can do through a valley to the base of the Umbrail Pass and ride up it to arrive at the top of the Stelvio from "the wrong direction" . This means you then ride down the Stelvio rather than up it but I much preferred riding up the Umbrail anyway. Im told that there are far better passes to ride than the fabled Stelvio but when we went to Garmisch and had one day to spare that's where we went too . Enjoy :thumb

There are plenty all around that area, we came up the left hand side of lake Garda then ended up coming through the passo Gavia (D29) to Bormio then up the Stelvio as you say the wrong way, which I prefer

We stayed in the hotel Madatsch in Trafoi and were lucky to get a room facing straight up the glacier :thumb2

I did Stelvio to Munich which passed through Garmisch. I didnt buy any vignettes as it was mainly A roads but it did open up into what I felt was Motorway which went through a few tunnels which saved hours going round the old road not for from Germany. Didnt want to go through the tunnels but missed the exit and was forced to stay on it. Did wonder for a while if I would get a ticket in the post but nothing came :). The ride was awesome, enjoy.

The vignette is not linked to a Reg number so you wouldn’t get a fine in the post. I work all round Europe and more recently speeding tickets have been issued in the U.K. from Germany. These were for 5kmph over the limit in roadworks. There is now an agreement for DVLA to issue keeper details for fines in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look......... if you want to use the Austrian Autobahn just fork out a few euros & get a 10 day Vignette. It's not that painfull.

Depends on the route you use, but we have seen many riders getting nicked over the years, usually on weekends when the Germans turn up to play. The Police use various regular haunts & some get very busy. Ignorance is not an excuse they want to hear, so they fine you circa 100 euros & still you have to buy the vignette.

It's possible to do the run without using the motorway, but it does take you through a few towns/slow speed limits and if you're just following the sat nav, yes, you'll do a little autobahn.

The vignette costs so little and it's so easy to buy that it's pointless NOT buying one. If you're going over Fernpass (the way most people head from Garmisch to Stelvio) the first petrol station over the Austrian border sells them. It takes five minutes to stop, top up the tank, and have the flexibility to legally use the autobahn if you want/need to.

The vignette just gives you options. My preferred option being avoiding Fernpass on the way back as it's always busy.

ETA: a route explanation as that final sentence is pretty meaningless without it...

I'd go from Garmisch to Imst (Fernpass), autobahn to Landeck, through the tunnel, into Switzerland to Zermez, then through the (toll) tunnel to Livigno and round to the foot of Stelvio outside Bormio (like this). After crossing Stelvio it's back to Garmisch via Telfs and Mittenwald – either directly (like this) or if you like high-mile days, over Timmlesjoch

Stelvio is shite ....Don't bother

An Austrian Vignette costs 5euros for 7 or 10 days

I was stopped last autumn on the motorway near Salzburg

They did check I had one

Is it worth it for a fiver ?

Back
Top Bottom