Electriical Conumdrum F650 GS Dakar

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Help Please, after resurrecting an almost new Odyssey battery after the Beast from the east killed it, I now have no lights or horn on my 2005 Dakar, no power at the LHS switch so attempted to trace it back to the relays under the starter solenoid, but I have no way of identifying which relay may be the culprit, Can anyone stop me from going insane here?

The first thing I'd check is the wiring around the steering head where the loom is fixed to the frame and then goes up to the handle bars. It was a common fault for wires to break there as the insulation became brittle over the years. Try turning it on and giving the loom a bit of a wiggle see if that does anything.

For what its worth, its only the Main/Dip beam and the horn that's not co-operating! Everything else is just fine. Will be attacking the battery holder & air box to see if with a little more light and room I can identify anything, I suppose a good clean round would be on the cards as this bike has been badly neglected by the previous owner and @ 70k miles its well overdue!

Relays are under a cover just behind steering head - give them a wiggle?
Are fuses all ok?

As far as I can see visually the fuses are fine, have removed all the relays, the yellow one top centre seems to have had a hard life, corrosion etc but without any means of testing it, I have swapped it over for other yellow ones, but that only affects the indicators, tested the bulb, all OK I seem to remember that the headlight comes on with ignition and when the starter is pressed a relay takes the power off it, anyone confirm this & if so where is the bloody thing!

The first thing I'd check is the wiring around the steering head where the loom is fixed to the frame and then goes up to the handle bars. It was a common fault for wires to break there as the insulation became brittle over the years. Try turning it on and giving the loom a bit of a wiggle see if that does anything.

Loom wiggled, no joy!

OH dear, now the soddin clocks stopped working, at least it lit up when I put the battery connections back on, but nothing at all now. Disturbed something I fear.

AND NOW the instrument panel is making a noise like a wet fart and the Speedo needle is trembling in unison for about 5 seconds. jeeez I don't believe this bike, WTF have I done to deserve such treatment!

Gotcha, you bugger!

Finally found it!

Attachments

• Dead Dakar.jpg
    Dead Dakar.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 130

Back
Top Bottom