So. What works ?

I've just received my GS Rallye back from the dealers having its firmware update......

Connected iPhone X to TFT.
Connected Sena 20s to TFT.

Music, album art (not that it interests me) and phone calls all functioning!

I've noticed that the phone call timer stops at 00:01 seconds!! Doesn't keep counting up!!!

Do you guys use the BMW Motorrad Connected App?

I can't get the app to connect to my bike so it doesn't register my journeys I can't navigate through it.....

Anyone else had this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Yans.
My album art now works. I was viewing an old album at the time without album art. But Adele is right there looking at me !
Ref the app. I know with Apple you have to physically open the app before. My android it doesn't require the app to be open. It connects automatically.
Also make sure you have the latest firmware.
Interestingly that app is quick good. I looked in detail of my last 650 miles in broken down sections.
Hope you get it working .
Nige

Thanks for the info Nige, I'll have a further play!!! Cant seem to leave the damn bike alone, driving the misses crazy!!!! Panniers is currently using my (small) brain power currently!!! eeekk!!!

I've had to spend the last three days plastering and building sliding wardrobes, because Im off to Spain Saturday. But all I really want to do is play with my bike:green gri

TFT and SENA. It Works !!

I recently bought a GSA with TFT and Navigator VI. Then I made the mistake of buying the BMW Communicator.

My requirement was to be able to connect to the TFT app for phone calls, music and maybe use the BMW Connected app. I also wanted to be able to hear the Nav VI instructions. Eventually gave up and BMW confirmed that it is possible to connect to the Navigator OR the TFT but not both. This is not actually correct. The full answer is that it is not possible with the BMW Communicator headset but can be done with Sena - which is a bit cheeky of BMW when they actively suggest the BMW headset is best.

I have since set it up with my Sena 20S as follows -

- Connect iPhone to to TFT. Just search via the TFT and let it find the phone.
- Using the Sena Smartphone connect option connect the headset to the TFT
- Using the Sena GPS connect option connect the Sena to the Navigator VI
- Connect Sena headsets together as needed.

The system now works exactly as needed. I can listen to music from the phone and directions from the BMW Connected app or the Nav VI plus speed camera warnings interrupt as needed. Making and receiving phone calls works as it should and I can chat to my wife on pillion. If I listen to the radio on the Sena receiver this seems to stop the phone interrupting but this seems more of a Sena problem but the fix is to use a Radio app on the phone which will then output through the headset if Media is selected on the TFT.

One thing I have found is that the Sena MUST be turned on before the bike. Once the bike is turned on the Nav VI connects almost immediately but there is a delay until the Sena and phone connect to the TFT. I am guessing the checks the bike does on start up take priority. After about a minute the phone and helmet symbols come on at the bottom of the TFT screen and everything works. If you forget to turn on the Sena first the bike only connects the phone and seems to need turning off for a few minutes in order for it to reset and check the helmet again. if it is just turned off and on it seems to retain the last settings and the phone connects immediately but not the helmet. Once everything has connected it seems to survive a bike off and on with no problems and reconnects very quickly.

I have not connected the pillion helmet to the TFT as I can't see any point. With direct helmet connection I can still talk to pillion with bike off and the Sena allows the music/radio from my Sena to be relayed to the pillion one anyway. It is also not necessary to connect the phone to the Sena. It may work but it could overcomplicate things with phone connected to both Sena and TFT.

Hope this helps. My TFT software has just been updated which resulted in all setting lost. Now I know how it took about 1 minute to connect everything again. BMW Communicator went back for a refund !!

Last edited:
I've just received my GS Rallye back from the dealers having its firmware update......

Connected iPhone X to TFT.
Connected Sena 20s to TFT.

Music, album art (not that it interests me) and phone calls all functioning!

I've noticed that the phone call timer stops at 00:01 seconds!! Doesn't keep counting up!!!

Do you guys use the BMW Motorrad Connected App?

I can't get the app to connect to my bike so it doesn't register my journeys I can't navigate through it.....

Anyone else had this?

My BMW Connected app works OK and the way it keeps trip data is quite impressive. Note that you just need the phone bluetooth connected to TFT. There is nothing in the app to connect but it must be running on the phone. It does not have to be in the foreground. Just start the app and then do whatever you like with the phone and the TFT can sill read it.

Using my Samsung, the app doesn't need opening. its a phone thing. But it does take about a minute to connect to the bike.
I've not connected my Nav as i couldn't think of anything worse than that blaring out all the time. And cant think of any other reason to connect it.
This week ill be connecting to two mates on the run down to Spain. So I'm hoping that all works well too.

Overall, I'm more than impressed with how good it works.

The BMW system works with the TFT or the Navigator but not both together. Confirmed by BMW

yes, I'm aware of that. What I meant was, is there a stand alone system like the sena/cardo that can be fitted to any helmet. But Im not interested now as the Sena 20s Evo works a treat !

Using my Samsung, the app doesn't need opening. its a phone thing. But it does take about a minute to connect to the bike.
I've not connected my Nav as i couldn't think of anything worse than that blaring out all the time. And cant think of any other reason to connect it.
This week ill be connecting to two mates on the run down to Spain. So I'm hoping that all works well too.

I should have been clearer. The need for the app to be open is, I think, an IOS requirement, not necessary with Android. Its not really an issue as with IOS once an app is open it's always open, as is every other app unless you purposely close it.

My satnav does not blare out all the time but I find it useful to get a reminder when I have a turn coming up, especially on busy high sped autobahns.

I use my Sena 20s EVO to connect to any wife's 20S and my son's earlier Sena. Works perfectly for group chat. We have used it when we have all ridden down to Garmisch.

I recently bought a GSA with TFT and Navigator VI. Then I made the mistake of buying the BMW Communicator.

My requirement was to be able to connect to the TFT app for phone calls, music and maybe use the BMW Connected app. I also wanted to be able to hear the Nav.........

........Hope this helps. My TFT software has just been updated which resulted in all setting lost. Now I know how it took about 1 minute to connect everything again. BMW Communicator went back for a refund !!

This is a great update, thanks mate, it pretty much sums up my findings and setting up on Saturday after the firmware update..... So pleased it's consistent between similar hardware!!

However, I found that once the bike is powered up, the Bluetooth is the last thing to try and do anything, so I found switching the bike on then powering up the Sena after a moment or two seems to do the trick.... Otherwise I found if the sena is switched on too early it's only searching for a paired device for a certain amount of time then stops searching.....

Everything you've said makes complete sense.

Stupid question, what's the BMW Communicator? That's a BMW equivalent of Sena?

Interestingly talking about apps being open.....
On the Andriod (Galaxy S7) there is an app killer to close all running apps. I always clear all the apps for the benefit of the battery life of the phone. Last Saturday I was out for around 4 hours on the bike, listening to music and making and taking calls. I noticed the battery had been reduced quite a bit more than ever before. I accept this, with the bluetooth connection, But it has made me realise that on long days in the saddle ill need to plug the phone in to keep it going.

My BMW Connected app works OK and the way it keeps trip data is quite impressive. Note that you just need the phone bluetooth connected to TFT. There is nothing in the app to connect but it must be running on the phone. It does not have to be in the foreground. Just start the app and then do whatever you like with the phone and the TFT can sill read it.

Yes thanks to your good self here, I removed the app and reinstalled it..... Then made sure the app was running first before powering up the bike..... This seem to sort it and the app talks with the bike..... Yay!!!!

I've downloaded the UK and France maps (off the France on the 26th!! More yay's!!!!!

Thanks again

I use my Sena 20s EVO to connect to any wife's 20S and my son's earlier Sena. Works perfectly for group chat. We have used it when we have all ridden down to Garmisch.

Have you got any tips for pairing my sena with my mates tomorrow ?
I've read the manual (Several times) .... and there seems to be several ways to do it?

Yes. The system that BMW recommend - but if pushed `BmW admit it does not work with everything together.

Yes. The system that BMW recommend - but if pushed `BmW admit it does not work with everything together.

but isn't this with the helmet fitted ? Not stand alone ?

Have you got any tips for pairing my sena with my mates tomorrow ?
I've read the manual (Several times) .... and there seems to be several ways to do it?

If they are both Sena just press and hold the jog dials for six seconds. When LEDs flash just tap either jog dial and wait until lights turn blue. `remember if you are pairing more than one you need to pair the priority headsets LAST

Back
Top Bottom