Why Buy an F Twin?

Owen Snell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Browsing the forum again after a few years classic biking on an R90/6 as I want something newer / more practical / that I care less about using in the winter/ rain. The R90 will be sold and I am going to be the lookout for another GS. My previous was an 05 1200, so another 1200 is the obvious choice - I'm tall and I know the 1200 GS is a good fit for me and rides well.

What are the plus and minus points of the F series? Will I be disappointed with the smaller engine? Does the F have the same space for a tall rider? I'll definitely go and have a look at the dealer once the R90 is gone, but a bit of real user input is always useful.

Ive never owned an F800 but had one for a day as a loan bike (F800GS) and was very impressed. Lovely gearbox and although I'm a bit of a sucker for that big cc 'lazy' torque and power, there was something great fun and involving about having to make the 800 work a little bit.

I'm not ready for one yet, but (and this is a very genuine comment and not meant as a piss take!) I can see exactly why somebody like Micky who's knocking on a bit (and I hope I'm doing the amount of biking he is when I get to his age) would choose a lighter, fun bike over a big heavy 1290ktm / 1200GS / MTS / etc etc.

It was good fun ... :thumb

I'm not ready for one yet, but (and this is a very genuine comment and not meant as a piss take!) I can see exactly why somebody like Micky who's knocking on a bit

We look forward to watching Micky batter you at Dent :bash :D

He'll have to catch me first (with his dodgy knees and hips ..... :D)

I’m biased because I’ve owned an 800GS and I’ve now got an 800GSA. I’ve done over 90k on the two of them, short of Micky’s mileage I know. They’re a good practical touring bike with a bomb proof engine. Great fun on either the back lanes, country sweepers or even A roads if you wind them up a bit. The GSA has a 340 mile tank range plus better screen and weather protection, and for the taller gent that would be my choice. It also comes with a decent bash plate and pannier rails plus most of the second hand sales will have the option of metal boxes.

What it’s not great at is unrestricted autobahn’s or 2 up touring. If you want to do much of that or if you’re a would be riding god who must have the latest and biggest it’s not for you.

We currently have an Africa Twin and a 1200 Rallye in the garage and I’m as happy riding the 800 as either of them. The other thing I like is if you keep them reasonably clean the paint seems to stay put despite the rigours of winter.

Best advice is try one. There seem to be a few on the market this spring at reasonable prices. Find one in a BMW dealer, take it out for a few hours, and see if it grabs you. If it does look for a decent deal.:thumby:

I have had a F650GS, F650GS Dakar, F800GS Trophy, R850GS, R1100GS, R1150GS and a R1200GS. I now ride a F800GS Adventure. I wouldn't go back to the bigger engined bikes for many reasons, not least of which the expense of buying one. I am 6'2" and am 13 stone and the bike fits me perfectly. I have added bar risers and a Puig screen and that helps, but even without them the riding position was good. I have the full aluminium luggage so touring is no different to the bigger bikes in terms of carrying capability. Combined with a tank bag, how much more would you want to lug around with you?

I ride 2 up and the bikes rides well, pulling well in all gears and in real world terms has all the power you will need. I find it easier to throw around than the boxer engines machines too, but that may just be me. The boxer engine bikes handle fantastically in their own right. Filtering is easy as the bike is tall and relatively narrow (even the GSA), add panniers though and its as wide as a bus!

The deal maker for me was the lack of the shaft drive though. I had tons of issues with noisy final drives and one letting go on me in France. Whilst I understand the benefits, the copt book is blotted with me. Expensive to repair when they do go wrong too. By contrast a chain set is cheap and whilst it needs to be maintained, a Scottoiler and a once a week check on tension sorts that out.

Fuel consumption is fantastic, even with luggage. I regularly return 58-60 mpg on a run, more if i ride like a tart!

As already said by others, get a ride on one and make up your own mind - you wont be disappointed.

For ten years I was a tour leader for a well known motorcycle tour company. Each time I went on tour, I was given a new 1200GS for use during the tour, so I've literally ridden dozens and dozens of them over that period. One year I suggested a change and I took a F800GS to Morocco and it was a revelation. Although blasting down the motorway at speeds in excess of 100MPH is out of the question, I found it so much easier to ride, more agile and more comfortable than a 1200 GS. It had much better fuel consumption and easy to ride off-road. The only downside I can think of is that it has tubed tyres, so quick puncture repairs are out of the question.

I forgot all about this and bought a 1200GSA for a private trip with mates to Morocco where we did some serious off-road. What a pig it was to handle with a full tank of fuel and on my return, I tried a F800GSA demonstrator off-road for an afternoon round the green lanes of Surrey. With a big grin on my face I traded in my 1200GSA for a new 800GSA on return to the dealer.

Brilliant bike and so happy with it. So much so, I doubt I will try out the new 850 version.

I went from an 1150 GSA to an F800GS, it made me ride like a hooligan, but as previously stated whilst it was great for solo riding it was a bit cramped for two up touring so I sold it for a 1200TC, fast forward to 3 weeks ago and I sold the 1200 and brought a new F800GSA and what a difference a few years have made in the evolution of this bike. The 800 GSA is much roomier, the seat is more comfy than the 1200 and it has all the real world power you will ever need and the GSA TE version comes with all the bells and whistles that would cost £ks on a 1200. There are also some great deals going on them at the moment to make way for the 850.

I have owned 3 X F650GS twins & still have a F700GS Twin.

Great on fuel.
More than enough power.
Superb reliability.
Cracking touring bikes.

Highly rated by me & to be honest I haven't found any downsides...

In the last 2 years it has taken me too :
Holland, Colditz Castle, Germany, BMW Mottorad Works Berlin, Prague, Poland, Auschwitz, France, Spain, pyrenees, Perpignan & loads of places in between & never missed a beat..

:thumb2

Plus :
Plenty of parts from numerous suppliers to make the bike fit you...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1504095695355.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504095695355.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 20160930_142542.jpg
    20160930_142542.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 567
I've got an F650GS - my previous bike was a Pan European 1100 & the GS was a breath of fresh air after that.

It's so light & nimble, a pleasure to ride and, with a chain oiler fitted, the chain isn't a hassle at all - just 10 minutes every now & then to sort it out.

As above, I've got full aluminium luggage so it carries all I need for trips away (I only ride solo). F650 is tubeless tyres too - so no hassles with puncture repairs, I keep a Stop'n'Go kit under the seat.

D

They're great bikes indeed ... had mine ten years, no corrosion :D

Can't really comment otherwise because it's only just run in ;)

:beerjug:

I’m a fan. I bought my F800GS new home n August 2009 having sold an R1150GS Adventure.

The 800 is the nicer bike to live with in my experience. Although I’ve had a few issues with the stator. (Sorted now I hope with the later flywheel and stator fitted)

I’m up to 86,000 miles now, that includes 34,000 with a Ural sidecar bolted to it.
I did a 3 wheel, 28,000 mile America’s trip from New York to Fairbanks Alaska and then south to Ushuaia in Argentina.
www.sidecartravels.co.uk

The stock seat is perfect for me but a taller screen has helped. I’m 6’2” and about 115 KG

The bike is currently in a crate at MotoFrieght waiting to go in to a container that will hopefully take it to Sydney, Australia.

Anyway.......yes, the 800 is a great bike with plenty of go, decent handling and seems to last fairly well.
I too have no corrosion, but I don’t ride in winter so avoid the nasty salt.

I only changed from a 650 back to a 1200 because of the pillion making a reappearance after 35 years. I had been prepping for long distance/overseas with only suspension left to go.
Left to my own devices, and as a shorter rider, I would have continued with the 650 for the next 5 years.

I've not ridden the 800GS but have ridden the 800R. Cracking gearbox, and acceleration. and the lightness and nimble handling was great compared to the 1200GS. But yes, 2 up touring or the dreaded m way miles don't excite me.

I swapped an 1150GS for an 800GS back in 2011 and practically the first thing I did was ride to Orkney with the Dearly Beloved on the back. It was, and is, comfortable, fast, frugal and fun. The basic reason to get one is because they are bloody fantastic bikes. Do it, you won’t regret it.

Back
Top Bottom