Best place to go with 7 days?

jojitsu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have 7 days in mid May for my first motorbike camping holiday with a mate.. Plan A is Western Scotland for obvious reasons, plus it shouldn't cost the earth or take too long to get there as I can ride straight there from Manchester in a few hours without any ferry or euro tunnel costs.. But if the weather forecast is not great I would rather chase the sun into Europe, but where's most achievable to get great roads with my time constraints without busting my balls travelling forever on motorways?

Cheers.

If you take the get there and the get back time into account, 7 days isn't much for abroad and from Manchester. (how far are you going to get in that first and last day that will include either a ferry or the tunnel ?). With only 7 days, I'd say Scotland is a good shout.
(I am lucky that I'm 20 mins from the tunnel so in one day I can easily be in say Annecy ...).

Wapping aka Bikermates Buddy will be typing up a sarcastic long post any minute.......:aidan

Fixed ;)

And, OP, how about a tour of Ireland? The boat isn’t far from you, so you’d have plenty of time to explore.:thumb

I go for ireland the coastal road is meant to be good but the weather...? it's early in the season if your unlucky...!

what about manchester - plymouth ferry to spain few days doing the picos and then return...?

I go for ireland the coastal road is meant to be good but the weather...? it's early in the season if your unlucky...!

what about manchester - plymouth ferry to spain few days doing the picos and then return...?

Think the clue was first motorbike camping holiday, might want to stay a bit more local, ...............:beerjug:

Think the clue was first motorbike camping holiday, might want to stay a bit more local, ...............:beerjug:

....and that camping bit will eat into the hours of the day too!

Set up in the evening, pack up in the morning ..... let alone knocking up food and coffee .... :thumb

(it's not quite like rocking up at a hotel, jumping in the shower and then sauntering down to the restaurant .. !)

Wait until nearer the day and go where the weather is best!

....and that camping bit will eat into the hours of the day too!

Set up in the evening, pack up in the morning ..... let alone knocking up food and coffee .... :thumb

(it's not quite like rocking up at a hotel,having a beer whilst still in riding clobber, jumping in the shower and then sauntering down to the bar for more beers followed by dinner in the restaurant ........instead of faffing with a £20 Decathlon tent !)

Fixed for KTM adventurists (Timolgra excluded) !! :beer:

I've heard Manchester is pretty nice this time of year... he could camp near the adventure bike warehouse...?

Wait until nearer the day and go where the weather is best!

This is the correct answer though I’d be contacting Mickey and getting a ferry from Hull and planning my holiday over breakfast on the ferry an hour before landing.

Download Archies for a comprehensive list of European campsites and it’s hard to make a mess of things. Booking.com should be your back up in case the weather goes badly wrong and it’s raining at 5pm.

One way to "extend" the holiday is to finish work on the Friday afternoon and then ride down to Portsmouth. Take an overnight ferry to Caen, St Malo or Le Havre. Then ride to whichever part of France you fancy. The Le Havre ferry departs at 11pm so you have plenty of time. You can keep the cost down by "camping" on the boat in a £5 recliner chair rather than a cabin.

Personally, I hate camping and would use a F1 or Premiere Classe motel for 30 euros a night in preference to canvas. 15 euros each for an en suite room.

Luxembourg, Ardennes & Mosel.

Seven days, less the time it takes you to get from Manchester to wherever you plan on landing on the continent and coming back home.

I’d look at the overnight ferry to Holland / Belgium and then head to the Harz and / or Ardennes, probably both. Retrace for the return.

If the Weather was looking shit I’d definitely be going over to France. Myself and my son Dan go down to the south of France every October to close the house down for the winter.We usually spend 6 or 7 days away. As Wessie said, ride down on the Friday eve and catch overnight ferry to either Caen or Le Havre. We blast for a couple of hours then go scenic and end the day around Bois. Then another leisurely day to get down to the house which is near Toulouse.We then do day rides from the house to the Pyrenees,South coast, Milau etc etc..We would then blast back to the port in a long day at the end of the week and again get the overnight ferry back to Portsmouth.Campsites are plentiful cheap and clean in France especially the municipal sites and would be quiet in May.How far south you head would be up to you and the weather, but you would definitely have time for a good riding trip away in France.:thumb

Some great suggestions.. I was hoping to set off on the Friday night after my mate finishes work, but he doesn't finish until 8pm so he's putting a bloody block on it (I finish work a few days earlier on my annual leave but my mate can only have a week off) so it'll have to be early Saturday, coming home the following Saturday as I'm back in work on the Sunday..

Regards Ireland: I actually toured Ireland a couple of times with about 10 other biker mates in my early 20's, more that 15 years ago, and coincidentally it was at the same time of year as we went to the Northwest 200, and it has crossed my mind to go back, but I can't see the weather being any better in Ireland than Scotland.. Also I imagine the ferry will be busy, due to the NW200..

Back
Top Bottom