Honda CBF chargeing problem.

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend has one of these 2007 in 1000 flavor not charging. I’ve looked on the internet and there seems to be more than one answer. Looks like more than the common Honda regulator/rectifier problem. Looks like big money has to be spent or not? Any ideas? Battery seems good with good connections. 12. 33 volts running or not. Rev it and battery reading 12.27. Nothing going in. All help greatly appreciated. Don’t want to be fitting parts and still have same problem. JJH

I'd guess at the reg rec I bought one from M+P for my Blade a few months ago it was just over £20 iirc

:beerjug:

Should be showing around 14.5 v @5k revs with main beam on.

A fully charged battery will show above 12.8v up to 13.2v.
12.3 is effectively flat.

Best thing would be to replace with a mosfet rr. Electrex world do them or new or a second hand one from eBay. FH020aa is what you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN...FIER-KIT-NEW-GENUINE-SHINDENGEN-/380704480069

I bought one of these kits some years ago for my Cbr. The only prob with it is that the fuse holders is a maxi ( about the size of a pack of fags) and waaaaayy too big.

First check would be furry green or broken connections on the reg/rectifier or generator circuit , if non found it is probably the reg/rectifier or the generator.

Even if it is both parts from Electrex run at under £250

thanks for the help lads. I'm inclined to put a new regulator in but I am worried in case somthing else is gone and fries the new one. JJH

thanks for the help lads. I'm inclined to put a new regulator in but I am worried in case somthing else is gone and fries the new one. JJH

There are some decent videos on You Tube showing how to check the 3 phase stator/generator in situ , well worth doing before changing the regulator /rectifier

Probably the most talked about issue on the Biffer forums - stator failure. The reg/rec might have got fried too, but that can be checked. M&P sell stators for £100 and are easy to fit.

However, agree that it's best to check the r/r first but I bet it's the stator.

Honda have never recalled the bikes but dealers have been replacing stators with Honda's blessing and discounts being given. Replacement stators come with a 5 or 7 year Honda warranty.

IS battery old?? Lack of electrolyte or perhaps an occasional dead short internally ??

If you test between the phases after they exit the alternator but before they go in to the rectifier with an multimeter on Alternating Current setting you should see 28 volts upwards between each pair of the 3 wires e.g. if the wires are named A B C You test between A to B, B to C and C to A

If there is one which is significantly down the its likely that the stator is fried

If you remove the Rect Reg unit and its bubbled at the back its likely its fried internally

The bike is sorted. Dealer sorted it under warranty. I don’t know what was done but it’s sorted. Happy unexpected ending. JJH

Brother has the same bike, same year, same problem a few weeks ago.
Stator replaced by bike mechanic €250.

I had similar problem.
Took it in to 'a well known city shop' . Got them to provide diagnosis (coz i woz f*cked if i could make sense of the meter readings!).
They said Reg/Rect. :thumb Got them to order one in for me (€115).
Fixed.
I know you're sorted now - but i found this method handy as if they got the diagnosis wrong i would hand back the part and ask for a refund :green gri:D

I had similar problem.
Took it in to 'a well known city shop' . Got them to provide diagnosis (coz i woz f*cked if i could make sense of the meter readings!).
They said Reg/Rect. :thumb Got them to order one in for me (€115).
Fixed.
I know you're sorted now - but i found this method handy as if they got the diagnosis wrong i would hand back the part and ask for a refund :green gri:D

Livin dangerously there. Most shops would tell you to F off as it was obvious that it was u who had ffed up!!! JJH

Livin dangerously there. Most shops would tell you to F off as it was obvious that it was u who had ffed up!!! JJH

Nope. I asked / paid for a professional opinion and then spent money based on that opinion.
So :p

Back
Top Bottom