FD failure.......mileage?

KMD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2007 GS1200 with 11,000 miles up. I understand this model suffered issues with the FD. Is there a mileage 'window' within which they go, or can it be any time ?

Mine had gone at 24k 2006 bike full SH

There a bit Martini ;)

My 2005 with 52k is still on the original FD.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have a 2007 GS1200 with 11,000 miles up. I understand this model suffered issues with the FD. Is there a mileage 'window' within which they go, or can it be any time ?

2006 bike; sold at 30K still on original FD which was still good.
2007 bike; bearings gone at 11K and were replaced by Southport Superbikes under part warranty as bike was well out of warranty. Seal went at 15K so had Mikeyboy rebuild.
2011 bike; current bike, just short of 60k and just had mikeyboy rebuild the FD due to play in the pinion shaft but no problem with the wheel bearings or the seals.
It would have run longer but i have a long trip coming up and don't want to have any bother i can get without by doing maintenance beforehand.

Mine lasted 59K rebuilt by mickeyboy two weeks ago, in answer to your question 'how long is a piece of string' .
change the oil every year that helps.

The Mk1 has the weakest final drive. Patzx12 stripped his own at 17K and found the internal needle rollers needed replacing. There is a thread somewhere of how he did it. Its not really a DIY job.

If you want the ultimate FD get a used twin cam unit as that will have all the upgrades. Will it blow up as soon as you fit it? Maybe, but then so could any of them. Others will go on and on.

Mine was rebuilt at 50K when the main wheel bearing packed up. Mike said the internals were "ready".

That's worrying. Although mine is low mileage at 11k, nearly all of it has been done two up with luggage in places like the Alps or the Dolomites. Probably the hardest work these things have to do. I had a Fd main bearing go on my 1150 in the Dolomites in '09 which took a dealer in Bolzano a day to fix and a hefty bill. I've since replaced two of them myself but I think they are a simpler unit than the hex head 12 (which I haven't been into) . Are the replacement parts all now 'uprated' ?

That's worrying. Although mine is low mileage at 11k, nearly all of it has been done two up with luggage in places like the Alps or the Dolomites. Probably the hardest work these things have to do. I had a Fd main bearing go on my 1150 in the Dolomites in '09 which took a dealer in Bolzano a day to fix and a hefty bill. I've since replaced two of them myself but I think they are a simpler unit than the hex head 12 (which I haven't been into) . Are the replacement parts all now 'uprated' ?

The 1150 has a better wheel bearing design similar to an old Austin Mini front hub. There’s information somewhere about a deep groove ball bearing being better than the OEM bearing.

Unfortunately the 1200 is different so the mod only works for the 1150.

My 2006 bike finally had it's FD rebuilt at 63k after leaking, but apart from a bit of play was actually OK

My 2012 bike has been a pain in the as*e. Bearing cage failed at 8400 miles and then failed again 20,000 miles later despite having regular oil changes.

Can't believe that I ride bikes differently to cause the problem, so must just be luck (or in my case, not :aidan)

Just a thought perhaps a bit of mechanical sympathy might help, instead of slogging it out of a bend or roundabout in fifth cog it down to third it might help:nenau

Just a thought perhaps a bit of mechanical sympathy might help, instead of slogging it out of a bend or roundabout in fifth cog it down to third it might help:nenau

The gear it's in will only affect the engine; the torque applied to the FD will remain the same but, a lighter touch on the throttle will reduce the loads all round.

Back
Top Bottom