Powering a sat nav cradle

casbar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help folks, I have managed to upload Lat Longs for each location into Basecamp from Google Maps, they have then been added as a waypoint on the Basecamp map and then sent to my Nav V.

Have now just found where they are located on the Nav V (Favourites) and it seems to work fine.

I have another Nav V question which has just been asked by another of by Blood Bike groups volunteer.

I donated a 4 button cradle to use my Nav V on Tracie the RT1200RTP, I located the connection points on the bike which are already wired into a permanent 12v connection on the bikes spare battery.

Not having a 4 button cradle on my GS (I have the scroll wheel) does anyone know if there is a way to power down the Nav V from the cradle?

On our RTPs we use a switched live for the nav, not the spare aux battery. But be aware a Nav V is not off when the power cuts to it, it is in standby. The only way to power it off completely is to take it out of the cradle and then switch it off with the off button on the top. This isn't an issue if you use the Nav regularly, but if you leave it for a while (depending on how good the battery is) it will drain the battery in standby and go flat.

On our RTPs we use a switched live for the nav, not the spare aux battery. But be aware a Nav V is not off when the power cuts to it, it is in standby. The only way to power it off completely is to take it out of the cradle and then switch it off with the off button on the top. This isn't an issue if you use the Nav regularly, but if you leave it for a while (depending on how good the battery is) it will drain the battery in standby and go flat.

Our RTP has the connection for the Nav mount wired to the auxiliary battery, not sure how easy it would be to change to a switched live as the harness for the mount has the BMW plug already fitted to it and it connected to a socket under the front of the bike?

I

Our RTP has the connection for the Nav mount wired to the auxiliary battery, not sure how easy it would be to change to a switched live as the harness for the mount has the BMW plug already fitted to it and it connected to a socket under the front of the bike?

I

I see that would give a permanent live. We have 3 RTPs and they are all wired the same, ignition off, Nav off.

I see that would give a permanent live. We have 3 RTPs and they are all wired the same, ignition off, Nav off.

casbar, would either you or someone in your group be able to have a look to see if the routing and connection locations are visible on your RTP's and maybe email me some pictures please?

Ours is connected to a connector situated to the outer edge of the right hand fork leg underneath the nose of the bike.

I would feel much happier if the Nav switches off with the ignition (well at least pops up the cancel or switch off window).

casbar, would either you or someone in your group be able to have a look to see if the routing and connection locations are visible on your RTP's and maybe email me some pictures please?

Ours is connected to a connector situated to the outer edge of the right hand fork leg underneath the nose of the bike.

I would feel much happier if the Nav switches off with the ignition (well at least pops up the cancel or switch off window).

I'll ask our transport manager to have a look, he currently has one of the RTs..

If you get the popup on the NavV then it’s a switched live. If you don’t, it aint.

Happy to drop by HQ and check this if needed.

Just spoke to our transport manager, not really much help, we use the BMW supplied plug, its on the end of a tail, which we just connect to a switched live.

Don't forget when switching the ign off, the canbus off is delayed by approx 50 secs, so you still have power to accessories during this time.

Don't forget when switching the ign off, the canbus off is delayed by approx 50 secs, so you still have power to accessories during this time.

Guess it depends where you power it from, on our RTPs and on my own LC when the ignition is off, the sat nav powers off immediately, there is no delay.

Guess it depends where you power it from, on our RTPs and on my own LC when the ignition is off, the sat nav powers off immediately, there is no delay.

When you say immediately, do you mean instantly off, or do you get a prompt that says: "Power lost, unit will shut down in x seconds time".

When you say immediately, do you mean instantly off, or do you get a prompt that says: "Power lost, unit will shut down in x seconds time".

Sorry yes, will switch off in think its 10 secs. I have skene P3 rear lights fitted, which stay on for nearly a minute, which is until the can bus closes down. Therefore the sat nav isn't staying on until can bus shut down. It must be detecting ignition switch off, and then putting itself into standby and not waiting for the can bus

If you get the popup on the NavV then it’s a switched live. If you don’t, it aint.

Happy to drop by HQ and check this if needed.

It definitely doesn't pop up with the powering off message when you switch the ignition off so I know it isn't a switched live. Next challenge will be finding a switched live which the Nav V mount can be connected to.

It definitely doesn't pop up with the powering off message when you switch the ignition off so I know it isn't a switched live. Next challenge will be finding a switched live which the Nav V mount can be connected to.

Headlight or Front Brake Switch or Front power socket

Back
Top Bottom