Fitting GS sumpguard

chasbmw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m fitting a SH GS sumpguard to a 2102 1200R, I think that I can get it all to fit with a bit of pushing and shoving as it looks as if the frame bracket might be a bit off.

Simple question, the front RHS bolt screws into a ‘C clip nut’, should the nut be fitted to the top of the mounting bracket or should it be clipped over the bracket. The clip nut is new and looks as if it would be really distorted if it was clipped over the bracket?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Charles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure mine's a captive (welded) nut on both front mounts?

If you're using a 'C' clip, put it over the bracket only so the sumpguard clamps the 'tongue'.

Mine has a bracket that bolts to the engine with a long M10 and two small bolts holding the bracket to the sump guard. The back end has a pair of male/male rubber bump stops threaded into the back of the engine.

Mine must have been bodged as all it had were M6 bolts and nuts onto the front bracket. No rubber bushes etc.

Funny that, I was just packing the bracket up to go back to motorworks.......

This bracket looks if it could fit, if the long arm hadnet been bent backwards and upwards and i dont have the rquired blacksmithing kit to straighten it.

Here are some photos please tell me if its the right bracket, just bent.

The bracket on mine is straight. It’s never been slammed on a rock so should be correct. If it ever gets bent some careful hammer attention will sort it.

It’s 5mm steel.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this pic in a recent for sale thread.........maybe it will shed light on what shape the bracket should be.

Hope it helps.
da3cf00a0034c396facf68c9d5cd0e94.jpg

Sent from a U11

Thanks, that shows that mine is bent, I’ll return it to Motorworks, and get a new one, they are not expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom