Bad penny

JR1K

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am just about to return to biking after an absence of a few years.

I bought a campervan as my wife was struggling with getting on and off the bike due to a bad hip. Also the cost of accommodations had restrictd the number of trips we could do on a bike, and with only annual leave available to travel time is precious. I live in Guernsey so there is an expensive strip of water to the UK or Europe which all but prevents weekend travel on cost grounds.

We have used a campervan for the last 7 years as the cost of accommodation is so much less.

I have just retired, or part retired, as I may look for part time work if I can find anything suitable.

I have more time available now and having retained my 2008 GS I need to get it out of mothballs as I have accepted a trip with three friends to Garmisch in July. I have not used my bike for three years so it may need quite a bit of work to get it into working order.

I would appreciate any advice on how I might set about this.

The battery is kaput but I have not tried a new one in case I need to have anything sprayed into the cylinders due to it not being used, before attempting to try to start it. It has sat in my shed under blankets. Fortunately we do not have very cold winters but as I am not mechanically minded I do not know how to proceed in order to avoid any mechanical damage.

I was hoping that I might be able to get it running after changing the oil and filter and then get it across to one of the UK GS dealers. The local BMW agent might be ok but I doubt that they would have the experience to get a 2008 model updated with the correct software etc.

I had Keihan headers and a Beowulf fitted and was minded to send the bike to Hilltop motorcyles to sort out the fuelling, but only after I have had the bike brought into good order.

Sorry for the extended note, please could one of the administrators repost this into a more suitable forum if that is more appropriate.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

GS web site is as excellent as ever and I hope that I can get my bike on the road relatively soon with your help

JR

welcome return to the site!
Pm sent.

Take the plugs out and spray the barrels with WD40.

On the centre stand stick it in gear and gently turn the rear wheel for a few revolutions to lubricate the bores.

Put in some fresh fuel check the oil levels, replace the plugs, fit new battery and firie up.

I would get it running first then change the oil so you can warm up the engine.

I bet it wont take much to have it working again.

Many thanks

I am just getting over flu but hope to try this early next week.

Much obliged

JR

Back
Top Bottom