First week from RT to GS

OldManRides

Reaction score
My initial thoughts after moving from a 2011 RT to a 2018 GS TE. For anyone who cares :D

Feels noticeably lighter and more agile. Engine is smooth and faster than my reflexes which is all I require, though I do miss the standstill rock and roll.

Suspension compliance in 'road' a vast improvement. Had to buy S$%^ loads of plastic bits to reduce mud spray, pehaps I should just embrace getting filthy and on that subject, what a royal pain in the arse to clean. Deciding whether I can be bothered again.

TFT - thankyou BMW, I can finally see the speedo. Can't be arsed with BT dissapointment so haven't bothered trying so far, Stock screen is crap for me (6'2") but a universal screen extender I had on the RT has worked wonders yet again.

GSAP - jury is out, working on the basis I'm the limiting factor and need to perservere to smoooth it out. Apparently it has Hill Hold Control!! Not sure I have the energy to work that out. I'll stick with my multitasking right hand :D

Tyres (A3) are fine and have worked well in the wet BUT why do then sound like a Landrover Defender? They'll be going when shot, it's driving me nuts and I only ride on road :blast.

Looking forward to the extra ventilation come summer, whenever or wherever that is.

Finally, from Mrs OMR, "I still can't see over your fat head" :mad:

To recap - loving it. Looking forward to a weekend of riding & ale on Exmoor to start week 2 :beerjug:

Sounds good - sounds like you’ve made a good change!

A couple of comments if I may. Don’t think about “smoothing out”gearshift assist. Just click it up. Or down. And let it do its thing. If you try and be overly gently with the lever it makes it things worse. Not better.

Hill start control - I’d be interested to know what you think when you’ve tried it. To activate it you’re meant to give the brake lever a squeeze when you come to a stop and it holds the rear brake until you set off.

I’m thinking of getting it retro fitted to my GSA. I think it will be very useful when 2up and in a hilly region.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice update, assume you tried the latest RT LC. Its a totally different bike to the 2011 RT. I like the GS a lot, but for what I do, the RT still suits me better. Enjoy.

Nice update, assume you tried the latest RT LC. Its a totally different bike to the 2011 RT. I like the GS a lot, but for what I do, the RT still suits me better. Enjoy.

I'm a year round rider but I'm not doing the long distance winter mileage I was. Otherwise I think I would have stuck with an RT. I have fallen in love with the boxer engine though, especially for 2 up touring. Did try the XR, but just too buzy and manic for me.

Sounds good - sounds like you’ve made a good change!

A couple of comments if I may. Don’t think about “smoothing out”gearshift assist. Just click it up. Or down. And let it do its thing. If you try and be overly gently with the lever it makes it things worse. Not better.

Hill start control - I’d be interested to know what you think when you’ve tried it. To activate it you’re meant to give the brake lever a squeeze when you come to a stop and it holds the rear brake until you set off.

I’m thinking of getting it retro fitted to my GSA. I think it will be very useful when 2up and in a hilly region.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's for the GSAP tips, I'll try them. I'll let you know about the HSC - I just need to not let muscle memory do it's thing. Too be fair I've never found uphill starting, be it two up with luggage, a concern. Beginners luck :)

I have the hill hold control and when it really matters...and I mean really matters I revert to the onboard computer...me ;) Glad you are enjoying the GS.

Interesting read as I currently have a 2010 RT which is a brilliant bike. LC GS defo looks appealing though. There's just a lot to be said for owning my bike and not having finance etc that I'd require on a GS. Hmm.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Interesting read as I currently have a 2010 RT which is a brilliant bike. LC GS defo looks appealing though. There's just a lot to be said for owning my bike and not having finance etc that I'd require on a GS. Hmm.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm with you, kept the RT longer than any previous bike and put 40 000 miles on it. For doing the boring miles, there is nothing better :)

I have the hill hold control and when it really matters...and I mean really matters, like when you have an audience of 30 looking straight at you while you do a standing start on a 1 in 2 mother of a hill which an old snotter of an 1150 has just done with ease, I revert to the onboard computer...me ;)
Fixed it for you :D

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by G&T
I have the hill hold control and when it really matters...and I mean really matters, like when you have an audience of 30 looking straight at you while you do a standing start on a 1 in 2 mother of a hill which an old snotter of an 1150 has just done with ease, I revert to the onboard computer...me

Fixed it for you :D

I know where you were of course and i wouldn't even try it, i would go the other way
over the bridge as i'm pretty damn sure i would disgrace myself and end up in a heap
hill start assist or no :blast :D

Back
Top Bottom