Cochem to Arnhem route

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking for route recommendations from Cochem travelling to Arnhem. I have looked at various routes on maps but would like advise on non motorway routes. Has anyone done this and if so could you recommend a route. We are not to bothered on distance but would like to take in some good scenic roads with a few good stop offs?

TA:beer:

Are you sure you are ready for this. Having introduced the M/way idea a few years back now, the minor road network in Germany can be tortuous. My suggestion would be to pick a route north up through the Eifel, then drop onto the Autobahn A61 up to Venlo; then, if you are OK for time, follow the Maas N 271 up through Nijmegen & onwards to Arnhem. This avoids the painful journey through the major towns/cities, jams, endless traffic lights etc that blight such journeys. Be careful filtering in Germany - it aint legal. Some drivers will make room, others will block you off.

Loads of choice in the Eifel. How about north towards Mayen, then TL at the 258 junction to Nurberg. then TR north onto the 257 right the way up to the A61. You could pop across to the Rhine at Remagen if WW2 sites are of interest. Frankly there are so many alternatives - others will probably chip in later.

Have a safe trip.

Which maps have you looked at? Direct, it’s about 172 miles, you’ll crack it, with or without great stop-off’s. How long have you set yourself for this journey? A morning, a day, a week? Who is the we? You and 10 mates? What devilish plan brings you to Cochem? How did you plan that route? Have you considered that, in the words of the old joke, “If I were going to Arnhem, I wouldn’t be starting from here”? It’s not a slam dunk certainty that all two points on a map are always joined together by great roads.

Just Google Kurviger, pump in the start / end point and ride what it tells you to ride.

Or try ViaMichelin, avoiding motorways, toll roads etc

47d9a408f33201a10d1386f77245c6e8.jpg

PS Moved to central and north Germany, as you probably (hopefully) won’t be hitting the Alps, Black Forest or the Dolomites before you hit Arnhem enroute from Cochem.

What have you decided on, 47steve? More particularly, any news on how long you have set aside for the journey and when it is you plan on making it etc?

Short hop from Cochem west towards Prum then up through the Eifel National Park skirting the Belgian Border and bypassing Aachen then crossing into the Netherlands round about Venlo

Take a slightly more eastern route & you can pick up a bit of RAF history, that being Operation Chastise 2 of the dams are within 15mls of each other & some decent roads running north to south to get you there..

What have you decided on, 47steve? More particularly, any news on how long you have set aside for the journey and when it is you plan on making it etc?

We are travelling to Arnhem the day before we catch the ferry back home. This will enable us to have a short journey back to the ferry and maybe a stop off in Amsterdam?

So, you have set aside a day to ride between Cochem and Arnhem. Bods can have that vital bit of information in mind when recommending you great roads, no motorways, to join the two towns up.

On that, what what do you think of the suggestions so far? Anything that floats your boat and sets the juices flowing? Or is it, “Keep ‘em coming” still?

Yes,

that gives me something to work from. I believe in getting others opinions especially if they have ridden the area and can recommend a route. ......TA:beerjug:

I’ve enjoyed stopping in Cochem and nearby Klotten.

And Nürburgring is only a little north of Cochem on a super road. Have discovered that the Ring Taxis will only be running from 1715h to 1930h when I’m passing that way in July, so may have to skip the joyride.

I’ve visited Arnhem twice on the way to the ferry, both the Arnhem Bridge mini museum plus the main HQ museum a few miles away, after stopping in Bocholt for my last night.

Makes an easy hop to the ferry.

Though my GPS sometimes disagrees with the road signs as the latest layouts of the A3, A12 and A9 keep you on your toes.

Yesterday I got completely fxcked up with road closures and big diversions. I was following a recommendation from here to ride from Nagold to Pforzheim which was on my way from Titisee to Klotten. With Zumo set to non-motorway, every recalculation meant I was off track so I had to keep deciding whether to abandon my original route or not.

This morning started well on the B259 from Cochem to Nurburgring and beyond, but again I was fxcked up by road closures and diversions.

Sticking with my non-motorway routes I enjoyed riding through Munchen Gladbach plus countless traffic lights and turns.

And it was fxuckin’ hot up to 27 DegC which is way over my limit.

Lots of Zumo lessons learned this trip, which will make a topic on it’s own.

The Netherlands isn’t really set up for travel between towns without using the motorway so except in the most southerly province you can’t do much.

This year we left Cochem and took the B258 / 259 in a north west direction breaking at Monschau and not joining the motorway until Aachen (of FC-moto fame). We travelled to Breda and had a night there before taking in the Kinderdijk windmills and Delt centre en route to the ferry.

Back
Top Bottom