R1100GS - Dies after a couple of minutes

West Sussex to Kingston isn't much of a schlep, go and see the Guru himself.
Usually takes me about 50 minutes. He's been looking after my GS for many years. Just a bit too far to go in 2 minute stints.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

He's been looking after my GS for many years. Just a bit too far to go in 2 minute stints.

:D... And what you'll find is the running time gets shorter and the recovery time gets longer. It'll take you a couple of months to get here :D

On advrider there's a bloke called gsaddict who rewires hall sensors. Did a bang up job on mine for very little money. I did test it thoroughly...

Gaz I have a known good hall sensor for an R1100GS sitting here. You are welcome to borrow if to check if that's your issue, though ill need it sent back either way.

not to contradict everyone else but I had a similar problem and received similar advice. my issue turned out to be the fuel fileter in the tank as I had had the tank off to change the wiring loom for the ignition. Obviously needed doing and the on and off with the tank cause the problem. It would start and then die either eventualy after a few minutes or almost instant if you tried to rev it , constant electrical sound as the pump was trying to get pressue up without success.

just a thought

Thanks for all the comments (and the Hall sensor offer). I've been moving house so all hectic and no time for internet for a while.

Bowser - How did you solve your fuel filter problem? Yor situation sounds very familiar especially as this happened after I moved the tank to replace an ignition loom, and then what happened next (read below)

So, here's an update of my problem:

Got a trailer and booked it into Garage. Just before I loaded it on trailer gave it a little go, all electrics on but as soon as I pressed starter it all died, so loaded it and off on its 2 mile trip to mechanic.

Got a call from mechanic a couple of days later to be told bike was running fine and had been since I dropped it off. They had done nothing apart from start it daily, test ride it and refit the bolt that secures the tank (I took it off and it's such a pain to get in on my own I got them to do it as I asumed they would have the tank off anyway). I picked up bike and have been on a couple of short rides and all ok. So I was totally confused, but as per Bowser's post,. maybe my fuel filter got bunged up and the bumpy trailer journey to the garage dislodged it. The garage also always kept bike on sideside (which I dont) so maybe the very 'gentle' angle and gravity helped.

So my final question, if my Hal sensor is knackerd, could it come back to life for a short while, or is it once its gone its gone?

oh, it did come back from the garage with the speedo not working!!!

Sorry to say I'm not convinced you have anything other than a short term fix. Still sounds like an HES issue lurking to me.

Here is another man's story regarding fuel pump/filter .................. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/distechs-r1100gs.892087/. Dislodging particulates seems a tad unlikely to me.

If she is at least running, it might be a good idea to trot along to that nice Mr Steptoe.

So an update.

Bike worked perfect for a while and all was good in the world. Then last week it started buzzing and running very lumpy. I was near my local garage so popped in. He came out and said my fuel pump was making the noise so I left the bike with him and got the bus home.

Couple days later he called to ask me to pop over. He wanted to show me the fuel filter, which had blown up at the end and had a small hole in it. He had not seen this happen before. Fuel pump was testing ok so he'd got a new filter and was going to give that a go. He'll open up the old filter to see what's going on.

So looks like this whole thing could be fuel filter/pump related.

So, has anyone had a fuel filter blow up before?

no, but had a similar recently on a Guzzi quota. Bike would run fine at anything above idle but would stall out after a few minutes at idle. Water in fuel had stuffed the fuel filter element so at idle the fuel pump would just bypass the filter, back into the tank. New filter, problem solved.

So an update.

Bike worked perfect for a while and all was good in the world. Then last week it started buzzing and running very lumpy. I was near my local garage so popped in. He came out and said my fuel pump was making the noise so I left the bike with him and got the bus home.

Couple days later he called to ask me to pop over. He wanted to show me the fuel filter, which had blown up at the end and had a small hole in it. He had not seen this happen before. Fuel pump was testing ok so he'd got a new filter and was going to give that a go. He'll open up the old filter to see what's going on.

So looks like this whole thing could be fuel filter/pump related.

So, has anyone had a fuel filter blow up before?

Sounds like you found a good mech. The fastest way to diagnose fuel pump, hose leak or plugged filter is to quickly measure the amount of fuel RETURNING to the fuel tank at idle.

Step one is to disconnect the return QD, press in the check valve on the male half, left side, and see if fuel surges out when the key is turned on. If it does, there is enough fuel to start the bike.

Step two is to connect a hose to the left half and measure how much fuel it will pump into a gas can at idle, which should be about 2 liters.

Your bike would have likely failed both tests, which would have pointed you inside the tank right away.

Back
Top Bottom