how difficult is it to service starter motor on a r1150gs 2000 year

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am occasionally hearing a noise after the engine starts from my starter motor - it does not happen every time but it does happen....which PRESUMABLY means that the starter motor needs servicing/replacing... (unless it is normal for a starter motor to be noisy 1 out of every 5-7 startups). its strong and the start is immediate

1. is it at all possible to know when the motor is nearing the end of its life?:
2. Is it difficult for a ham fisted idiot to remove it from the bike? i have basic tools etc
2. Is there anyone who sells reasonably priced units for replacement? I have researched the guides to strip and maintain and basically I have no hope of doing it myself properly....

many thanks

Reuben

Hi all,

I am occasionally hearing a noise after the engine starts from my starter motor - it does not happen every time but it does happen....which PRESUMABLY means that the starter motor needs servicing/replacing... (unless it is normal for a starter motor to be noisy 1 out of every 5-7 startups). its strong and the start is immediate

1. is it at all possible to know when the motor is nearing the end of its life?:
2. Is it difficult for a ham fisted idiot to remove it from the bike? i have basic tools etc
2. Is there anyone who sells reasonably priced units for replacement? I have researched the guides to strip and maintain and basically I have no hope of doing it myself properly....

many thanks

Reuben

excellent thread on it

its easy to remove, 2 x 5mm allen key bolts, one dead easy at side, the other is underneath but visable

undo top lead and solenoid wire

10 minutes would do it
do you want pictures ? I could take some if you wish

I just dismantled mine, easy enough, the spring is cheeky though, watch it

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/207984-Starter-Strip

Easy to remove, if it's your first time removing just put a small plastic bag or tape over the live terminal so it doesn't touch anything as it's live, saves having to disconnect the battery.

2 torx bolts and a couple of wires (unplug one, unbolt the other iirc). It's really very simple and quick.

Sounds like maybe the bendix /clutch is not disengaging? Clean all the gears with spray brake cleaner, let dry, re-lube. 15min job. Refit.

If you get into it, then loads of info here - I think in the sticky links there is a great write up

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2 torx bolts and a couple of wires (unplug one, unbolt the other iirc). It's really very simple and quick.

Sounds like maybe the bendix /clutch is not disengaging? Clean all the gears with spray brake cleaner, let dry, re-lube. 15min job. Refit.

If you get into it, then loads of info here - I think in the sticky links there is a great write up

thats encouraging thanks....take this as a sincere question from a newbie...what lubricant would you use? i would think something which does not trap dust/dirt....but what?

R.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

thats encouraging thanks....take this as a sincere question from a newbie...what lubricant would you use? i would think something which does not trap dust/dirt....but what?

R.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't stress too much about it. I went for a light ish bicycle chain oil for the bendix mech - though I'm not completely sure how it behaves with the heat, it was full of graphite so I was happy to use it. For the little planetary gearbox, some general grease should be fine.

Just to say thank you guys....
jobs done and the starter is much quieter and surprizingly also turns the motor over quicker.....result!!!

R.

Back
Top Bottom