Magadan Panniers on a 1200GS

essjay

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Magadan soft panniers on a 1200GS? I currently have the OEM adventure panniers and racks fitted.

Asking as I bounced off a couple of cars while filtering on the commute. The right pannier clipped a rear bumper which sent the bike veering left towards another car which I clipped with the left pannier. My own fault as I clearly got my angles all wrong.

So it has me thinking are the panniers too wide for the type of commuting I do. The choices are to replace them with a 50L-ish topbox or soft panniers.

Not entirely sure though how the Magadans would work with the exhaust and could I strap them around the pannier frames.

Do they project wider then the handlebars if so I'd say not ideal for city work, if no then look at how close you are to the cars when filtering.. if my bars go through then my paniers do as I have the vario (collapsed)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The OEM GSA panniers is not wider than the handlebars when fitted to the OEM frames. The handlebar width is the same on GS and GSA. Practise a bit more to get your eye in :D

Just avoid weaving or a Lanier may well clout a car corner. But generally with door mirrors especially on vanes there’s more than enough space for panniers.
Mirrors are not so convenient because the BMW’s don’t swing back when bumped. If you are lucky they won’t take you off when you catch a van mirror. On the plus-side they concentrate the mind.

Back
Top Bottom