R Nine T issue, or is it just the way the “all” are?

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So wife’s R9T Pure 40% of the time fails to go into 1st gear from neutral unless one squeezes clutch lever twice 🤨. A bit of a rigmarole to deal with for a new rider that is.

So bike got picked up by the dealer and had been with them now for 48h.

Just had a call from the dealers and they admit that bike has a problem, but at same time they are saying “all” oil cooled GS’s, R9T’s and any other bike that uses same gearbox arrangement have this occasional issue going in to gear and most owners would experience it at least once or twice a year. Just to note, wife had her bike for about 5 weeks now and experienced this issue at least a dozen times, so have I.

I rode same model loan bike a few weeks back and had no issues at all. Rode wife’s bike for 15 minutes and experienced it 3 times.

Tell me that this is normal, because in my books it isn’t.

Cheers

EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So wife’s R9T Pure 40% of the time fails to go into 1st gear from neutral unless one squeezes clutch lever twice 🤨. A bit of a rigmarole to deal with for a new rider that is.

So bike got picked up by the dealer and had been with them now for 48h.

Just had a call from the dealers and they admit that bike has a problem, but at same time they are saying “all” oil cooled GS’s, R9T’s and any other bike that uses same gearbox arrangement have this occasional issue going in to gear and most owners would experience it at least once or twice a year. Just to note, wife had her bike for about 5 weeks now and experienced this issue at least a dozen times, so have I.

I rode same model loan bike a few weeks back and had no issues at all. Rode wife’s bike for 15 minutes and experienced it 3 times.

Tell me that this is normal, because in my books it isn’t.

Cheers

EV

Ah, the old they all do that sir argument.

Ask them to put that statement in writing, for some reason they'll get reluctant.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Ah, the old they all do that sir argument.

Ask them to put that statement in writing, for some reason they'll get reluctant.

Will do I I have to!

Will do I I have to!

Sadly, some dealers do speak with forked tongue others tell truth.

As you've found a similar bike which doesn't do it, it sort of confirms it.

I do recall that sometimes the st used to take a couple of goes before selecting 1st but normally only first thing, nothing like your problem.

I'd document conversation, so if there's problem's further down the line, you can evidence they knew about it.

I have a R Nine T and a TC GSA and never had any gearbox trouble with any of them.

As you've found a similar bike which doesn't do it, it sort of confirms it.

Yes, he was going on about the gearbox needing to loosen up since bike still quite new and tight and all that, when I said that the bike is “your” ex demo bike and has 2800 miles on the clock, I believe it had a fair share of “sensible” running in under it’s belt. He soon let go of that idea, especially when I said that an identical loan bike with less than 250 miles on the clock did not have such problem, he said I would need to speak to superiors and BMW......

Good I said, am looking forward to hearing from you with some exiting news.

Call back some 30 seconds ago as I write.

“Master technician has taken the bike out for an extensive round town test ride and can confirm that there is a “difficulty” with getting into gear but it is a characteristic of these bikes”

I literally said “ I am not buying that suggestion”, answer we don’t need to talk waffle or lie to you sir, but leave it with us and we will do further digging.

Sure, thank you and speak soon.

WTF they think I am, some numb head?

Yes, he was going on about the gearbox needing to loosen up since bike still quite new and tight and all that, when I said that the bike is “your” ex demo bike and has 2800 miles on the clock, I believe it had a fair share of “sensible” running in under it’s belt. He soon let go of that idea, especially when I said that an identical loan bike with less than 250 miles on the clock did not have such problem, he said I would need to speak to superiors and BMW......

Good I said, am looking forward to hearing from you with some exiting news.

Call back some 30 seconds ago as I write.

“Master technician has taken the bike out for an extensive round town test ride and can confirm that there is a “difficulty” with getting into gear but it is a characteristic of these bikes”

I literally said “ I am not buying that suggestion”, answer we don’t need to talk waffle or lie to you sir, but leave it with us and we will do further digging.

Sure, thank you and speak soon.

WTF they think I am, some numb head?

Even worse, do they think swmbo is a numbhead, that's a painful suicide.

Does not sound right - occasionally when cold mine will be reluctant to select first gear until I let out the clutch slightly which appears to let it snick into place. Never a problem once warmed up.

Does not sound right - occasionally when cold mine will be reluctant to select first gear until I let out the clutch slightly which appears to let it snick into place. Never a problem once warmed up.

That’s what he suggested, letting clutch out slightly. Maybe when cold only but surely not after riding it for any given period of time.

That’s what he suggested, letting clutch out slightly. Maybe when cold only but surely not after riding it for any given period of time.

Yes, the gearboxes are a bit klunky until they've got a few miles on them, there can be problems selecting 1st from cold.

I sounds like clutch needs adjusted, difficult on hydraulic I know, perhaps the linkage needs set, none of which should be required on a "new" bike with such a mileage.

See what the mothership says.

Agreed - never a problem on mine once warmed up.

I have only done 2K on mine in a year, I have used it in winter and have never had a problem with the gearbox, in fact, I would say it is one of the better gearboxes I have had on a motorcycle, dealer is being acunt.

I have only done 2K on mine in a year, I have used it in winter and have never had a problem with the gearbox, in fact, I would say it is one of the better gearboxes I have had on a motorcycle, dealer is being acunt.

I believe they do know what the fault is, and trying to avoid dealing with it because it is probably long and tedious process to rectify. So next best option is to try to tell buyer that “they all do that” and see if it will work. Not on this occasion.

I believe they do know what the fault is, and trying to avoid dealing with it because it is probably long and tedious process to rectify. So next best option is to try to tell buyer that “they all do that” and see if it will work. Not on this occasion.

Probably during enthusiastic demo ride, who cares what happens to someone else's bike after all, damage was done.

If, as you suspect, they were aware of the problem then that's misselling and possible fraud, if it's covered by warranty, pre existing faults aren't covered.

Probably during enthusiastic demo ride, who cares what happens to someone else's bike after all, damage was done.

If, as you suspect, they were aware of the problem then that's misselling and possible fraud, if it's covered by warranty, pre existing faults aren't covered.

Now you made me worry about it even more

I've had an R Nine T which I sold last year and changed it for an R Nine T Urban GS and I also have an eight year old R1200GSA TC and have to say the clutch and first gear selection is usually pretty good.

Infact I thought the R Nine T gearboxes are really sweet

FP.

I've had an R Nine T which I sold last year and changed it for an R Nine T Urban GS and I also have an eight year old R1200GSA TC and have to say the clutch and first gear selection is usually pretty good.

Infact I thought the R Nine T gearboxes are really sweet

FP.

I need more such evidence as ammunition when I go there on Saturday, should they still try to fob us off!

2,000 miles on a SX - gearbox is silky sweet - no issues at all selecting first...

Back
Top Bottom