The hairy Gael and the beautiful 62 year old German...

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
are thinking of going for a bimble for 2-3 days next week if the weather forecast stays dry. Suggestions where please, starting from North Hampshire.

The hairy Gael (not you, Jockser!) has had his mug featured enough in recent ride reports not to inflict it on you again. (If you are a glutton for punishment, click here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/464067-Gael-Warnings-in-West-Africa/page16

The sleek elderly German beauty is less well known in these pages IMG_9848.JPG

This will be the first multi day outing on this bike, a 1956 r50 which was first delivered on 10 March 1956 to a customer of Friedrich Voos jr. Bmw dealership (now defunct) in Solingen, West Germany. It then resided in Holland from 1956 until 2016 when I acquired it.

Hoping to avoid motorways (but also the muckier B roads) and possibly head into Wales (but will follow the weather ).

All thoughts gratefully received. This will be a bimble with maps rather than GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are thinking of going for a bimble for 2-3 days next week if the weather forecast stays dry. Suggestions where please, starting from North Hampshire.

The hairy Gael (not you, Jockser!) has had his mug featured enough in recent ride reports not to inflict it on you again. (If you are a glutton for punishment, click here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/464067-Gael-Warnings-in-West-Africa/page16

The sleek elderly German beauty is less well known in these pages View attachment 371098

This will be the first multi day outing on this bike, a 1956 r50 which was first delivered on 10 March 1956 to a customer of Friedrich Voos jr. Bmw dealership (now defunct) in Solingen, West Germany. It then resided in Holland from 1956 until 2016 when I acquired it.

Hoping to avoid motorways (but also the muckier B roads) and possibly head into Wales (but will follow the weather ).

All thoughts gratefully received. This will be a bimble with maps rather than GPS.

My R50 is the one year younger.........even at the modest speeds of an R50. The brakes are a bit iffy (except when damp first thing in the morning), very heavy flywheel means slow gear changes upwards and I bit of a blip of the throttle downwards.

Lots of charm and a surprisingly cramped riding position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely bike. :beerjug:

I'd think that suspension (and its effect on your arse and back) will define how many miles a day you'll average...

Mike: suspension seems remarkably comfortable (but let's see how I feel after I do more than 70 miles in one hit!).
Lots of competition from posh young totty like this
IMG_9847.JPG
and this
IMG_9849.JPG
both seen at Bahnstormer yesterday....but you can't beat the real thing!

That RnineT is nice, except for the school satchel on the back :barf but each to their own.

The Triumph, no...just no!

Sunday us looking like rain around our parts Simon.
But next week looks nice, dry & warm...

Attachments

• 20180413_225438.png
    20180413_225438.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 831
Indeed, Ash... thinking to depart Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. A kind GSer up Nantwich way has offered me garage space so that's one potential direction.

Preparation is important for these long and arduous trips to distant parts, where the security situation may be tense and there is the possibility of crossing international boundaries (if I go to Wales).

Issues to be addressed include:

Which passport shall I travel under?
416a9f6fe3e76f750af76a5c4a6c297e.jpg

Do I need my immunisation record?
Probably not.

Have I packed the tool kit?
6f8cd98e196a70a905f9c660cf25bce3.jpg

Yes neatly tucked into the tank, it even has tyre levers and feeler gauges.

Is the piece of emery paper excessively large?

Yes and I have trimmed it down, as I am still psychologically scarred by Tim Cullis' (of this parish) mockery of my excessive duck tape packing en route to follow the 'Lisbon- Dakar' over a decade ago.

Reduced size emery paper
d3e583e0809a86acdbe8e19914ef607c.jpg

Is the (completely ineffective) standard pump packed?

93b28fb42ab25a517949f0a3ffa52ecc.jpg

Have I got my cycling puncture repair Kit? Yes, seen above the pump. (As if I thought I could lever off the tyre of the BMW, given the hard work I found doing this on my KTM 690).

How will I fix my navigation device to the handlebars?

08efba77555ae49869156b5746a448e3.jpg

Good meteorological intel is also critical:

Fortunately it looks like Ash is on the case! (See previous post).

And mustn't forget the National Trust vacuum mug which saw me through 3 months across Africa. It's important to have a flask of tea for sitting in lay-bys (although ideally you need a Morris 1100 to go with it)

Got the first leg of the trip in mind

1a7b9d8164b6be3da973a2f60b23edeb.jpg

My impeccable pre-expedition planning established this route leads to a garden centre with superb fruit scones, an essential for energy replacement in hostile environments.

IMG_9853.JPG
Forgot to attach a picture of the trusty trans Africa flask!

If you need a night in Bristol give me a shout....

Thanks Chasbmw: will look at the weather forecast tomorrow and let you know - very kind!

Jockser: hope I won't tire of her but if this run goes well, maybe a run on her to the Emerald Isle ?

Well Jockser I took your advice and had the beard trimmed....to the necessary hipster style for riding an old airhead IMG_9870.JPG
The bike is fuelled up and the weather tomorrow looks promising
IMG_9874.JPG

I have packed navigation guidance and the necessary emergency nutrition

It’s not quite as far as my last bimble this year
IMG_9866.JPG

Just hope the locals will be as friendly!

Attachments

• IMG_9875.JPG
    IMG_9875.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 652
After a fabulous day with a great 450kms ride in sunshine I will let the pictures speak for themselves

Ready for the off
IMG_9876.JPG

Coffee break in Highworth, Oxon
IMG_9877.JPG

One of many many stop signs as the country’s roads are repaired
DSC01875.JPG

Parked up at morning break
IMG_9878.JPG

The view from the cockpit

DSC01877.JPG

DSC01878.JPG

Lots of wet roads across the country

But beautiful spring gardens like this one at Dipley Mill

DSC01876.JPG

The Duke of Wellingtons back door

DSC01880.JPG

Roman towns
DSC01881.JPG

Barbed wire at Aldermaston

DSC01882.JPG

I am settling in to the old Bmw saddle but my but still my rear-end wishes this sign were literally true! I think this town was named so because it’s on the A4 halfway between London and Bath:
4cba53ab29ec61d07fe158cc82b82f7b.jpg

The scenery is changing as I get into the Cotswolds- Burford:
9e901af5bf3d1c05bf942a4045e48e50.jpg

298a16f9775cfc700249391e43c67b22.jpg

DSC01887.JPG
The famous hill climb...wish I had stopped to visit it.

The houses are looking a little different

DSC01890.JPG

DSC01891.JPG
DSC01893.JPG

Evidently not everyone in Wales is a Leaver (Engineer, don’t lose faith!)
DSC01895.JPG
6348b76aa169735f36213e16a7579dee.jpg

And a few reflections on the ride:

I wore my genuine hipster gear (jeans, Rokker boots and open face helmet) and 30 miles in I was having second thoughts- boots pressing on shins, getting a bit cool, and windy around the head.

But it all settled into a comfortable routine and felt better, meanwhile the r50 was going like a train...cornering well and accelerating vigorously even if the brakes were a bit enthusiastic And it has been averaging about 60 mpg which is not bad as I have not been holding back!

Safely arrived at my generous host, Albatross
IMG_9888.JPG
Visited Nantwich church just before
IMG_9884.JPG

And finally a tribute to this site for the support it offers to random riders like moi☘️ (I have had several offers of help and accommodation from inmates).

Albatross has asked if I am 'done with the pictures' so with this snap of the Ridgway, crossed near Hinton Parva, I can say 'Yes'!
' DSC01884.JPG

No pictures of locals washing their smalls in the streams, women carrying heavy bundles of firewood along the road or donkey & carts heading to market :nenau
What sort of an RR is this at all at all :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work Simon :beerjug:

A cracking write up and what a lovely old bike. The whole read made me go ahhhhhh...

Loved it.....:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom