1150 GS Adventure cutting out at full throttle

curdavey

Reaction score
Bike 1150 GS Adventure
Year 2003
Mileage 50k

When riding bike last week the bike cut out briefly. I was on motorway in 6th gear at about 70 mph.

Yesterday I spent took it for a run to see if I could recreate the issue.

I was able to recreate and found a pattern.

If I run the bike an don't use full throttle (say 3/4) travelling at 60 mph and then open throttle full, the bike starts cutting out. As soon as I come off the throttle say back to 3/4 the bike runs fine. Open full throttle again and issue occurs.

First thought was stick coil and although I've not checked I would have expected problems (running rough) all the time.

Looking to see if anyone has experienced similar or provide guidance on where to start first.

Thanks

Dave

First thought was stick coil and although I've not checked I would have expected problems (running rough) all the time.

Not so.

They can break down under load rather than simply running rough all the time.
Even then the bike can still run perfectly normal.

Also the secondary plugs are slightly retarded so if the mains are starting to fail it will show up at higher revs.

Remove the lower secondary plugs on both sides, now start it up and see if it runs on both sides.

I'm still a noob here, and I'm always impressed by the knowledge and willingness to help of members like Steptoe. :thumb2

I was thinking fuel starvation?

Some moons ago now, on the way to sud germania one summer, a coil sick was on its way out or had even gone. But I found that at high revs all was good ie. Everything above 70. But it was on slowing down it all misbehaved and got lumpy.

But Steptoe's your man :thumb2

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I was thinking fuel starvation

It could well be... But let's get the most common problem tested and diagnosed first, plus it costs no money and doesn't involve any dirty time consuming work. Then we can take it from there.

It could well be... But let's get the most common problem tested and diagnosed first, plus it costs no money and doesn't involve any dirty time consuming work. Then we can take it from there.
You're right! As usual :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I know two things about 1150s, the first is that its always the stick coils.

Checked various and can recreate at lower speeds

Thanks for all replies

I've checked Stick Coils and they appear to be fine. Getting spark no problem. I've checked all plugs and all good.

In my initial post i was able to recreate at higher speeds, however i'm able to recreate at lower speed when labouring at say 30 mph in 5th gear at quickly opening to full throttle. The bike cuts out but is fine as soon as i come off throttle.

I've had a suggestion that i should check if there is any water in tank. I can drain tank and check, however i'm not sure why this would cause issue described above as i would have expected issue to occur all the time if there was water in tank.

I'm thinking that when opening throttle full there must be a mixture problem maybe too much air being brought it in. I'm no expert so if anyone can suggest other routes to check first.

Thanks

Dave

I had a bike with a similar issue,full throttle caused it to misfire,backfire and generally lurch about.
After a lot of messing,and swapping of parts I decided to swap the lambda sensor off another bike just to eliminate it.
Much to my surprise,it sorted it.
The symptoms certainly did not point to this.
Sometimes you get a weird one

Loose Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (Near side throttle body) could be another candidate though only possible if its been messed with previously, if that's the case it would under fuel on wide throttle openings.

I'm inclined to think not a throttle imbalance as that would manifest as problem throughout the rev range.

Worth checking the fuel filter which is another easy one as are the breather hoses.

Back
Top Bottom