starter motor

otruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wrestled the starter motor out of the 100gs, put a battery across it, just about shows willing. Does not throw the starter gear out though. Just wondering if its time for an new starter, are Valeo any good any suggestions? Or do I strip the old one and get it back into action.

Cheers

Youve nothing to loose giving it a strip, clean and lube, other than time

Check & clean the commutator & brushes too

if it works great, if not, hey ho , order a new one :)

If you are getting a new one, don't get a Valeo. Either stick with Bosch or get a Nippon Denso. It's worth the extra!

Strip and clean easy enough done. Cheap ones on eBay are fine.

The magnets let go on mine, replaced with HQ Pattern one from Motobins - straight swap, all good. GBP98 in Nov '16

Hmm, just replaced a 7 year old Odyssey battery that was struggling to turn over my 84 R100 with a Motobat AEM 32AH battery from motor works. Its better and does start it up but doesn't spin it over like I was expecting. Sounds like I might need to take the starter out and get it sorted.

If you are getting a new one, don't get a Valeo. Either stick with Bosch or get a Nippon Denso. It's worth the extra!

This,
The polish Valeo has a plastic planetary gear,,shiiite.
Tuftys bike stripped two in not many more weeks.
Either service the Bosch or spend on the nippon denso.
The French built valeo has a steel planetary gear,no issues.
If the magnets have gone on the French one ,rebuild it:thumb

Looks like I will pull it to bits and see whats what if all fail I'll be turning Japanese.

Good decision. The Nippon Denso ones are also used in Toyota trucks.

No complaints with mine so far!

im on my 3rd Valero all replaced under warranty by motorbins , im getting a nippon when this is has blown itself to bits like the others

I fitted a Motobatt , Valeo knock off from Caltric on Ebay and HD battery leads at the same time, 8 years/ 200,000 km back .
Total cost was around 40% of the cost of a Nipon Denso starte alone, at that time.
There is a BMW tech bulletin advising to change the starter relay if you change from a Bosch to a Valeo, which I followed ,err, later!
Thenew bits transformed the starting from reluctant to instant and spin the bike over like a sewing machine and they are all still performing like new, on my hi comp 1000 cc G/S.

Kickback from a wrongly timed or misfiring ignition is usually the cause of stripped planetary gears.

The plastic gears on the OE French Valeo on my GS stripped when a tooth broke off the starter ring and jammed the starter.
Replacement gears for the later Valeo knock offs are easy to find and cheap, but it seems folks who can time ignition are a bit scarcer, particularly on this forum http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1614.htm

Fitted Odyssey battery 11 years ago, still going but needs a top up occasionally now, blew two Valeo's, Nippon Denso yer only man.

Back
Top Bottom