GS 80 Basic resto and others..

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a nice chat with Mr Mikeyboy yesterday ...:augie

So now looking forward to having a couple of my bikes sorted:thumb

1, 1988 GS100 PD, a lovely bike but with a long standing problem with a load on the back, pillion / luggage causing awful bar wobbles / tank slapping. Also a slight clutch slip when in top under load using the engine torque.

2, 1997 GS80 Kalahari, again a lovely bike but has turned into a bit of a smoker so Mike will be investigating and sorting that as well, possible rings / valves / guides :rolleyes:

3, My lads GS80 Kalahari now just nudging 100 k km..:augie

It's very original and looking a bit tatty after 20 plus years, runs lovely though but it maybe time to treat the old girl to some preventative maintenance , and improvements.

I'll mull my options when Mikeyboy views my lads bike, do I go for mechanical checks / maintenance / improvements ? Or treat my lad to a full resto :yikes

Looking forward to meeting Mike in the coming weeks and discussing my options.

:clap

Can we have some pictures so we can give advice and opinions on what to do that you ca n completely ignore please :aidan

Have you converted the no1 bike to a pd or did you buy it like that ?

Good man keep these beauties going :cool:

Can we have some pictures so we can give advice and opinions on what to do that you ca n completely ignore please :aidan

Yes the PD is a PD ( kick start model ) although I can't start it on the kick start. :rolleyes:

Many years ago I viewed three bikes at Gary Burtons place.

1988 100 PD

1996 GS 80 Kalahari

1994 R100R Classic

I couldn't make my mind up which one to buy so I bought the three. :blast

If Mike wants to post pics that's fine. :beerjug:

As long as my plates are covered. :D

Mike did my ground up rebuild (posted on here) him & Charley are the Masters:bow

Why don't you have Mikey turn them into bobbers then they would be worth the cost of the rebuild?

I'll get my coat :D

Mike did my ground up rebuild (posted on here) him & Charley are the Masters:bow

Mike is collecting my PD and Kalahari in the coming weeks so once they are back to health and he's viewed my lads bike I'll have a better idea of what's involved. Part of me likes original but after 20 odd years and 100 k kms its due some fettling. Question is how far to go. My lad loves the bike so its either make it good mechanically or go the whole Hogg as a surprise gift for him.

:blast

Just had my 80G/s engine and box done and Mikey's done a great job.

An airhead is the type of bike you can keep for the whole of your biking life, spoil him

Just had my 80G/s engine and box done and Mikey's done a great job.

An airhead is the type of bike you can keep for the whole of your biking life, spoil him

I agree with that and, while he's loving his airhead he may not buy a Jap rocket so you will sleep better at night. :thumb

R80G/S...or a Basic/Kalahari....... restore to original (well, with the improvements that are now available....but leave looking stock)
...your lad will love you for it if it comes back looking great and going well (and I’m sure it will from Mike)

Post pics once complete.

Ride safe

whats the reg number of your R80GS Basic - could it be P958TMX?

I'd love to see the before and after photos of the bikes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's down to mikeyboy... :rob

You won't see any difference in my bikes , its all internal stuff unless mike wants to show the gubbins ( good northern word ) .

It's my lads that's the bigun.

My only son. :D

Nope not that...:D

Was that yours ?

I had a few - but I sold that one to Gary - almost started him off on his Basic quest - before that he was really keen on PD's - I bought a few from him

very few "Kalahari's" were made - I would think all of them that were registered in the UK started off as GS80 Basics with a big tank being added later, taking on the mantle of being a Kalahari - the Kalahari was launched in South Africa, (with some being kept back in Germany)

I've got a good doner bike that's running spot on no issues maybe it's an idea to give it to Mickeyboy to do his magic to it
0f6ab06b6e322132a1333424021e557e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom