fuel filler mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I filled my RT (lc) with fuel and tried to brim it. It took 21.53L with about 40 miles showing to empty.

A few bikes ago (R1200gs) I did the fuel filler mod. Just removed the t25 screws and lifted the fuel filler neck out.

This afternoon I thought I would do the same. After removing the screws I couldn't get the filler to part company with the body work completely. At the rear it was lifting ok but at the front it seemed like a tab was engaged and didn't want to start forcing it.

I have done a search but couldn't find this info. Yes a nice one on removing the tank but that started with all the plastic removed.

My bike has a keyed fuel tank.

Do you have to remove the centre trim panel to remove the fuel filler ?

On the video I watched the keyless filler had tabs at the front and a wire going forward to join the loom some where.

So its 2 questions really, what has to come off to lift the filler neck out.

next if any body has done it did it make a difference to the tank capacity.

If it has a plastic neck you can make a hole with a screwdriver without removing the fuel filler neck from the tank.

Have checked the neck material and it is indeed plastic, probably HDPE. Will check the parts diagram and probably go for a 1mm dia hole to start.

on the Wethead RT, the tank filler internal has 2 parts. There is an outer removable sleeve which dips down into the tank (well worth removing). and once that is off, you have a much shorter stub which you can then pop a drill through to allow the tank to fill more quickly.
If the tupperware is already off (and I mean everything including the tank cover - not just the air filter), this is a very quick and worthwhile mod. If it is not off, then it is time consuming and I would advise wait till you do take the plastic off.

on the Wethead RT, the tank filler internal has 2 parts. There is an outer removable sleeve which dips down into the tank (well worth removing). and once that is off, you have a much shorter stub which you can then pop a drill through to allow the tank to fill more quickly.
If the tupperware is already off (and I mean everything including the tank cover - not just the air filter), this is a very quick and worthwhile mod. If it is not off, then it is time consuming and I would advise wait till you do take the plastic off.

Now thats the sort of info I was after.

I suspected that most of the body work had to be removed to get at the filler neck. It looked like the centre panel retained the top part of the filler cap.

As you said best done when doing the air filter.

Thanks for the info.

I had posted this question on the R1200rt forum.

Bandytales replied on this site with excellent photo's of what was involved. I have more than enough information now to attempt the job.

Out of courtesy to Bandtales I will not post the photo's, after all they are his work. ( Copyright may be involved as well )

Should readers be interested get yourself over to the RT forum and view the info.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom