Nav 6 Speed cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prawnini

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking I need to have a subscription for the speed cameras to work on the Nav6?

Am I correct in thinking I need to have a subscription for the speed cameras to work on the Nav6?

No, simply turn them on in the menu. Not sure if its a limited subscription, but is still working on mine, 10 mths in. Some folks prefer here prefer other forms, as Garmin does an awful lot of reporting mobile cams.

No, simply turn them on in the menu.

Mine are not working and after having three different units Garmin say I have to have a subscription, I opted for a 30 day trial but that didn’t work either so was just wanting support from the forum before I call them on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are not working and after having three different units Garmin say I have to have a subscription, I opted for a 30 day trial but that didn’t work either so was just wanting support from the forum before I call them on Monday.

oh, odd. All I can say is that I have (or had) them, and wasn't required to pay - I've just picked up a replacement nav 6, but haven't yet looked to see if this remains the case.

I have a Nav 6 and don’t pay any subscription. My Nav warns me of fixed speed cameras. FWIW it does not detect mobile cameras. Also it doesn’t spot every fixed camera so not really worth having ? There’s one road with six cameras spaced out over two miles and it only ever detects one of them. Hope this info helps you

I have a Nav 6 and don’t pay any subscription. My Nav warns me of fixed speed cameras. FWIW it does not detect mobile cameras. Also it doesn’t spot every fixed camera so not really worth having ? There’s one road with six cameras spaced out over two miles and it only ever detects one of them. Hope this info helps you

It doesn't detect mobile cams of course, simply the history of these having been used in the victory, warning about these.

Seems to pick up all of the fixed cams in Coventry, though as none of them are switched on that's a bit pointless :)

When I spoke to Garmin on Friday they say the Cyclops database they use is updated every 2 weeks, I am well aware that it is only fixed cameras. The point I am trying to drill down on is, do others get speed camera alerts without taking a separate subscription? Whether we feel its worthwhile or not is another discussion, those I have spoken to say they get them out of the box, after the 30 day trial and never need to pay anything extra.

The subscription element is to have the date refreshed from time to time. The nav6 has camera data loaded from new but it maybe a couple of years out of date: temporary cameras covering roadworks maybe long gone.
AlanR

The subscription element is to have the date refreshed from time to time. The nav6 has camera data loaded from new but it maybe a couple of years out of date: temporary cameras covering roadworks maybe long gone.
AlanR

Thanks Alan, you see Garmin say we should not be able to get the alerts without a subscription.

I picked up my bike 7/3/18. I updated the Nav 6 with the latest maps and safety cameras, I don't know how long the updates will last but will keep updating til it stops. If you bought it new I would think that you should get at least 12 months of updates if available.

My nav V just comes up with a warning now and again stating the cameras are out of date and to update it no subscription paid for so Id suggest it would be similar.I also have the Garmin traffic app which gives traffic updates via your mobile phone data connection in a banner across the top of the screen, I think I paid something like £15 one off subscription for the app a couple of years ago in the app store.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/111441

Dynamic off street parking £5.99
Photolive [europe] £5.99
Advanced Weather £5.99

Thanks Alan, you see Garmin say we should not be able to get the alerts without a subscription.

Sorry as I tried to answer your question earlier. I do get speed camera alerts and do not pay a subscription

Do you use the Garmin Smartlink app?
That is supposed to give you the latest cameras from cyclops (and allow you to report new ones). Not sure if it’s only when you have the app linked to the NAV or if it downloads an updated file to the NAV unit.

When I first got my NAV V it had cameras as a pay for option in the My Account part of the smartlink app. Soon after the option disappeared from there and I had the cameras appearing on my unit and I know I sure didn’t click the buy button or give them a credit card to charge so I presumed they started offering it free with the units.

It all depends on what is included with the Nav 6 package

Lifetime maps are not lifetime according to garmin, so dont think they are ;)

Garmin's stance is lifetime maps for as long as they support the Nav unit.

Once it's discontinued / obso then no more lifetime maps

Speed camera's come free with the unit, but within 2 weeks will be out of date

A subscrition to camera's is £12 for a year, or £16 for lifetime with the usual caveat (see above)

I wouldn’t bother with the Garmin cameras. They’re are total rubbish. You get alerts telling you that there once ‘was’ a mobile in an area. Around here that’s almost every street. You can’t turn these off without turning all of them off.

There are other data bases out there you can download. Use POI loader to install them and then in the settings tell it to use those instead of the Garmin ones. I’ve tried two different ones and neither are perfect but they’re better then the cyclops ones from Garmin.

The other alternative is to get them on your phone and use the alerts from there. I use tomtom in the car and they are by far the best out there in my experience, but I’m not paying for another subscription just for the bike! Their mobile alerts only appear if there is actually a camera there, way way superior to Garmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom