CE Approved .........MY ARS*

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The brother in law is getting back into bikes after a 5 or 6 year break and bought a nice Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord a couple of weeks ago, he got rid of his bike gear a few years back so decided to replace it with cheap kit that he can upgrade next winter.

Went to a local(ish) supplier and bought an okay looking LS2 flip front lid, a waterproof 'Adventure style' textile suit and boots /gloves etc.

The Jacket and trousers look okay (not sure whether they will be waterproof ) but at least came with CE Approved armour and back protector , I looked at the back protector in the jacket and it is about as CE approved as a wet lettuce consisting of a 4mm thick piece of foam similar to the stuff you use to line the draws in a tool chest.

Luckily I had a proper CE approved protector that fitted the pocket in the jacket but for FFS how do these f*ckers get away with such shit ,I recommended that he sends the so called protector and the relevant paperwork to Trading Standards

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 437
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 432
The brother in law is getting back into bikes after a 5 or 6 year break and bought a nice Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord a couple of weeks ago, he got rid of his bike gear a few years back so decided to replace it with cheap kit that he can upgrade next winter.

Went to a local(ish) supplier and bought an okay looking LS2 flip front lid, a waterproof 'Adventure style' textile suit and boots /gloves etc.

The Jacket and trousers look okay (not sure whether they will be waterproof ) but at least came with CE Approved armour and back protector , I looked at the back protector in the jacket and it is about as CE approved as a wet lettuce consisting of a 4mm thick piece of foam similar to the stuff you use to line the draws in a tool chest.

Luckily I had a proper CE approved protector that fitted the pocket in the jacket but for FFS how do these f*ckers get away with such shit ,I recommended that he sends the so called protector and the relevant paperwork to Trading Standards

Maybe it’s to protect you from a wasp sting?

How much was the jacket? EN1621-1 and or 2 (back and spine) is a more relevant number to look for when considering armour for bike gear.

Suit seems to be an RST look alike, not sure how much he paid

When a jacket is sold / marketed as "CE-Approved", isn't it typically only the armour that's CE-rated? IIUC, there are jackets that are fully CE-Approved - i.e. the jacket itself (including the armour) is CE-rated - but they're not that common?

In most entry- and mid-priced jackets, it's typically only the elbow & shoulder armour that's CE-rated (EN1621-1 Level 1 or 2), but most / all of these jackets will come with a foam back pad the same or similar to that in your pics. They get a few more bob out of you for the proper CE-rated back armour (EN1621-2 Level 1 or 2), cos you're obviously going to buy one.

I'd bet that the manufacturer and / or seller has stated somewhere that your bro's jacket doesn't include a CE-rated back protector.

suppose to be a new reg out next year that all bike gear has to conform to a certain std to be sold. Maybe ya Bruv has purchased the gear they now need to get rid off .

We all know the Chinese system.

You wan CE. Ye Ye we do CE. Where you wan sticker? Big one? small one?

Bro would do better with a Hit-Air vest.

Back
Top Bottom