Hilltop

I'm finding the mid range a bit limp for overtaking etc.. not bothered about huge BHP, but would love a bit more mid range umfff... to me it feals like the bike goes lean a bit mid range... that said, sometime it does feel okay?... not sure what / how it changes but sure it does? may be where you start from on the map and the conditions as to how it responds... ?... anyway.. Would the Hill Top address this issue from those who've had it done?

No i'm not going to tell insurance company as it's 125bhp bike, we are not there yet. Ive never had BMW do a safety related update, they haven't even sorted out my forks after a year so I'm not going to hold my breath, though my wife encourages me to.

No i'm not going to tell insurance company as it's 125bhp bike, we are not there yet. Ive never had BMW do a safety related update, they haven't even sorted out my forks after a year so I'm not going to hold my breath, though my wife encourages me to.
What's that go to do with anything?

Brave decision on the insurance.

I'm finding the mid range a bit limp for overtaking etc.. not bothered about huge BHP, but would love a bit more mid range umfff... to me it feals like the bike goes lean a bit mid range... that said, sometime it does feel okay?... not sure what / how it changes but sure it does? may be where you start from on the map and the conditions as to how it responds... ?... anyway.. Would the Hill Top address this issue from those who've had it done?

yes it does. It will boost torque throughout the rev range and get rid of the emissions dip in the middle

1. No don't need to as the map is not visable
2. Is the stated emissions figures correct ( rememberr VW) and who cares as the industry lies.
3. Firm ware updates do not affect the installed map as its an addition not an alteration .
Hows that

1. You are obliged to tell your insurance company, regardless of whether or not it’s visible.
2. That didn’t answer my question, does it still comply or not?
3. Firmware and ‘a map’ are two different things, so that doesn’t answer my question.

How’s that? :)

1. You are obliged to tell your insurance company, regardless of whether or not it’s visible.
2. That didn’t answer my question, does it still comply or not?
3. Firmware and ‘a map’ are two different things, so that doesn’t answer my question.

How’s that? :)

Okay so it does not exist so you still need to tell them , why ?
How can you quote the correct figures if the figures are not correct at the source .
Okay I may not understand the firmware and map differences but as I said the upgrades do not affect the hilltop changes .
Oh I'm an engineer as well and I'm a cnut too :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:thumby::thumby:

yes it does. It will boost torque throughout the rev range and get rid of the emissions dip in the middle

I'm down there on a Triumph tour in a couple of weeks.. got to say it sounds good....

Could get it on the dyno up here before and after ;)

Nearly 20ftlbs more torque across the range and another 18bhp at top, however over 100bhp from 6k as standard it was 98bhp. at 8K. The bike is 15 plate so not worried about the warranty! Did make me realise looking at another bikes dyno readings that if you don't give the engine some welly and use the rev range you can really restrict the output. So it does good to rag it senseless!!
Power gains of that magnitude are not possible just by adjusting fuel mixture and timing.

How can you quote the correct figures if the figures are not correct at the source .
Okay I may not understand the firmware and map differences but as I said the upgrades do not affect the hilltop changes .
Oh I'm an engineer as well and I'm a cnut too :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:thumby::thumby:
You need to tell your insurance because you've made a modification. Its in your contract with the insurance company.

Suggest you read it.

The BMW upgrades may not affect the Hilltop firmware - however that is not the question I asked - I asked if BMW upgraded their software would those changes actually be implemented or would the Hilltop code ignore those changes?

You need to tell your insurance because you've made a modification. Its in your contract with the insurance company.

Suggest you read it.

If you read some of the other threads/posts then nothing that BMW has set up has been modified.

Bloody hell, I should have keep my mouth shut!! Looks like you cant be pleased about having a wee mod done to your bike and a bit of fun into the bargain. As to the insurance whats to tell them, my bike is still under the manufactures figure and according to most people what has been done to it doesn,t work anyway!! Do I have tyo tell them about the sheepskin cover?

If you read some of the other threads/posts then nothing that BMW has set up has been modified.
Its not me you have to convince, it'll be your insurance company when they refuse to pay out for the damage to your awesome steed.

Or worse, the judge deciding an attachment of earnings for 40% of your salary for the rest of your life because someone was unable to work after your uninsured accident.

Your call, obviously.

Bloody hell, I should have keep my mouth shut!! Looks like you cant be pleased about having a wee mod done to your bike and a bit of fun into the bargain. As to the insurance whats to tell them, my bike is still under the manufactures figure and according to most people what has been done to it doesn,t work anyway!! Do I have tyo tell them about the sheepskin cover?

You will find the comment stemmed from the amount of time it's been discussed in here with numerous threads. Search Hilltop then you will get the idea.

If the bike has been modified and a change to the engine management software is clearly a modification then you must tell the insurance company otherwise you are in breach of the contract that you agreed with them - it’s unequivocal.

Ok I surrender! I only said I liked the results.

For me yes, if you ride with a bit of pace it works very well. I use the bike a lot around town and to be honest its slow speed behaviour is not as good as my 180k 1150gs, however it looks like this may be sorted. Will be using it all week so will get 25hrs town riding in and report back.

If the bike has been modified and a change to the engine management software is clearly a modification then you must tell the insurance company otherwise you are in breach of the contract that you agreed with them - it’s unequivocal.

As you say and as I said.

Back
Top Bottom