Hilltop

The BMW upgrades may not affect the Hilltop firmware - however that is not the question I asked - I asked if BMW upgraded their software would those changes actually be implemented or would the Hilltop code ignore those changes?

Again , the installed magic is in an unused part of the ECU inner galaxy . this is used to control the fuel / air side of the ecu , as this overrides the bmw fuel and corrects the issues and get the bike to run as it should , so any future up grades on this part of the workings will always stay as it was (hilltoped ) other upgrades to the system will of course be upgraded as they have not been modified. Now if its firmware / tuppaware or software I'm not sure:nenau:thumby::thumby::thumb To add I'm sure the whole upgrade is accepted but the Hilltop bit overrides the fuely bit ( or have i said that already )

If the bike has been modified and a change to the engine management software is clearly a modification then you must tell the insurance company otherwise you are in breach of the contract that you agreed with them - it’s unequivocal.

Just a quick question with regard to the modification issue , if bmw do a ECU upgrade / change to the ecu do we need to tell our insurance as well .

If the bike has been modified and a change to the engine management software is clearly a modification then you must tell the insurance company otherwise you are in breach of the contract that you agreed with them - it’s unequivocal.

I don't doubt your statement that it is a requirement to tell the insurer of any mods but in the event of a claim arising from a theft how would the insurance company ever find out? What about in the case of a collision claim? Are you saying the insurance assessor who looks at the damage will test the engine management system to confirm it is factory standard? I suspect not so I say again, how do you think anyone will find out

Okay so it does not exist so you still need to tell them , why ?

If you end up killing someone in an accident, the insurance company will go over your bike with a fine tooth comb. Is it worth losing everything for the sake of not declaring this modification? I’ve never had an insurance company increase my premium due to a Hilltop upgrade. ;)

I don't doubt your statement that it is a requirement to tell the insurer of any mods but in the event of a claim arising from a theft how would the insurance company ever find out? What about in the case of a collision claim? Are you saying the insurance assessor who looks at the damage will test the engine management system to confirm it is factory standard? I suspect not so I say again, how do you think anyone will find out
If your bike was stolen the insurance company probably wouldn't be looking for performance-enhancing modifications. They might look for the presence of an alarm or other security device if you told them it had one. There have been any number of cases where the insurance has failed to pay out when people's bikes were taken outside their garage when their policy required them to be garaged.

On the other hand, imagine a circumstance where someone gets disabled in an accident where you were going quickly. The insurance company faces a loss in the millions or more. We've been demanding cheap insurance you years and we got it. One of the ways they give it to us is by wheedling themselves out of paying claims. Under these circumstances the insurance company might think it worth going over your bike with a fine tooth comb. If they find your Hilltop mod you could end up paying out a very large chunk of your income for the rest of your life.

Question is, are you feeling lucky Bikermate?

That ^^^^^. I was involved in a Coroner’s Court hearing into a fatality (first witness on scene). The victim’s and perpetrator’s vehicles were both examined in forensic detail. As were the drivers’ attitudes to speed, which included at least one tweet and one quote from a forum like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Again , the installed magic is in an unused part of the ECU inner galaxy . this is used to control the fuel / air side of the ecu , as this overrides the bmw fuel and corrects the issues and get the bike to run as it should , so any future up grades on this part of the workings will always stay as it was (hilltoped ) other upgrades to the system will of course be upgraded as they have not been modified. Now if its firmware / tuppaware or software I'm not sure:nenau:thumby::thumby::thumb To add I'm sure the whole upgrade is accepted but the Hilltop bit overrides the fuely bit ( or have i said that already )

That’s what I thought, any BMW upgrade to the fuel air system will be ignored on a Hilltopped bike.

What do you do if you buy a bike and its been done already... And maybe you don't know?

What do you do if you buy a bike and its been done already... And maybe you don't know?
Indeed, get clever with the insurance company when there a millions riding on it.

Sure to go well.:rolleyes:

Had mine done on Saturday after getting the decat headers fitted a couple of weeks ago.

The guys there are very knowledgable and the actual process only took about half an hour. I didn't have the dyno runs as the bike is on semi-knobbly tyres.

So far I am very pleased with the results, and the ride home (in the sunshine) was a lot of fun!! :thumb2

Surely the modification would have to be directly or proportional as to the cause of the incident.

The bike will never produce more than 125bhp. If your bike has standard headers I doubt very much they will check any ECU software. It is no different to tuning a carburetor fuel fed engine.

As regards to whether BMW or Hilltop have supplied a different map in my opinion is not relevant. BMW do not supply my tyres, or oil, or petrol.

Surely the modification would have to be directly or proportional as to the cause of the incident.

The bike will never produce more than 125bhp. If your bike has standard headers I doubt very much they will check any ECU software. It is no different to tuning a carburetor fuel fed engine.

As regards to whether BMW or Hilltop have supplied a different map in my opinion is not relevant. BMW do not supply my tyres, or oil, or petrol.
Having seen first hand the lengths insurance companies will go to in fatal accidents leaving no stone unturned to avoid huge payouts I would say how lucky do you feel?
If it all goes seriously Pete Tong you will likely be thoroughly investigated
May be better to declare the mod as Nutty has.
You takes your chance !

Its not me you have to convince, it'll be your insurance company when they refuse to pay out for the damage to your awesome steed.

Or worse, the judge deciding an attachment of earnings for 40% of your salary for the rest of your life because someone was unable to work after your uninsured accident.

Your call, obviously.

:nenau :nenau :nenau

Don’t Hilltop claim the software is invisible?

On Hilltop’s website I found this;

4. Our software is invisible and cannot be seen by your dealer or anyone else, so your warranty will not be affected.

Nothing. If a forensic investigator gets so far as to find the remap, they’ll see when it was done, so if was before you bought the bike, you’d have noting to worry about.

The question the insurance company ask is "Have you made any changes" not the previous owner......
If you think you can outsmart an insurance company with essentially infinitely deep pockets to pay for lawyers and investigators in a bid to avoid a multi-million payout, then good luck to you.

Don’t Hilltop claim the software is invisible?

On Hilltop’s website I found this;

4. Our software is invisible and cannot be seen by your dealer or anyone else, so your warranty will not be affected.
How well do you cover your tracks ??? Financially on social media etc .Talking modification not warranty.

Back
Top Bottom