Front tyre neurosis!

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
11 months and circa 8000 miles ago I had a set of Metzeller tourance Next tyres fitted to my bike. The rear was then replaced 2000 miles ago.

I was hoping to complete a forthcoming trip in Europe (2000 miles) before binning them and changing to the heidenaus I have waiting for my Alaska trip.

I have a new set od Tourance Next sitting waiting in the garage (I likes ‘em).

Anyway, on a mostly dry 180 route around Scotland yesterday, I noticed the front was tracking road imperfections. Then, a couple of miles from home, I rode through some water with the bike upright and the front end went very squirelly for a moment.

Although the front has plenty of tread left, the sipes are pretty heavilly scalloped.

It feels like a bit of a waste but I’m thinking I might change the front tyre before my Europe trip.

What does the assembled cogniscenti advise?

You dont really want that playing on your mind do you..? And surely 8000 miles is good anyway? Is it???

Excellent!!
I also love those tyres too and so happy my GS came with them and not the Anakee's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shakes, for your info me and my son have used these tyres for many miles and always been happy with them and every set has lasted well. Latest set on his bike only done 2000 miles and front cupped badly and starting to lose shape like yours did. Must be a bad batch and you were sensible to change them off as not worth risking

There's a saying in sailing "if you're wondering whether you should put a reef in, you already should have". I think the same probably goes for bike tyres.

There's a saying in sailing "if you're wondering whether you should put a reef in, you already should have". I think the same probably goes for bike tyres.

Now I quite like that saying, at the end of the day brakes and tyres no messing around. :rob

Back
Top Bottom