1090 or 1290T?

Matty589

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I fancy a KTM, and having test ridden a 1090 which I liked a lot (another test ride beckons later this week), I’ve noticed a couple of very low mileage 1290 Super Adventure T’s for around the same price. This is attractive as it has electronic suspension, tyre pressure control, cruise control and a big 30L tank it also seems to be nearly the same seat height and wet weight less than a 1200Gs. I have ridden one a couple of year ago and it felt good, if a touch tall, but I didn’t get the chance to open it up. What do you guys think - is it better to go for a brand new 1090 as my first KTM or take a punt on the 1290?

1290 SA-T is a good bike - loads of torque, laugh out loud performance, very comfy and good range. I didn’t get on with the screen, and found the ancillaries not to be as good quality or well integrated as the BMW. Suspension works really well, but cruise control is rudimentary at best. Not tried a 1090 but they’re as close to the old 950/990 principle as you can get now I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ride a 1190R..........

If I were going for a new R I'd go for the 1090 as it's simpler and lighter than the 1290.

In your case, if it were me, I'd be torn by the 1090 'cos of it's manual suspension and simplicity (I'm no fan of the electronic stuff) and the 1290 'cos of it's engine. Given you like the electronic suspension then I guess the full fat 1290 is the one to go for :nenau

Andres

The reason I ask about the 1090 is that it didn’t seem to matter that it was missing the electronic fripperies and there’s something pure about riding it - well set-up manual suspension. Having had loads of issues with used bikes a brand new bike is attractive. How well do they stand up to use? If they’re not cared for do they get tatty quickly like BMWs (well, the used ones I’ve bought :rolleyes:)?

I don’t know about the 1090 but my 1190 stood up well to the abuse I gave it as in I probably cleaned it every 6 months and took it around Eastern Europe on two 4K mile trips with the only problem being a holed radiator which would have been avoided if I’d thought to fit a radiator protector.

No paint chips, no visible corrosion and I think I adjusted the chain twice in 12k miles though the Scottoiler obviously helped quite a bit.

I ride a 1190R..........

If I were going for a new R I'd go for the 1090 as it's simpler and lighter than the 1290.

In your case, if it were me, I'd be torn by the 1090 'cos of it's manual suspension and simplicity (I'm no fan of the electronic stuff) and the 1290 'cos of it's engine. Given you like the electronic suspension then I guess the full fat 1290 is the one to go for :nenau

Andres

+1

I have an 1190 and a 1090, I did not like the semi-active suspension on the 1290S I tried (Liked the BMW semi-active even less) and do not want a keyless ride and I-Pad instead of speedo (just too much stuff to go wrong IMO)

The 1190 is a great fit in the middle, the only things I preferred on the 1290 was the cruise control and improved low-down torque.

The 1090 feels very flat in the mid range compared to the 1190, if your thinking used 1290T instead of 1090 maybe have a look around for a clean late model 1190 as well, the 1290T is just too bulky for my liking, but if you are happy with the extra bulk / weight then why not?

If you are happy with the 1090 performance and plan to keep the bike I think they are good value, just a shame KTM think people will splash another £5k to get cruise control, I am more likely to just buy a 1090 competitor that has this in future.

They also skimp on centrestand (£160) and power socket (£7) so try and get them fitted in the deal if you can.

I don’t know about the 1090 but my 1190 stood up well to the abuse I gave it as in I probably cleaned it every 6 months and took it around Eastern Europe on two 4K mile trips with the only problem being a holed radiator which would have been avoided if I’d thought to fit a radiator protector.

No paint chips, no visible corrosion and I think I adjusted the chain twice in 12k miles though the Scottoiler obviously helped quite a bit.

Yeah, ditto ~ the finish and quality of components on my 1190 are cock on.
Mines a 2014, gets ridden all year round and used for commuting all year round. She gets a very quick hose down a couple of times a week in the winter and sprayed with that Scotoiler anti corrosion stuff after the hose down.
Other than that she only gets a 'proper' clean twice a year or so.

Still on the original chain with loads of life left and the only corrosion I've found is surface stuff on the disc bobbins that polishes off and the cap head pinch bolts recessed into the bottom of the front forks (hardly surprising really).

Andres

Thanks a lot guys. Sounds like it’s as well-made as it looks. I’ll have a look for some late model 1190s too.

I went from 1290T to the 1090R, no regrets here despite the drop in performance, but can feel the lure of the 1290R, just cos. Much prefer the 1090R suspension too and don’t miss the weight of the fully fuelled T (but you can cover big distance with the 30l tank). Depends what boxes you are ticking I guess.

i love my 1290 T and you can get some cracking deals on them at the moment . i didnt want the i pad screen and keyless that was just one of the reasons for me choosing that model over the R or S . but there all lovly bikes .

Hi Matty

Only issue with the 1290 T is spoke wheels, got to look after them, the spokes can come loose and then leak air. Every tyre change they need checking aim told.?

Great bike but heavy. 1090 0r 1290 better machine. I

Never had a loose spoke, which aren't part of the seal anyway. The only air I've lost is via a puncture or the TPM sensor coming loose.

Hi Matty

Only issue with the 1290 T is spoke wheels, got to look after them, the spokes can come loose and then leak air. Every tyre change they need checking aim told.?

I've never seen that but I have witnessed the rim band has come adrift and caused leakage past the spokes

Last Saturday I saw a Husky 701 with a flat rear tyre in which the rim band had folded in half inside the tyre :eek:

Refitted with plenty of tyre lube and all was well :thumb2

Different bike but I never had a problem with loose spokes or leaking seals on my 1190 and I probably put about 6k miles onto that on roads with a very bad surface in Eastern Europe.

Back
Top Bottom