R1150 System panniers - alternatives

Myles Tagoyet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good morning folks,

I wonder if the collective have any viable suggestions for an alternative to the "black wheelie bins" system panniers?

I have a 52 plate R1150RT and am looking for something suitable.

Polite suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

On an RT?

You can fit alloy boxes, if you fab the mounts to fit a RT

BMW System panniers do a good job, I prefer them

The problem is the system panniers are contoured with the side panels on the RT.

I'm not sure aftermarket panniers would look good, the RT only looks right when the panniers are on.

As JB says some pannier hoops based on the GS ones could be fabricated then you could use metal mule, vern's world beater, stahlkoffer or anyones.

Thanks for the replies, I did think that it may be the case that the system ones were the best and right option.....

I agree the bike looks wrong without them on - I find them a little inflexible sometimes, owing to the moulding - but then again, that is was makes them right for the bike

I was just hoping that there was something else, but suspect I will stick with them, thanks again for the replies.

Hi Myles.
It is interesting that you don't like the look of the OEM panniers on the RT. If it were a GS, I could understand.
I do believe you can get hold of Hepco & Becker, maybe even GIVI but what impresses me about the standard system cases is how handsome they are. How well they integrate onto the bike and match the lines so well. They are amazingly robust too. I can't think of any aftermarket panniers that have anywhere near as much style or integration. They all 'hang out' because they have to fit all different bikes.

Thanks for the replies, I did think that it may be the case that the system ones were the best and right option.....

I agree the bike looks wrong without them on - I find them a little inflexible sometimes, owing to the moulding - but then again, that is was makes them right for the bike

I was just hoping that there was something else, but suspect I will stick with them, thanks again for the replies.

Are you aware you can get 'Global' lids for the panniers, which will significantly increase their capacity? Part Numbers 71 60 7 652 735 & 71 60 7 652 736

normally it is work related items, laptop etc, some sports kit, a a jacket, some shoes - a change of clothes for the evening.

Back
Top Bottom