Oil Chg...

runninn

Reaction score
New GS1100 to me....66,000 miles. I have had other BMW's since mid-80's. Anyways, what type of oil & frequency do you recommend for oil changes?

thanks

It may be worth doing a search within the Oilhead section to get some views and answers.

Alternatively, some kind soul will be along soon to advise. :thumby:

There’s a lot of information on here and some is conflicting. The engine and design of your bike is not built to take advantage of the latest high fully synthetic oils. Just read up on the advice on here and get some local advice even from the person you bought the bike from. You don’t need bike specific oil just a good car oil. Good luck. JJH

New GS1100 to me....66,000 miles. I have had other BMW's since mid-80's. Anyways, what type of oil & frequency do you recommend for oil changes?

thanks
This is a bit like, don't mention the war...

The discussions about oil would try the patience of Job.

Anyhow, a decent mineral oil, of correct spec will suffice, iirc 20/50.

Don't waste money on synthetic stuff, your engine will not thank you.

Better to spend it on quality oil filters, it depends style/type of riding; commuting a lot and bimbling about every 3k as the combustion acids aren't really burnt off, if it is nsl and getting worked most days, every 6k.

Best option, oil/filter cheaper than replacement engine.

Don't ask about tyres, no really don't ask....

Welcome.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have just changed mine for the first time since buying the bike. What came out was very dark! (My bike is an R1150 GSA).

I used Silkolene Super 4 10W-40 Semi-Synthetic with a K&N oil filter. This seemed to be a good recommended option. Tell me if I have done wrong?

I believe the workshop manual recommends every 6K miles. I would very much agree that more frequently is good and best practice.

Michael

Last edited:

thanks

I'm newish here too

I've googled and searched before getting ridiculed for asking a "silly" question.

seems to me the most popular way of thinking

20/50 mineral oil in engine
GL5 in the diff
80/90 gear oil in the gearbox

all supposed to be 12000 miles interval but its all cheap stuff so every 6000 ish would be nice

mahle seem to make the oem stuff for bmw and is a fraction the cost
air filter is LX578

oil filter is:

Attachments

• oil filter.png
    oil filter.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 363
all supposed to be 12000 miles interval but its all cheap stuff so every 6000 ish would be nice

Engine oil should be 6k iirc, but yeah, gearbox oil is so cheap there's no reason not to do that every 6k as well.

Engine oil should be 6k iirc, but yeah, gearbox oil is so cheap there's no reason not to do that every 6k as well.
For all it costs, do the gearbox and fd at same time as oil/filter. I used to do plugs, another £10, and oil/ clean K&N. Also lube the cable's makes it feel far nicer.

If, you average it out, it's what, another £4 per month if you do it at 3k.

For all it costs, do the gearbox and fd at same time as oil/filter. I used to do plugs, another £10, and oil/ clean K&N. Also lube the cable's makes it feel far nicer.

If, you average it out, it's what, another £4 per month if you do it at 3k.

Aye exactly and it takes about 5 minutes to drain/fill the FD and Gearbox. Been buying 5L at a time anyway for next to nothing so it's really a no brainer.

thanks

Genuine BMW filter and Putoline 20/50 semi for me; changed at 6,000 mls if you do distance; or 3,000 mls for short hops. :thumb2

R1150GS data. R1100GS is the same AFAIK.
As mentioned - the oil spec is important. "Classic" 20W50 isn't good enough.

I don't feel it's necessary to change the oil more frequently than every 6k miles. Maybe in harsh conditions. But I do change the filter each oil change.
I use 80/90 gear oil in the box and final drive. FD oil changed every ~6k miles too; to which I credit the 95k mile life of the FD bearing. Any metallic swarf or a grey oil colour indicated bearing failure.

Attachments

• R1150gs oil data.jpg
    R1150gs oil data.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 347
R1150GS data. R1100GS is the same AFAIK.
As mentioned - the oil spec is important. "Classic" 20W50 isn't good enough.

I don't feel it's necessary to change the oil more frequently than every 6k miles. Maybe in harsh conditions. But I do change the filter each oil change.
I use 80/90 gear oil in the box and final drive. FD oil changed every ~6k miles too; to which I credit the 95k mile life of the FD bearing. Any metallic swarf or a grey oil colour indicated bearing failure.

A little confused why classic 20/50 is not good enough?
I use a classic which has an API SF/CD Spec. Am I doing wrong ?
(Genuine question by the way, as can't see a grade on your chart ����)

A little confused why classic 20/50 is not good enough?
I use a classic which has an API SF/CD Spec. Am I doing wrong ?
(Genuine question by the way, as can't see a grade on your chart ����)
As long as the oil is to the correct api spec, it doesn't matter; classic, semi, fully synthetic or f*cking baby oil.

An air cooled engine, (which they all technically are) runs wider clearances and a heavier viscosity will be better than a lighter one. It is due to extended life cycles, for cars, that 0w30 and the like became the norm.

Personally, I'd use a high quality mineral oil, over a supermarket semi-synthetic any day.

But that's me and I'm funny, not in a haha way either.

Back
Top Bottom