Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
£200! How did you persuade Geoff to do it for almost half price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£100 discount for being a repeat offender
£50 discount for no Dyno run (Dct cannot go on Dyno)

£200 well spent

Had my 15 plate LC done in March, the bike is used every day as a work horse. The bike is just better, fuel consumption is the same but more go all round especially from 5k. Ran up there with a 1200 Triumph XC the performance was similar except Triumph had legs at higher speed. Minutes after the work the BMW was better everywhere in comparison, either what they do works or my tea was drugged!

After reading all 16 pages of this thread.... I am still none-the-wiser as to whether to get my bike hilltopped or not :blast

After reading all 16 pages of this thread.... I am still none-the-wiser as to whether to get my bike hilltopped or not :blast
If, you can find someone local to you with a similar bike; see if you can try there's.

It does make a difference, you can pull a higher gear than normal, the hole around 4k is filled in and it feels nicer.

Ignore the extra power bit.

There are several different ways of "fixing" the bike to run nicer.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If, you can find someone local to you with a similar bike; see if you can try there's.

It does make a difference, you can pull a higher gear than normal, the hole around 4k is filled in and it feels nicer.

Ignore the extra power bit.

There are several different ways of "fixing" the bike to run nicer.

I'm in Northern Ireland, there is a HT installer bout 3 hours away without a Dyno.

I'm looking for a bit more poke and mid range... I haven't really come across many other ways of improving performance.

Was considering decat as well.

I'm getting fed up of reading endless pages of squabbling so I think I'm just going to get it done :D

Decat works, and in my opinion money better spent than on an end can.

I have decat and akra, without baffle, and certainly noticed better flexibility and smoothness on run back to Edinburgh 300m compared to way down and 4 mpg better too.

Subjectively, it has improved the sound/emissions drop around 3•5/4K; 2 up and fully laden it feels easier to ride.

Could I be fooling myself, into justifying the money spend.

Possibly, none of us like to feel stupid.

As an Engineer, I am professionally supposed to be objective in my approach, and consider all variables.

Yes, there are other ways of making your bike run nicer, as I haven't tried them out, I am no position to comment on them.

I can say, I am happier with how my bike performs now after being set up by HT than before.

Iirc he also offers a money back guarantee too.

Decat works, and in my opinion money better spent than on an end can.

I have decat and akra, without baffle, and certainly noticed better flexibility and smoothness on run back to Edinburgh 300m compared to way down and 4 mpg better too.

Subjectively, it has improved the sound/emissions drop around 3•5/4K; 2 up and fully laden it feels easier to ride.

Could I be fooling myself, into justifying the money spend.

Possibly, none of us like to feel stupid.

As an Engineer, I am professionally supposed to be objective in my approach, and consider all variables.

Yes, there are other ways of making your bike run nicer, as I haven't tried them out, I am no position to comment on them.

I can say, I am happier with how my bike performs now after being set up by HT than before.

Iirc he also offers a money back guarantee too.

Sounds good, what headers did you go for? I would imagine the various aftermarket decat headers are much the same?

Yeh I was told by one of the lads at HT that the can doesn't make much of a difference on the GS.

I would like a slightly fruitier sound so will probably get one. I like the look of the SC Project Adv can.

From memory, stainless steel headers from nippy Normans, they were on offer. I could have gone for titanium, but put the saving towards the titanium end can instead. I doubt the difference between the ss and ti headers is much, if any, performance wise.

End can well, a couple of bhp at best although bike does run differently with baffle in/out.

I am happy to acknowledge there are other options/choices, just that I have not used them.

Don't bother mate. Keep your money in my opinion

Even if it’s snake oil and you only think it’s better then it’s still worth it as your happier with your bike.
If you can afford to drop 350 or so on a minor tweak on a bike that’s already very expensive then go ahead. If you think it did nothing I believe you can get a refund.
I haven’t had it done and have never had an engine issue due to being overly lean from the factory.

I'm in Northern Ireland, there is a HT installer bout 3 hours away without a Dyno.

I'm looking for a bit more poke and mid range... I haven't really come across many other ways of improving performance.

Was considering decat as well.

I'm getting fed up of reading endless pages of squabbling so I think I'm just going to get it done :D

You can send your ECU to Hilltop and they will load the map for you. I was under the impression the ECU was altered to go with that bikes' particular setup but it's the same tweak whether you're running a completely standard bike or have decatted pipes and open end can. If I'd known that I could have saved a 400 mile round trip.

Hi, Im in Dublin, sent my ECU to HT - came back and is I can't get over how better the bike feels, used to commute in Dublin, it is much smoother, on the open road, open it up and it is simply pulls much harder throughout the rev range, right the way to max. The best way I can describe the feeling is that it makes the throttle feel like it is now connected to the engine, I always thought the fly by wire felt disconnected form the engine and found it odd to get used to.

If you believe that a few lines of code will give your 1200 LC 16 hp more while 84 cc more displacement and 2 optimized intake cam-lobes for low/high rpm will give you only 11 hp then it is definitely worth it !
Otherwise I would save my money and get a new 1250...;)
But I will admit to say that the E-4 boxers had less power/torque in the mid-range compared to the pre-2017 ones.A year later BMW came out with a new map and problem solved...

If you believe that a few lines of code will give your 1200 LC 16 hp more while 84 cc more displacement and 2 optimized intake cam-lobes for low/high rpm will give you only 11 hp then it is definitely worth it !
Otherwise I would save my money and get a new 1250...;)
But I will admit to say that the E-4 boxers had less power/torque in the mid-range compared to the pre-2017 ones.A year later BMW came out with a new map and problem solved...

Good plan, Einstein. Spend 10k to change bikes, to save £250. :thumb :blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom