Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your bike was not running at 40:1. Someone wasn’t using the dyno properly. At Hilltop? Surely not?!!

I don’t believe for 1 second that it was 40:1 whilst fuel was being fed in under load and accelerating hard - just so much bollox about this stuff and soooo much obfuscation by the high priests so they can keep their ‘art’ mysterious and make a quick buck.

I don’t believe for 1 second that it was 40:1 whilst fuel was being fed in under load and accelerating hard - just so much bollox about this stuff and soooo much obfuscation by the high priests so they can keep their ‘art’ mysterious and make a quick buck.
Actually, as I have the original dyno and ftar, and am more than capable of reading a graph, the figure does indeed show 40:1, it was not underload.

But hey you were all there and seeing what was happening. Shame you fucked off when the bill was due.

There is subjective and objective observation, but as a Ceng what do I know ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Fred it works for me, had it dyno run since , same result, pulls better and smoother and increased economy,
The guy makes money doing it and bikers continue to go there, i would take another bike there if i changed,
mates have ridden mine and commented on the power delivery, compared to standard,
Roamer

Actually, as I have the original dyno and ftar, and am more than capable of reading a graph, the figure does indeed show 40:1, it was not underload.

But hey you were all there and seeing what was happening. Shame you fucked off when the bill was due.

There is subjective and objective observation, but as a Ceng what do I know ?

I am sure there are conditions when 40:1 is just fine, so just stating 40:1 without stating the conditions is utterly misleading, CEng or not, you should know that.

I am sure there are conditions when 40:1 is just fine, so just stating 40:1 without stating the conditions is utterly misleading, CEng or not, you should know that.
True, and others lept before they looked. We all err at times.

The graphs are objective data, and I too was surprised at the ftar, and why the valves were still there !

Subjectively, it does seem that these engines run very lean, mostly to pass emmisions/sound tests, also it was found that there was a K&N filter fitted which along with the other mods, may have further impact. Again that's only my observation, but after 40+ years of playing about with different engines and a reasonable comment.

There are lots of different ways to "improve" these engines, some work better than other's. One researches what is available and then hopefully make an informed choice.

Or you just go shiny, shiny bling: want it.

True, and others lept before they looked. We all err at times.

The graphs are objective data, and I too was surprised at the ftar, and why the valves were still there !

Subjectively, it does seem that these engines run very lean, mostly to pass emmisions/sound tests, also it was found that there was a K&N filter fitted which along with the other mods, may have further impact. Again that's only my observation, but after 40+ years of playing about with different engines and a reasonable comment.

There are lots of different ways to "improve" these engines, some work better than other's. One researches what is available and then hopefully make an informed choice.

Or you just go shiny, shiny bling: want it.

:) I agree, it is always a complex compromise as with any engineering - manufacturers have constraints within which they must work, they are many: safety, reliability, economy, emissions, wide operating range of temperature, altitude, rideability, variable fuel quality etc, etc.

‘Tuners’ ignore some or most of these constraints, simplfy the message they give out to appeal to their target audience so they can make money BUT when quizzed about the compromises they have made they often become very coy because they want to keep quiet about the possible downsides - some of which may be in the grey area between what’s legal and what isn’t.

P.S. how accurate is the ratio measurement at all rpm? How’s is it made? The graphs are objective data but unless all of the conditions are specified they become meaningless.

:) I agree, it is always a complex compromise as with any engineering - manufacturers have constraints within which they must work, they are many: safety, reliability, economy, emissions, wide operating range of temperature, altitude, rideability, variable fuel quality etc, etc.

‘Tuners’ ignore some or most of these constraints, simplfy the message they give out to appeal to their target audience so they can make money BUT when quizzed about the compromises they have made they often become very coy because they want to keep quiet about the possible downsides - some of which may be in the grey area between what’s legal and what isn’t.

P.S. how accurate is the ratio measurement at all rpm? How’s is it made? The graphs are objective data but unless all of the conditions are specified they become meaningless.
A true generalisation; now a days it seems that marketing and accounts run the companies.

Yet most were originally started by engineers and the like.

Everything is a cost/risk balance and has to work on the lowest common denomination.

I well remember this phrase from my grandfather, a civil and mining engineer.

An engineer builds for sixpence what a fool know takes a shilling to make.

What’s wrong with your fuelling? my 2018 Rallye TE is fine in that respect - I’m on my 5th 1200 since 2005, never had an issue with ‘fueling’ on any of them
You don't know better.

The future is whatever colour you want.

Look thro previous posts on here as i have posted results , on my GS ( 3 in total) also i have had my 1200s Ducati done as well and yes it does make a difference , you sound like a bit of an armchair commentator to me ... man up yourself take the Hilltop challenge , pay for the tune and if you don't like it Geoff will give you your money back. You will find your own answer to the comments you posted. Put you money where your mouth and typing fingers are FFS .
Also i ride shit loads and also polish the shit out of my bike as i love it.

Good for you. Long may you have the health to continue.

You don't know better.

The future is whatever colour you want.

My 2018 GS is the best fuelling of the 1200s so far, better at low revs than all of the previous ones - on the other hand my Thruxton R is not very good in this area - didn’t someone say that Hilltop had some input in the fuelling set up of the Triumph twins?????

I'm surely not the only one who's noticed the parallels between the Hilltop debate and alternative medicine?

All the components are there; a guru, acolytes, a lack of evidence, subjects who want it to work, a solution in search of a problem, ill-defined end points, the exchange of monetary reward - all the elements for a strong placebo effect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely agnostic on whether Hilltop works or not, but the parallels are compelling.

A true generalisation; now a days it seems that marketing and accounts run the companies.

Yet most were originally started by engineers and the like.

Everything is a cost/risk balance and has to work on the lowest common denomination.

I well remember this phrase from my grandfather, a civil and mining engineer.

An engineer builds for sixpence what a fool know takes a shilling to make.

Luckily we are still owned and run by engineers and their say still trumps all the rest, however as we grow and take on more people who have come from less focussed organisations the nonsense is beginning to creep in.

I'm surely not the only one who's noticed the parallels between the Hilltop debate and alternative medicine?

All the components are there; a guru, acolytes, a lack of evidence, subjects who want it to work, a solution in search of a problem, ill-defined end points, the exchange of monetary reward - all the elements for a strong placebo effect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely agnostic on whether Hilltop works or not, but the parallels are compelling.

You are not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom