Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waste of money and that’s based on a friend who has had several bikes ‘Hill Topped’ and reflecting on this, really wished he hadn’t bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waste of money and that’s based on a friend who has had several bikes ‘Hill Topped’ and reflecting on this, really wished he hadn’t bothered.

Wow! Everyone should bring something to a technical discussion.

I think we'll put you in charge of .............................. sandwiches.:blast

Sent from my iPhone using Wankatalk

So, let me get this straight..................

Your friend had a bike which he took to Hilltop for them to work their magic on.

He wasn't happy with the result.

He then had another bike which he took to Hilltop for them to work their magic on.

He then had another bike which he took to Hilltop for them to work their magic on.

This was repeated for 'several' bikes.

Interesting 'friend' you have there :)

Andres

Hilltop - is it worth it ?

That is a good question I asked myself BEFORE I had the factory SW-update done to my 3/2017 EU-4 GS-ADV.Now my bike runs better/faster than even a 2014 light crank EU-3 GS.That answers the question for me.The bike runs perfect now and feels like 125hp:thumby:
What makes me wonder about Hilltop though that they are really not straightforward and say what they do and that no BMW only tuner has accomplished what they offer - a ECU reflash.As also that BMW service computer can't recognize the altered map and that later tuning like going to a catless header and or slip-on does not need reprogramming.How does that work as open loop/higher rpm does not rely on sensors but is pre-programmed/map only ?
An older aircooled boxer or any other bike I have no problem but the LC-boxers I would be very careful about the claims...
With fuel programming you get maybe 5 hp/lb max.But like I said there is nothing to improve on the updated map straight out of Berlin or Munich...:thumby:

So, let me get this straight..................

Your friend had a bike which he took to Hilltop for them to work their magic on.

This was repeated for 'several' bikes.

Interesting 'friend' you have there :)

Andres

Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I could have been. This is a case of several different motorbikes chasing improved fuelling or top end power or mid-range torque etc etc.

As I said, reflecting on the various Hill Top experiences, his long term feeling was that he had spent a considerable sum of money for very little real return. Having ridden one of these motorcycles after dyno work, I honestly couldn’t tell any difference.

Maybe I’m just not as finely nuanced as some in detecting the post HT differences or maybe I can detect the whiff of bull better than some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surely not the only one who's noticed the parallels between the Hilltop debate and alternative medicine?

All the components are there; a guru, acolytes, a lack of evidence, subjects who want it to work, a solution in search of a problem, ill-defined end points, the exchange of monetary reward - all the elements for a strong placebo effect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely agnostic on whether Hilltop works or not, but the parallels are compelling.

The difference with hilltop is you can try it and if it does not fulfill the expectation (hype), you get your money back. Maybe not win win, certainly no losses.

The difference with hilltop is you can try it and if it does not fulfill the expectation (hype), you get your money back. Maybe not win win, certainly no losses.
Interesting point. But when we invest our hard-earned in something we are incentivised to belive it works. Its a well-know psychological phenomenon (whose name I forget for the moment) and is the basis for many a homeopathy business.

OK there's a money back guarantee, but people are often reluctant to claim on these, even where they have doubts about the efficiacy of the product. This might be because of embarrassment, but often because the 'guru' has formed a relationship with the client. I've never met anyone from HT, but I wouldn't mind guessing that the guy is affable, peruasive and charismatic.

It is well publicised that Geoff offers a money back guarantee.

However, if it were me and I had to make a round trip of maybe 400 miles or so, would I bother to reclaim £350? Nope, life's too short.

The guy who had his GS Hilltopped prior to me having my RT done told me he couldn't notice a difference. There are more out there who don't post on the subject.

For clarity, mine was better, it would pull a gear higher at almost any given speed and I was happy.

However, I will not be getting my LC done as I don't notice any holes in the mid range or chugging that I did on my SC.

True, and others lept before they looked. We all err at times.

The graphs are objective data, and I too was surprised at the ftar, and why the valves were still there !

Subjectively, it does seem that these engines run very lean, mostly to pass emmisions/sound tests, also it was found that there was a K&N filter fitted which along with the other mods, may have further impact. Again that's only my observation, but after 40+ years of playing about with different engines and a reasonable comment.

There are lots of different ways to "improve" these engines, some work better than other's. One researches what is available and then hopefully make an informed choice.

Or you just go shiny, shiny bling: want it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I just don’t get why anyone would try to demonstrate that a bike runs lean by producing a dyno graph showing afr not under load. Why not show afr on the overrun when fuel is cut - hey presto ‘000s:1. Up to 50% throttle afr will be 14.7:1 and above 50% virtually all bikes run rich so that there is no chance of burnt valves. Many run quite rich at ~4k rpm to help meet noise limits and this causes a dip in power seen at these revs.

You do, I hope, all realise that the OP started this thread as a wind up.........just as he did, in this section, re. the best tires to use.............

Andres

I just don’t get why anyone would try to demonstrate that a bike runs lean by producing a dyno graph showing afr not under load. Why not show afr on the overrun when fuel is cut - hey presto ‘000s:1. Up to 50% throttle afr will be 14.7:1 and above 50% virtually all bikes run rich so that there is no chance of burnt valves. Many run quite rich at ~4k rpm to help meet noise limits and this causes a dip in power seen at these revs.
What do you think it should be at 4k with no load ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Engineer. You have not had your bike done!
Therefore you can spoutcas much bollox as you want but you are not in a position to comment on its effectiveness of not.

My standard bike is being done soon and I will advise.

The bottom line at least a thousand plus bikes have been done and all apart from one or two have been happy. Then there is repeat custom.

Says it all. Stop being a biased uninitiated pratt

Good God we are all grown ups you either choose to spend your money at Hilltop or not.
Why does this topic always turn into a “my dick is bigger than yours “ session?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom