Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that’s what you’re doing.
Read it again without the rose tinted glasses, I accept there are other options.

My decision, relating to my bike, income/expenditure etc allowed me to choose HT.

Others circumstances relate to them and they make their choice, based upon that.

I suggest my position is different from yours.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Read it again without the rose tinted glasses, I accept there are other options.

My decision, relating to my bike, income/expenditure etc allowed me to choose HT.

Others circumstances relate to them and they make their choice, based upon that.

He's also a troll with an agenda.

Of his 16 posts on this site, 15 of them are on Hilltop threads. All of them slating Hilltop in one way or another.

Andres

He's also a troll with an agenda.

Of his 16 posts on this site, 15 of them are on Hilltop threads. All of them slating Hilltop in one way or another.

Andres
We all have an agenda, if we are honest; it is usually based around our experiences, good and bad.

Is a better than b; would you recommend; etc. The purpose of the forum is to help others and hopefully provide advice, often hard won, to others.

Taking the piss helps too.......

We all have an agenda, if we are honest; it is usually based around our experiences, good and bad.

Is a better than b; would you recommend; etc. The purpose of the forum is to help others and hopefully provide advice, often hard won, to others.

Taking the piss helps too.......

'aint that the truth :)

Andres

I was one of those 'kind enough' to post before and after dyno charts.

My 'before' chart did not show a ridiculously low reading on BHP or torque. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it pretty much mirrored that of charts available to view on the web of 'stock' outputs and was pretty much what I'd expect.

To say that all of Hilltop's 'before' runs posted up here show ridiculously low outputs is to slag off Hilltop by proxy. Why not link to the evidence?

My 'after' chart showed a healthy increase but nothing dramatic. Far more important was the smoother and fatter mid range curve. Both things that give a much nicer ride and could/still can be felt by 'the seat of my pants'.

Andres

That is correct, you kindly shared the dynocharts of your KTM in the thread: Re. Hilltop.

In post #100 you showed an "after" chart. Max hp 138, max trq: 90. trq at 3,5k: 75
In post #110 you showed a "before chart. Max hp 123, max trq 76 trq at 3,5K: 50, i.e 50% increase trq at 3,5K.

Then i searched the net and found a US bike (slightly detuned due to lower quality of the fuel in the US:)
Post #129: Max hp 135, max trq 89 and trq at 3,5K: 78.

As you can read from the numbers, the after chart is fairly similar to the detuned US-bike, and the before chart was lower. Much lower...

I totally agree that the process of adding a bit more fuel is hard to measure on the dyno. The gain in smoothness is hard to se on the dyno, but would be highly visible on a comparison of the AFR readings before/after.
I'll repeat my last line in my latest post, a comment on the low before readings: " I can not explain the low before-output, as it does not make sense."

@Tractors are go.
Take it easy, it's not like I have screwed your dog, nor have I ever said what others should do with their money. I mentioned that Hilltop them selves tone down the power part and emphasize the drivability part. Lower your puls and read the post again. And I will not oblige to your request at the end of the post.

My point of the post was to try to explain how there are physical limits to what you may expect of improvements to an engine as long as you only ad fuel, but I guess that the lack of curse-words made it too difficult to comprehend for some of the members.

That is correct, you kindly shared the dynocharts of your KTM in the thread: Re. Hilltop.

In post #100 you showed an "after" chart. Max hp 138, max trq: 90. trq at 3,5k: 75
In post #110 you showed a "before chart. Max hp 123, max trq 76 trq at 3,5K: 50, i.e 50% increase trq at 3,5K.

Then i searched the net and found a US bike (slightly detuned due to lower quality of the fuel in the US:)
Post #129: Max hp 135, max trq 89 and trq at 3,5K: 78.

As you can read from the numbers, the after chart is fairly similar to the detuned US-bike, and the before chart was lower. Much lower...

I totally agree that the process of adding a bit more fuel is hard to measure on the dyno. The gain in smoothness is hard to se on the dyno, but would be highly visible on a comparison of the AFR readings before/after.
I'll repeat my last line in my latest post, a comment on the low before readings: " I can not explain the low before-output, as it does not make sense."

@Tractors are go.
Take it easy, it's not like I have screwed your dog, nor have I ever said what others should do with their money. I mentioned that Hilltop them selves tone down the power part and emphasize the drivability part. Lower your puls and read the post again. And I will not oblige to your request at the end of the post.

My point of the post was to try to explain how there are physical limits to what you may expect of improvements to an engine as long as you only ad fuel, but I guess that the lack of curse-words made it too difficult to comprehend for some of the members.
My comments, at the end, were not aimed at you...

We base our purchasing choices on our individual circumstances. To me of far more importance is the difference in pick up, smoothness and overall flexibility that getting it set up by HT gave; could another dyno operator get it running as well ?

Possibly.

But then if I'm really wanting to use power, I take the rr for a spin.

Allow me to disagree to that statement.

The LC engine was launched with the 2013 models, and compared to the competitors, it is the newest engine. (I might be wrong, but as I understand it, Ducati, Ktm, and Thriuph newest engines are based on modified older engines).

True, the engine would benefit from a richer mixture, but BMW as well as any other manufacturer are restricted by legislation. They keep improving within the boundery set upon them and I understand that the latest versions of software the engine performs fairly well.

Even so, a bit of richer mixture would still make a sweeter running engine, and that's where 3-part mods enters the arena.
Hilltop is one of them, AF-XIED is another option.

Most of the claims regarding the improvements are actually made by the owner of the bikes. Hilltop them selves are fairly moderate in their description.
And frankly, as long as the only modification you do to an engine is adding fuel, the result will at best be modest when it comes to gain in power. However, the way the engine behaves may be felt as lots more. The lean running makes the engine vibrate slightly, and it chokes easier at low rpms. To many riders this improvement alone may be worth it.

It is my humble opinion that Hilltop and AF-XIED does pretty much the same to the engine for all practical purpose. The cost are fairly the same, the difference being that the HT-job does it internally and AF-XIED is an external ad on.

So, now that I make such a bold claim as comparing the HT to another product, am I suicidal? Allow me to explain before hell brakes loose.

HT claims that the engine is still able to adapt to different cans and set-ups. This means that O2 sensor is still in use. And as long as the O2 is considered, the modification to engine managment must modify the suggested correction from O2 in order to add more fuel, as is the case with AF-XIED.

In order to make a dramatic change to the behaviour the airflow through the engine needs to be changed, and both options above only affects the fuel. Sure, ignition may be affected as richer fuel burns faster and thus a slightly change of timing as the mixture changes may do well. But we are taking small changes here. Remember the HT job is clamed to improve the gas-milage, and that excludes heavy changes.

What about the Dyno-charts before-after?
Well, some of the guys have been kind enough to share they Dyno-charts. The thing is though, all the after-charts that I've seen shows pretty much what you may read from dynocharts made by others (plenty of them on the net), while the before-charts shows ridiculously low output. Again, I will remind you of the claim from HT that the gain in power will at best be modest, it's all about how the engine behaves better from getting slightly more fuel. I can not explain the low before-output, as it does not make sense.

That's my saying :beerjug:
Shoot!

In my case I was suggesting that the 1200 hexhead was a fairly old design

In my case I was suggesting that the 1200 hexhead was a fairly old design

Well, its into its fifth year now, and rumors will have it to be within it's final year at the current configuration.
On the other hand, I'm curious to what to get if I want a newer design?

You’re right, my position is different from yours. This is, after all, a discussion forum, which would be very dull, even pointless, if we all agreed on everything all of the time. I was also shown a 40:1 afr dyno print when I took my bike back to Hilltop for a refund, to show how dangerously lean my bike was running. I was even asked to absolve Hilltop from any liability in the event that my bike blew up if it was returned to standard. It didn’t, of course.

Well I have had mine done...
1, What I wanted was the removal of the dip in the curve at about 3k revs. Or in old money 30 to 35mph in 3rd gear. Which is typical when riding in built up areas.
2, I also wanted the bike when at a steady speed to be smoother. Yes I tried it with cruise control but felt the engine was almost hunting?

I had the map loaded and took it for a spin. Geoffs Map certainly sorted number one out. Very HAPPY! I can ride the bike in 2nd gear at 30 to 33mph no problem. I suspect an increase in torque and or just better fuelling?

With regards with number 2 the hunting at a steady speed has improved certainly not eliminated. I am running total standard bike. At its next service I will change the plugs and fit a K&N air filter which might improve it further but it could be thats the way boxers are. Am i Happy YES

Now I live 25 miles away, and i umm and arrd from the moment i woke up until I arrived at HT premises. I had to queue. Bit the bullet and went for it. If I was not happy I could have the bike back within 35 minutes and have my refund. I would honestly say Geoffs map does improve running of the bike.

Would I go back again? Absolutely YES. The journey home was via the long way, 100 plus miles, overtakes were sweeter.

As regards to cost its not a bad price when you consider a bit of plastic called a mudsling costs £120 and BMW charge £200 for a software download for hill assist.

Trust me if if was not happy or felt it made not enough difference I would get a refund. My bike is Euro3 It must further improve Euro 4.

If anyone has any doubts then I hope this clears this up.

With regards with number 2 the hunting at a steady speed has improved certainly not eliminated. I am running total standard bike. At its next service I will change the plugs and fit a K&N air filter which might improve it further but it could be thats the way boxers are.

Had my KTM 1290 done @ Hilltop and it Hunts at 3k, doing 50mph through m/way restrictions with the cruise on isn't very good with the hunting, feels as tho the throttle is on/off-on/off so means you have to select another gear to eliminate riding @ 3k, tbh i would have expected no hunting whatsoever.

I am happy it has improved my bike and that's all that matters.

You may well be happy with your bikes and that's good.

If you only eaten liver how will you know what else is available.

Enjoy your bikes

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I am happy it has improved my bike and that's all that matters.

You may well be happy with your bikes and that's good.

If you only eaten liver how will you know what else is available.

Enjoy your bikes

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Have a great time on your bike trip and enjoy the smoother ride.

It is well publicised that Geoff offers a money back guarantee.

However, if it were me and I had to make a round trip of maybe 400 miles or so, would I bother to reclaim £350? Nope, life's too short.

The guy who had his GS Hilltopped prior to me having my RT done told me he couldn't notice a difference. There are more out there who don't post on the subject.

For clarity, mine was better, it would pull a gear higher at almost any given speed and I was happy.

However, I will not be getting my LC done as I don't notice any holes in the mid range or chugging that I did on my SC.

Well I had my Africa twin DCT done a few weeks ago and can't notice any difference, unfortunately. And I would have a round trip of about 300 miles to have hilltop put the bike back to standard (if it isn't already) but it's proving very difficult for hilltop to arrange a time slot to fit me in, fully booked up for a good few weeks apparently/unfortunately.. It's a matter of plugging the bike into the laptop for 20 minutes or so, so I wouldn't have thought it that hard.. I appreciate people have great results from Hilltop, but not in my case, and with mine being a DCT that won't work on the rolling road there's no before and after graph to even prove if the ecu flash was completed successfully.

I've just this hour come back from a week touring Scotland with a mate who commented many times that my bike is taking years off his life with its over rich exhaust (aftermarket) fumes, so surely the fueling isn't right..

It's a real shame and a pain in the arse as I took the time and hard earned cash to get the ecu flash done and was expecting good results. Maybe I was just unlucky.

You know you can get your “hard earned cash” back - so not sure why you are coming across so “whiny”.

Well I had my Africa twin DCT done a few weeks ago and can't notice any difference, unfortunately. And I would have a round trip of about 300 miles to have hilltop put the bike back to standard (if it isn't already) but it's proving very difficult for hilltop to arrange a time slot to fit me in, fully booked up for a good few weeks apparently/unfortunately.. It's a matter of plugging the bike into the laptop for 20 minutes or so, so I wouldn't have thought it that hard.. I appreciate people have great results from Hilltop, but not in my case, and with mine being a DCT that won't work on the rolling road there's no before and after graph to even prove if the ecu flash was completed successfully.

I've just this hour come back from a week touring Scotland with a mate who commented many times that my bike is taking years off his life with its over rich exhaust (aftermarket) fumes, so surely the fueling isn't right..

It's a real shame and a pain in the arse as I took the time and hard earned cash to get the ecu flash done and was expecting good results. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Can’t you whip off the ecu and post it to them. Sure they could fit that in within a couple of days. Especially if your progress is listed on various forums.

I couldn’t tell the difference either after Hilltop had ‘done’ whatever to my XT1200Z. If you do take it back for a refund, as I did, expect to be made to wait about 3 hours while ‘it’ is removed, along with dire warnings about your bike running dangerously lean, that it’ll blow up, and you may be asked to face Geoff’s cctv cameras to state that you absolve Hilltop of any liability if it does. He’ll then tell you that there will be no record of your bike ever having been to Hilltop.

But you’ll be £350 better off and ride off noting that it feels no different to ride and runs as Honda intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom