Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of sending my ECU over for a flash. Is it worth it?

Can't be arsed reading all the other threads

Yes if you are to keep the bike for 2+ plus years. Anything less than that is not cost effective from my point of view.
It does make bike so much more better though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of sending my ECU over for a flash. Is it worth it?

Can't be arsed reading all the other threads
As a tight fisted scotsman; nothing like stereotypes!

The increase in midrange, better flexibility and in gear drive, you'll also get better fuel consumption as long as you don't use the extra performance !

Would I spent more money there; took the rr after the gsa. Long trip from Edinburghshiresvilletoon, but worth it.

Or

Yes get ecu done.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Will let you know soon..
I am convinced it will and have been cycnical in the past but the evidence speaks for itself, people are happy.

Its about expectations. All I want is the fueling sorting out, if it has little more torgue then thats a bonus.

If you are not too keen on disconnecting the ECU (BMSX) and ship it abroad, there is another alternative that will also richen up the fuel and make a difference to the engine. AF-XIED will do just that.

The roads in my area are finally MC-friendly so I got to test my homebuilt AFX.., and even though it's not a revolution it certainly makes the engine running sweeter. I find my self able to drive at a higher gear than before if I want, and as a bonus the consumption has dropped by 7%. The advantage is that you may keep the bike running while you wait for the ordered part, and the parts may easily be removed any time in the future and perhaps be used in another bike.

If you are not too keen on disconnecting the ECU (BMSX) and ship it abroad, there is another alternative that will also richen up the fuel and make a difference to the engine. AF-XIED will do just that.

The roads in my area are finally MC-friendly so I got to test my homebuilt AFX.., and even though it's not a revolution it certainly makes the engine running sweeter. I find my self able to drive at a higher gear than before if I want, and as a bonus the consumption has dropped by 7%. The advantage is that you may keep the bike running while you wait for the ordered part, and the parts may easily be removed any time in the future and perhaps be used in another bike.

Just saw this on their website:

"Use of the BMW AFXIED is no longer recommended for 2014 and later liquid cooled R1200. Field updates to the ECM by BMW Dealers during routine service department visits are creating incompatibility between the ECM and the AFXIED.
The field upgrade was something beyond our control, with no know issues prior to the new ECM load occurring in late 2016. With the field upgrade slowly propagating the change, the situation was not discovered until early 2017. This resulted in our de-certification of the R1200 LC models."

Will let you know soon..
I am convinced it will and have been cycnical in the past but the evidence speaks for itself, people are happy.

Its about expectations. All I want is the fueling sorting out, if it has little more torgue then thats a bonus.

What’s wrong with your fuelling? my 2018 Rallye TE is fine in that respect - I’m on my 5th 1200 since 2005, never had an issue with ‘fueling’ on any of them

Just saw this on their website:

"Use of the BMW AFXIED is no longer recommended for 2014 and later liquid cooled R1200. Field updates to the ECM by BMW Dealers during routine service department visits are creating incompatibility between the ECM and the AFXIED.
The field upgrade was something beyond our control, with no know issues prior to the new ECM load occurring in late 2016. With the field upgrade slowly propagating the change, the situation was not discovered until early 2017. This resulted in our de-certification of the R1200 LC models."

Nightrider has a fix that has been extensively field tested (on my bike and another). They are due to release it soon. My report of performance below.

Those who followed the Wideband O2 thread in the Oilhead forum know that I did extensive testing on lambda-shifting technology on R1150s, R1100s and R1200s through the Camhead. On my R1150RT, the Innovate Motorsports LC-1 brought performance benefits and gave me extensive AFR datalogging capability, which allowed me to measure and document many of the Motronic’s and BMSK’s features which had long been unknown. Wideband O2 Testing on the R1150RT

In short, lambda-shifting technology modifies the O2 sensor signal in such a way that the Motronic, BMSK or BMSX (in the Wethead) is persuaded to richen the mixture by 2-8% (user selectable). Because of long term trims which are in all BMW fueling computers, the fueling gains which are “learned” in Closed Loop during lambda-shifting get applied to the entire fueling map. This means there is a richer mixture from idle right up through WOT.

I’ve been riding a 2017 R1200RTW now for a few months and like everything about the bike, including its performance and fueling. I was surprised that compared to my 2004 R1150RT with 8% richer mixture, the stock RTW required higher RPMs before up-shifting but the engine is really smooth so it wasn’t an issue that needed to be “fixed”. I have also noticed that compared to my 1150, the RTW needs more fuel from a stop to get going—but that too, I adapted to.

Many of you may be aware that Nightrider.com’s AF-XIED has been removed as an upgrade product for the R1200 water-cooled bikes. The problem that caused the AF-XIED to be pulled from new water cooled bikes is that BMW added a new O2 Sensor test (BOST, BMW O2 Test) in 2016 that caused the BMSX to generate an error code, which kept the engine from entering Closed Loop operation, defeating the function of lambda-shifting. Worse yet, BMW kindly added that test to older bikes’ software updates so bikes which had been running fine with AF-XIEDs stopped working. To my knowledge, no one has added LC-2s to a water-cooled bike, but they won’t work either.

Over the last year, a couple of us have been helping Steve at Nightrider to figure out what the BOST is, and a way around it. The first software solution to the AF-XIED (Rev G Software) looked promising initially but didn’t work. Then we generated a better model for what the test was doing and came up with a hardware Relay Adapter Module (RAM) that has been through Beta testing and recently Pre-Production units on various RTWs and GSAWs. Nightrider plans to release a couple dozen units for final checking in the field.

Since I finally had an RTW, I became one of the the Beta testers. The bottom line is that the RAM functions to allow the BOST to PASS so that lambda-shifting will function and produce richer mixtures for riders with AF-XIEDs installed. The add-on RAM will work for all existing AF-XIEDs for BMW motorcycles.

I got a set of RAMs and AF-XIEDs to test on my 2017 R1200RTW about a month ago. The testing went well and the units worked. Because of the RTW's generally good manners and strong performance, I didn’t expect to notice a dramatic improvement. Boy was I wrong! Lambda-shifting (Setting 7 on the AF-XIED) produced much better performance off the line, much better torque response between 1500 and 3000 RPM, and to my great surprise much better gearshift-pro performance. Off the line the bike requires much less throttle to get going without stalling, even allowing starts easily in 2nd gear. At riding speeds, just as with my R1150RT, I’m generally riding one gear higher (e.g. 6th instead of 5th) when acceleration isn’t the objective. The bike accelerates much more eagerly at 2000 RPM and less downshifting is required. I’m not saying I always ride like a poke—far from it—but when I’m cruising or in traffic, the bike needs a lot less downshifting to feel comfortable.

The operation of Gearshift-Pro has changed noticeably, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It’s smoother, with less tendency to lurch. And the effect is true for up and downshifts. I now use Gearshift-Pro most of the time—light and heavy throttle.

I’ll be doing more riding—and less testing—over the next month and look forward to additional improvements as the Long Term Trims develop further as I ride more.

For those of you interested, keep in touch with Beemerboneyard and Nightrider. They should have some units soon that will likely first go to riders who had bought AF-XIEDs and whose bikes had updated/problem software and who have GS-911s so they can confirm the results we've seen on the test bikes.

Does anybody have any evidence of the improvements?
Don't think I've ever seen a dyno. Only the hearsay from people who, let's face it, spend more time polishing than riding.
I think it's a case of the emperors' new clothes with none of you man enough to come forward and say "it's all shite"

Does anybody have any evidence of the improvements?
Don't think I've ever seen a dyno. Only the hearsay from people who, let's face it, spend more time polishing than riding.
I think it's a case of the emperors' new clothes with none of you man enough to come forward and say "it's all shite"

Oh dear you will cause a big fuss with that post :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom