Tyres - which ones for the road

First thing to consider is the type of riding you do - drop the hammer every chance you get? Or are you a more sedate rider through the twisty stuff? Maybe do a lot of motorway commuting? Or two up touring? Sunny Sunday mornings with the lads? This will colour your choice in terms of getting super sticky stuff that only performs best when fully warmed up or touring style dual compound tyres that will return decent mileage.

There really isn't such a thing as a bad road tyre these days - almost all tyres on the market are better than the riders that fit them! :p Mostly it's down to subjective personal preference. I'm also a fan of the PR4's as they give great feedback and are phenomenal in both the dry and the wet (for me anyways) - I have them on both my GS and on my SV1000S. I'm fond of a wee 'progressive' spin through twisty stuff and the PR4's are more capable than I am. Of course, a mate has just fitted Roadtec 01's to his R1200R and reckons they are the canine genitalia. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Just fitted Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s to mine, so far ok and no road noise either. They are more road bias than trail so a good option...

I would say best road tires as in fun to ride (quick steering,grip) are 1)Conti Road Attack3 2) Metzeler Roadtec01 3)Pirelli Scorpion Trail2
You can't go wrong with any of them on the 1200GS air- or watercooled.
But there is very little difference in performance between them so I would take the Pirelli because it even lasts longer than the less sporty offerings from Michelin,Dunlop & Bridgestone !
Amazing tire that PST2;dry,wet,handling and long lasting:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom