Thumbs up for BMW Customer Service!

POL382

Reaction score
I bought a new GSA in January 2015 after moving to Spain.

In Spain there is no option to extend the two year warranty, so in January 2017 the warranty expired.

I put the bike into Automotor in Malaga, which is a BMW dealership, in June 2017 for it 2nd annual service, when I collected the bike it broke down within 14km of leaving the garage.

The bike was recovered to the dealer, 3 days later due to the weekend etc, and it was examined and showed a fault on the ECU indicating that water ingress was the issue. The dealer assumed that it was over enthusiastic jet washing that had caused the issue, so they offered free parts for the next annual service as an apology.

Last Monday the bike went in for the fork station recall and when I picked it up they has freshly washed it, this time I got 20km before the engine cut out, engine management light came on and the bike wouldn't restart.

The bike was again recovered back to the dealer. The bike was examined and it was eventually found that the righthand switchgear was allowing water in and shorting the electronics.

The dealer applied to BMW Motorrad for the work to be carried out free of charge and they agreed.

I know there were issues with the switchgear on other LC's in the past and this was probably a bike from the same batch. Being retired and in Andalusia I do not intentionally ride in the rain so the faulty switchgear hadn't presented itself sooner.

However credit where credit is due, the dealer or BMW could have tried to fob me off and charge me for the repairs, they didn't and I didn't have to make a fuss to get this resolved.

Thank you to Automotor, Malaga and to BMW Motorrad! :thumby:

Nice when things go really well, kudos to the dealer and yourself for pointing this out, normally we only see the moaners here.

Nice to hear of good service!

I took my 2016 R1200R in for it's annual service in February and mentioned that the centre stand was slightly corroded and the headlamp and the instrument binnacle had shown signs of moisture ingress (fogging) when the weather was really wet. I also mentioned the filler cap spring had failed as it wouldn't hold itself up. All affected parts were replaced under warranty without any quibbling. The dealer was North Oxford Garage, so no complaints from me :thumb2

Sounds to me like each time you go to the dealer they jet wash something to death :nenau

I seen that when they where doing my service and fork recall, told them, keep that away from my bike, I will clean it in the rain on the way home...................

The later type switch gear appears to be a bit of a weak point

I know a couple of people who have had goodwill claims processed for switchgear issues when the bike was well out of warranty

Back
Top Bottom