Rear shock failure, 2010 ESA, Showa vs WP replacement?

Woland

Reaction score
So my rear ESA shock is leaking rather badly, but for a early 2010 GSA at 85000km's that's not all that surprising.

The question I have for the knowledgeable folks here is, since I as a short term fix plan to replace it with a used one, does is matter if I replace it with a Showa or a WP?

What on it originally is a Showa, but while browsing ebay it seems easier to find a decent low milage WP. Realoem seems to indicate that a later WP should be a direct replacement.

Anyone knows for sure?

So my rear ESA shock is leaking rather badly, but for a early 2010 GSA at 85000km's that's not all that surprising.

The question I have for the knowledgeable folks here is, since I as a short term fix plan to replace it with a used one, does is matter if I replace it with a Showa or a WP?

What on it originally is a Showa, but while browsing ebay it seems easier to find a decent low milage WP. Realoem seems to indicate that a later WP should be a direct replacement.

Anyone knows for sure?

Why not repair one you have ? That would be a lot cheaper and you will get much better performance from your old shock
Low milage shock is full of old oil ...
I would PM you but I'm not subscribed yet....

Can't get it fixed locally.

Plan is to get a decent short term replacement, let my local mechanic change it out, get the failed one Wilberized and re-install it at next service. A few quid is less important than downtime ;)

Just realised where you are... hm Wp
and Showa should work as replacement...

Gothenburg Sweden. Don't have a garage, and we're not exactly swamped with competent mechanics up here in the sparsely populated north ;)

Gothenburg Sweden. Don't have a garage, and we're not exactly swamped with competent mechanics up here in the sparsely populated north ;)

well rebuild of the old shock would cost you around £90 let me know if you need it done.

Sent from the stars ...shock absorber rebuilder...

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind :) Really ought to get a different spring as well though, my weight is somewhat above the puny 80kg BMW considers normal ;)

Just to make sure, no need to break out the soldering iron and change connectors and/or the electronics won't be freaked out by a WP?

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind :) Really ought to get a different spring as well though, my weight is somewhat above the puny 80kg BMW considers normal ;)

Just to make sure, no need to break out the soldering iron and change connectors and/or the electronics won't be freaked out by a WP?

I don't think so ... worse case scenario you will not be able connect electric preload but i'm pretty sure it will straight swop ..

Sent using my nokia 3210PRO ...shock absorber rebuilder...

Hi Woland,

Ignoring the fact you’re in Sweden for a moment, I have a WP rear that was removed from my 2011 GS. I was going to offer it on the forum at some point.

What I had a couple of years ago was a failed front shock, the rear was fine, but I replaced front and rear with a set of Wilburs.

A long shot probably, but if you’re interested let me know.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need the ESA only a Showa will do. If you don’t need the ESA then any hexhead shock will work.
Get a cheap one off eBay and have it delivered to MCT for rebuild. Have them send it to you via appropriate courier.
Sorted.

Anyone knows for sure?[/QUOTE]

thats a good question and something I often wondered,on a TC can you swap a WP shock with esa onto a bike with a showa esa shock and visa versa ie is the wiring plugs the same on both shocks?

We were always told that WP and Showa used different software so not compatible. The actuators are certainly different.

Got my hands on a Showa so should be set.

Realoem does list the WP as a direct replacement as far as I can tell, and figuring that if someone would actually pay the silly price to BMW for a new replacement part they would get a WP, one would think it ought to work?

If you can find a Showa in the UK I should be going to Gothenburg for the 4th May, could bring it over.

If you need your old one rebuilt I could bring it back to the UK, have a spare then and would only need to pay postage to Sweden one way.

If you need your old one rebuilt I could bring it back to the UK, have a spare then and would only need to pay postage to Sweden one way.

Very generous offer indeed. Most appreciated.

My plan is to swap in the used one and get the leaking one Wilberized by their reseller in Sweden, not least to get a spring on it that's right for my weight, which will probably take about 2-3weeks to get done.

Depending on the condition of the replacement, I may get it rebuilt once I get the original, then fixed, back on the bike. But that's probably like a month off at least.

If my plan falls through I may take advantage of the generous help offered ;)

Found this thread http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-general-chatter/11113-will-fit.html which seems to indicate that the Showa and WP units are interchangeable.

I am using 2009 ESA units from Showa shocks on a 2012 GS which were White power. They calibrate ok except for the one helmet and luggage position which is a couple of mm higher.
Without looking at the data you would not notice the difference.
The rebound motors at the bottom seem the same.

Back
Top Bottom