KTM 1290S. Dirtiest bike I have ever owned.

Nick Marshall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First off, I need to say it's a fabulous bike in every way except one.

Bloody hell! Doesn't it get dirty quick.

When I rode my last one home from the dealers, around 50 mile. The roads were a bit wet, light rain. Went the back way as it's more fun.

When I got home I was gobsmacked! How could it possibly have got so dirty in such a short period of time!

By comparison. I was out on an old R1200gsa recently. Similar roads and conditions. Bike has the original plastic guard behind the back wheel plus a Mud Sling. Difference was night and day! I didn't feel the need to get the hose pipe out.

Anyone found a worthwhile fix?

Difference was night and day.

This was a few hours out on some wet/dirty country roads, the bike was spotlessly clean leaving the house.

How is this even possible.

(my legs where as bad)
df3b904c932be7925d85182d59675c46.jpg

Sent from a U11

It gets dirtier because you ride it faster! At least you’re actually riding this one, Nick!:D

Why would you care Nick - I thought you sold them once they were dirty (or needing fuel) don't you :p

Joking aside, I noticed the same thing on mine, and I have stuck a rear mudguard extender from pyramid plastics on to see if it helps. Cost about £20, literally just sticks on, and doesn't even look too bad.

I thought it was worth a try because of my experiences of tail tidies; bikes look better but also start to throw up a lot more shite that the OE fittings used to catch.

I haven't been out in particularly bad conditions yet, but I think it has improved things; I'll post again after a proper test.

This was a few hours out on some wet/dirty country roads, the bike was spotlessly clean leaving the house.

How is this even possible.

(my legs where as bad)
df3b904c932be7925d85182d59675c46.jpg

Sent from a U11

It's mostly because ye followed some loon down shitey back roads through the depths of bandit country on the way to Gorey! :p

There's a plan emerging for a rear mudguard Nick. My experience has been the same as yours. Touring on this bike would be a messy affair for sure, with the back of pillion legs getting blasted with wet/mud. My GSA is a complete contrast to this. I could understand the dirt if you bought the 'R' model, but they really should've thought about this issue for the 'S'.

That GS above is missing it's rear splash guard as a starter for 10! Coupled with a Puig hugger and Mudsling keeps rider and pillion clean as.

I called Puig direct about the need for a solution ASAP and the R&D guy told me it won't happen this year but is on the radar. That probably translates as it ain't gonna happen.

I've woken up cheerful again! :D

Just as an edit to this: When you've spent nearly £2k on pukka Rukka the concept of covering it in road salt and mud loses it's 'fun' / 'more dirt means I'm more of a man' appeal.

Just as an edit to this: When you've spent nearly £2k on pukka Rukka the concept of covering it in road salt and mud loses it's 'fun' / 'more dirt means I'm more of a man' appeal.

I had the same concern. A mate has spent the same amount as you on Rukka gear and I have Klim stuff and, like you, don't want to have to wash it every week. If it's going to be mucky I wear Army surplus Goretex over-trousers bought from ebay for about £30. They zip right down both sides so dead easy to get on and off even with big boots on and although the Klim/Rukka stuff is waterproof the over-trousers stop the trousers getting covered in crap. Have ridden all through the winter and haven't had to wash the Klim stuff at all. The 1190 gets as dirty doing 10 miles as it does doing 310, so I'm resigned to having to give it a clean after every ride in these dirty conditions, although having treated it with ACF50 it makes it a lot easier to clean it up after.

Thats what I've been doing too. Over clobber to protect the good stuff. Point is, if you're touring in 25+ degrees you wont want to layer up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but the beauty is you can whip them off quicker than the Chippendales and bungee them to the bike if you have no room in the topbox etc

You need to try the BMW Scrambler... I’m covered in road shit front and back...

Back
Top Bottom