Portsmouth to Santander ferry

I've found BF to be very helpful when I've had to make changes to a booking.

But I'll also add that when it's rough, it can be very, very rough.
I suspect the percentage of very rough trips is very low but on the way back from Santander last year
we only managed to leave the cabin when we were back in the English Channel.

Prior to that walking anywhere was simply not an option so we stayed in bed, strapped in.
There are straps on the bed to hold the bedding in place when the bed is fitted flush with the wall.
Top tip - if it does get rough use these straps to secure yourself in the bed.

Bon voyage.

Stuff the life jacket under the mattress to wedge yourself against the bulkhead.

The wife and I have done the ferry to Spain for the last three years. I personally would not bother paying extra for a 4 berth cabin for the two of us. I found the two berth perfectly fine considering how much time, apart from sleeping, you actually spend in them. What I would say is that unless one of you is reasonably agile, make sure you don’t get a cabin with bunk beds. Getting down from the top one is not the easiest, and I wouldn’t fancy it on a rough sea.
We have always taken the Sunday evening Portsmouth/Bilbao route. This leaves late evening on Sunday, giving you a leisurely ride down on the Sunday afternoon. It stops off at Roscoff en route briefly for a crew change. You also spend Monday night on board, but you arrive at Bilbao at, from memory, about 8am, which gives you plenty of flexibility on where to stay on your first night in Spain. We treat it as part of the holiday. I consider the food and drink to be very reasonably priced. No more than you would pay in a pub. The choice of beer is pretty awful mind you.

The wife and I have done the ferry to Spain for the last three years. I personally would not bother paying extra for a 4 berth cabin for the two of us. I found the two berth perfectly fine considering how much time, apart from sleeping, you actually spend in them. What I would say is that unless one of you is reasonably agile, make sure you don’t get a cabin with bunk beds. Getting down from the top one is not the easiest, and I wouldn’t fancy it on a rough sea.
We have always taken the Sunday evening Portsmouth/Bilbao route. This leaves late evening on Sunday, giving you a leisurely ride down on the Sunday afternoon. It stops off at Roscoff en route briefly for a crew change. You also spend Monday night on board, but you arrive at Bilbao at, from memory, about 8am, which gives you plenty of flexibility on where to stay on your first night in Spain. We treat it as part of the holiday. I consider the food and drink to be very reasonably priced. No more than you would pay in a pub. The choice of beer is pretty awful mind you.

Hi Mark,

Is that the economy service? I have seen this and wondered what is it like? So do they charge you two nights for a cabin?

Hi Mark,

Is that the economy service? I have seen this and wondered what is it like? So do they charge you two nights for a cabin?

Its not the economy version, I'm taking that trip this Sunday, its on the Cap Finistere, no extra charge for 2 nights, plus if your on Club Voyage you get 2 free £8.35 breakfasts, though gets in at 0745, so will have to get up early for that!

Its not the economy version, I'm taking that trip this Sunday, its on the Cap Finistere, no extra charge for 2 nights, plus if your on Club Voyage you get 2 free £8.35 breakfasts, though gets in at 0745, so will have to get up early for that!

the service from Plymouth arriving in Santander at lunchtime is friendlier.

Its about time I travelled by bike through France. Done it a few times by car. Perhaps a ride there and the ferry back, sounds like a plan.

Regarding the passenger v economy question. I have travelled by both and found the standard pretty good. Yes less facilities on the economy service but the fare is less.

Next month I have 2 trips on the Baie de Seine booked. The timings suited me and just because its the economy service it didn't deter me.

BF also do a week circular route with Hotels including Breakfast and evening meals of the Picos touching North Portugal and back to Santander.
The deal meant the hotels worked out about £200.00 for the week as sail drive package.
Hotels were excelent apart from the end one were the food was a little under whelming.

Otherwise, we have seen a few accidents on the vehicle decks over the years, several that have left guys starting their holiday in A&E in the UK. Firstly, don't discard your helmet at the port - you can still give you noggin a hefty bash flopping the bike when loading at walking pace. Same with jackets & gloves. The decks can get slippery with oil/diesel/gunk from fish lorries, so no grabbing a handfull of front brake & take it easy with the throttle. The tie down mushroom thingys on the deck need to be avoided & keep an eye out for other passengers of all ages who will wander into your path backwards without looking. A friend of ours broke her tib at Santander when a BF deck hand stepped in front of her bike - she fell on a tie down. Most of all, be patient - there aren't any prizes for reaching terra firma first.

Anyway, have a good trip whatever you decide.

This is great advice

Hi all
I am planning a trip to Portugal next year (probably May) and intend to use the Portsmouth to Santander ferry.
I am looking to the collective for any advice, hints and tips about using the ferry.

Best tip is not to go when there is also a coachload of Welsh women on a Hen Party, who all had more tattoos than teeth.
Ended up with a load of lorry drivers for protection......all sat with empty glasses, see who would crack first and run the gauntlet to the bar.

It was a great ferry. They took good care of my bike. I usually hang around the deck and watch it get lashed down - they made a good job. You don't need your own straps.
It got pretty rough across the Bay of Biscay. When I went down to collect the bike, there was extra lashings on each bike - so they were looking after them.
Usual tip on ferries.....take a piece of stiff cardboard or a piece of carpet sample to protect the saddle from the tie-down strap.

Is it worth the extra for a cabin? A huge YES!

When you check in DO NOT put your cabin door key(a piece of card that also has the WiFi password on it) near your phone or you will spend a hot and sweaty half hour clumping around in search of the information desk for a replacement

When riding down the ramp to deck level 2 give the guy in front plenty of room. It can be slippery and he may stop suddenly at the bottom on instruction from the BF loaders

I pack all I need for the crossing in one pannier bag and my jacket stays in the pannier. Same with gloves etc. Helmet also stays on the bike - saves a lot of hot and sweaty clumping around on the great cabin number search

During the passage it is worth checking out the route back to your bike - D2 stairs/lift, and as said before don’t try and be first to the bikes

Your bike may not have been unstrapped leaving you to figure out how to release the ratchet mechanism (both handles to the fully up position and then lift the inner one to release the pawls)

Have a long hard look at your intended route out of the docks and Santander. It is pretty much straight into spaghetti junction - Google Streetview is your friend

Best tip is not to go when there is also a coachload of Welsh women on a Hen Party, who all had more tattoos than teeth.
Ended up with a load of lorry drivers for protection......all sat with empty glasses, see who would crack first and run the gauntlet to the bar.

It was a great ferry. They took good care of my bike. I usually hang around the deck and watch it get lashed down - they made a good job. You don't need your own straps.
It got pretty rough across the Bay of Biscay. When I went down to collect the bike, there was extra lashings on each bike - so they were looking after them.
Usual tip on ferries.....take a piece of stiff cardboard or a piece of carpet sample to protect the saddle from the tie-down strap.

Is it worth the extra for a cabin? A huge YES!

Hmmm, no teeth usually costs extra!:eek:

When you check in DO NOT put your cabin door key(a piece of card that also has the WiFi password on it) near your phone or you will spend a hot and sweaty half hour clumping around in search of the information desk for a replacement

When riding down the ramp to deck level 2 give the guy in front plenty of room. It can be slippery and he may stop suddenly at the bottom on instruction from the BF loaders

I pack all I need for the crossing in one pannier bag and my jacket stays in the pannier. Same with gloves etc. Helmet also stays on the bike - saves a lot of hot and sweaty clumping around on the great cabin number search

During the passage it is worth checking out the route back to your bike - D2 stairs/lift, and as said before don’t try and be first to the bikes

Your bike may not have been unstrapped leaving you to figure out how to release the ratchet mechanism (both handles to the fully up position and then lift the inner one to release the pawls)

Have a long hard look at your intended route out of the docks and Santander. It is pretty much straight into spaghetti junction - Google Streetview is your friend

I reckon you've pretty well covered it all there. I'm all packed ready for a Sunday sailing and this is pretty much what I've done/about to do

This ferry is shite, totally shite.
I am booked on the return economie service to Portsmouth from Santander on the 20th/21st, or summat like that.....I expect it to be tedious, uncomfortable and costly.....I prefer to travel through France at a leisurely pace.
The Welsh are still doing the fight&fuck cruise then....

Back
Top Bottom