MOT test for vehicles over 40 years old will be abolished

These Tories are on the way to swaying my loyalties if they carry on like this. I know I’m shallow but I’ve got three bikes this could affect and my vote in rural Cambridgeshire is worth next to nothing anyway :D

As for the link posted by Andres, that’d tie in with the requirement from the NOC for good pictures taken from each side which go a long way towards proving that the bike is as close to standard as possible and that any non standard parts are period ones rather than modern day ones.

The government gives with one hand and takes away with the other......I see historic status as a bit of a Trojan horse, within the next 5 years I reckon we will see further restrictions in the use of said vehicles on the grounds of both safety and pollution, this could be like the historic/club Reggo scheme in some Australian states where in exchange for cheap registration (insurance included) you are only supposed to use the bikes for club runs and need to keep a logbook of all miles covered. The other restrictive alternative might be to ban all old vehicles from public roads.

The days of wondering all over Europe on your classic will be coming to an end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The government gives with one hand and takes away with the other......I see historic status as a bit of a Trojan horse, within the next 5 years I reckon we will see further restrictions in the use of said vehicles on the grounds of both safety and pollution, this could be like the historic/club Reggo scheme in some Australian states where in exchange for cheap registration (insurance included) you are only supposed to use the bikes for club runs and need to keep a logbook of all miles covered. The other restrictive alternative might be to ban all old vehicles from public roads.

The days of wondering all over Europe on your classic will be coming to an end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rubbish, it’s not about anything other than offloading the difficult and downright strange vehicle Mot tests for older vehicles, so Vosa’s computer system and tester training, can be tailored to more modern cars.

Thanks Andres. I just thought that they would check the chassis number at MOT & give you an MOT with that number on it so that you could apply to register it. I'm not sure how you prove this now to the DVLA? I suppose it will be the same as how pre 1960's bikes are done now? But I'm not sure how that is done. Is it a dating certificate?

I did exactly this with a 1953 BMW that had been imported and never been registered. Insure it on the chassis number. Get an age cert from the owners club. Add a note saying MoT excempt due to age. And then send everything off with the forms.

They send out someone to check the bike is as described and complete. V5 issued a few days later.
Most important thing is to make sure you get the green Customs and Excise slip to show it’s been declared, when it’s imported.

Whole MOT and tax exemption works one year in arrears , so this year 1977’ reg bikes become tax free. I understand to get MOT exemption you complete a V112 after 21 st May 18. Its not been modified yet but it will probably be section “O” which is currently 1960 and will change to rolling 40 yrs.

Im not sure just being “ historic” on the classification will be enough for mot exemption

Steve

What is the situation if the bike is SORN at the moment? Can I put it back on the road after 21st May without an MoT just by cancelling the SORN.

Guidelines state....

How to declare a vehicle for the 40 year MOT exemption

Vehicle keepers are required to ensure that their vehicles are taxed when used on a
public road. From 20 May 2018, at the point of taxing a vehicle, the vehicle keeper
can declare their vehicle exempt from MOT if it was constructed more than 40 years

ago.
When declaring an exemption, you will be required to confirm that it has not been
substantially changed (as defined in this guidance). This process will be applied to
pre-1960 registered vehicles, as well as newer vehicles in the historic vehicle tax
class.
If the vehicle does not have an MOT and you wish to continue using it on the public
roads, you will have either to undergo an MOT or, if you wish exemption from the

MOT, to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.
If the vehicle has a current MOT certificate but you anticipate that on expiry of that
certificate you will wish exemption from future MOTs you will at the time of
relicensing be required to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.

The section dealing with Form V112 appears to apply to vehicles which have not already been classified as Historic.

How to tax your vehicle in the historic vehicle tax class
Where vehicle keepers first apply for the historic vehicle tax class, it must be done at
a Post Office. If you are declaring that your vehicle is exempt from MOT, you will
need to complete a V112 declaration form, taking into consideration the substantially
changed guidelines, (as defined above). Further re-licensing applications, including
making subsequent declarations that the vehicle does not require an MOT, can be
completed online.

Guidelines state....

When declaring an exemption, you will be required to confirm that it has not been
substantially changed (as defined in this guidance). This process will be applied to
pre-1960 registered vehicles, as well as newer vehicles in the historic vehicle tax
class.

So do we think that a kit car based on a 40+ yr old doner would still need an mot forever?

Had a discussion with my mot man earlier, he has an aquantence with a morgan lookalike kit car that he’s refused to put a ticket on for some years as in his opinion its woefully built. The owner apparently thinks he’ll not be needing one from later this month, and is busy getting it running again with the aim of hitting the road with it. :eek:

This begs the question though will insurance company’s refuse to provide cover for vehicles with no MOT as it can be a higher risk on the road?

This begs the question though will insurance company’s refuse to provide cover for vehicles with no MOT as it can be a higher risk on the road?

Well history says that insurance companies haven’t refused in regards pre 60’s vehicles, so I think that answers your question.

Wonder if "substantially changed" includes the sidecar which might or might not have been attached when last used.

To remove it from SORN you have to either Tax it or sell it and as you can't tax something that isn't insured then that will not be an issue or will it?

I thought that the DVLA had removed the insurance proviso :nenau

Back
Top Bottom