MOT test for vehicles over 40 years old will be abolished

Nice 'n' Fat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate of mine who owns a 77 Gilera moped has just sent me the following

Extract from Bennetts website

From 20 May 2018 the MOT test for vehicles over 40 years old will be abolished. It means that cars and bikes will simultaneously become MOT and VED-exempt the moment they hit 40.

The move means that from next spring, pre-1978 cars and bikes will basically become free to own, other than fuel and insurance expenses.

While pre-1960 vehicles are already MOT-exempt, the new rolling 40-year rule will bring vastly more vehicles into the same fold. And while anything from the 1950s or earlier is likely to be a chore to use in modern traffic, bikes from the late 1970s have the performance and brakes to be viable daily transport.

Although the new rules apply to all ‘Vehicles of Historic Interest’ – VHIs – to use the government’s terms, motorcyclists are likely to feel the positive sides of the new rules most keenly. While few people have the garage space for a collection of cars, it’s easy to shoehorn a variety of motorcycles into a garage. And while bikes have evolved enormously over the last few decades, the fact that they don’t have to pass crash tests, and don’t have power steering, air-conditioning or airbags, means that old ones are far closer to their modern equivalents than cars. A 1970s Ford Cortina wouldn’t make for comfortable or practical modern transport, but something like a 1970s Honda Goldwing or BMW R100RS could make a sedate daily commute with nearly the ease as a modern middleweight.

According to DfT figures, there are around 90,000 currently licensed bikes made in 1978 or before. Of them, around 37,000 are pre-1960 and so already MOT-exempt. The new rules mean some 53,000 existing, licensed 1960-1978 bikes will become MOT-exempt – and the number will rise each year thanks to the rolling 40-year limit. In a couple of years, the first BMW R80 G/Ses will be MOT exempt, for instance, and we’re only seven years away from MOT-exempt, 40-year-old GSX-R750s that still have enough performance to blow away plenty of modern supercars.

........................................................ END ..............................................................

It's a bit weird as I cannot find anything on the DVLA website about this other than the cut-off point for not needing an MOT is 1960 :confused:

The above is also my understanding.

However, by 'understanding' I mean what I have picked up in conversation with people. Likewise, I've come across nothing 'official' stating the above.

However, a very quick Google just now throws up the following that would seem to state otherwise :confused:

LINKY

Andres

I’ve seen mention of this elsewhere but I can’t remember exactly where. Part of the story I was given was that the DVLA might start to tighten up on age related registration for bikes being imported from outside the UK but how they’d do that if you produce proof from a previously acceptable source I really don’t know :nenau

It might seem a bit pointless but I’ll be taking my Norton for an mot test when I register it simply because I’d prefer to have someone else cast an eye over it after me rebuilding it because it’s easy to miss something and if I decide to sell it any potential buyer will probably be happier to see a bit of paper saying it was essentially sound on that day.

Does that mean that when you register a vehicle from abroad that is over 40 years old you no longer need an MOT? If so how would the vehicle be identified?

Does that mean that when you register a vehicle from abroad that is over 40 years old you no longer need an MOT? If so how would the vehicle be identified?

I'm in exactly that position at the moment. As long as you can prove it's date of manufacture and get an age related plate it shouldn't be an issue....... Or have I misunderstood you?

Andres

Here’s a link to the information regarding registering a bike according to the Norton Owners Club.

It should help you a bit Andres even though you’ll need to get someone else to give you a letter with the date of manufacture etc.

https://www.nortonownersclub.org/records-dating/dating

You can follow other links on the site to get more information and anything that says it’s a members only area just ask and I’ll look it up for you.

Thanks Andres. I just thought that they would check the chassis number at MOT & give you an MOT with that number on it so that you could apply to register it. I'm not sure how you prove this now to the DVLA? I suppose it will be the same as how pre 1960's bikes are done now? But I'm not sure how that is done. Is it a dating certificate?

I have just had to mot the Guzzi which was first registered on 28th Jan 1978 so it’s over 40 years old but still needed an mot.:nenau

Edit: it does say(which I missed:blast) from the 20th of May 2018.:blast:blast

I get a coffee while the timer clicks down when I take bikes for an mot test and the tester and I usually just stand around chatting after he’s checked brakes, lights, wheel bearings and suspension. Noise is never an issue if he likes it (an H2 with expansion chambers for example) and as long as you have a legal number plate with you when you turn up he’s happy even if it’s not fitted :D

I have a hypothetical query with regard to vintage rebuilds and the Trigger's broom paradox.
Is it purely on original build date or does a new bike get created if a percentage of replacement is involved?

Thanks Andres. I just thought that they would check the chassis number at MOT & give you an MOT with that number on it so that you could apply to register it. I'm not sure how you prove this now to the DVLA? I suppose it will be the same as how pre 1960's bikes are done now? But I'm not sure how that is done. Is it a dating certificate?

Ah I see, yes you'll need a dating cert. obtained through the owner's club or similar. I'm fortunate enough to have full Spanish documentation with my bike as it was road legal (in Spain) when I bought it so I just need to submit the Spanish log book with my application.

Having said all that my understanding is that I STILL need to get an initial MOT and submit that with the Spanish log book in order to get the bike registered here so, yes, you'll still need an MOT initially.

I get a coffee while the timer clicks down when I take bikes for an mot test and the tester and I usually just stand around chatting after he’s checked brakes, lights, wheel bearings and suspension. Noise is never an issue if he likes it (an H2 with expansion chambers for example) and as long as you have a legal number plate with you when you turn up he’s happy even if it’s not fitted :D

We have the same MOT tester :D And ta for the Norton link but as per my comments above I am (famous last words) sorted on getting an age related plate.

I have a hypothetical query with regard to vintage rebuilds and the Trigger's broom paradox.
Is it purely on original build date or does a new bike get created if a percentage of replacement is involved?

Eat your heart out young man LINKY

Andres

These Tories are on the way to swaying my loyalties if they carry on like this. I know I’m shallow but I’ve got three bikes this could affect and my vote in rural Cambridgeshire is worth next to nothing anyway :D

As for the link posted by Andres, that’d tie in with the requirement from the NOC for good pictures taken from each side which go a long way towards proving that the bike is as close to standard as possible and that any non standard parts are period ones rather than modern day ones.

They do have a mathematical formula that they use when issuing age relate Reg Numbers.
If more than 75% is from the specified year or earlier (bits you can see and identify) then no problems.

HTH
Neil

They do have a mathematical formula that they use when issuing age relate Reg Numbers.
If more than 75% is from the specified year or earlier (bits you can see and identify) then no problems.

HTH
Neil

Don’t encourage him, the classics and restoration sections used to be areas you could retreat to and find peace and common sense 😀

My swearing about Nortons probably lowers the tone a bit but that Commando of mine would drive anyone mad.

Andy,
As far as 'm concerned, your Notrun is not a proper Norton, it has too many cylinders :D
I prefer singles, such as my '26 Model 19, a 588 long stroke OHV :rob

Neil

Andy,
As far as 'm concerned, your Notrun is not a proper Norton, it has too many cylinders :D
I prefer singles, such as my '26 Model 19, a 588 long stroke OHV :rob

Neil

I agree and given the issues I’ve had sorting this out I think it’s better that I avoid British bikes in the future.

Back
Top Bottom